[Albion] Will the awful showing at Everton force action in the transfer window?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Regarding Villa, SheffU, Everton, Leeds and all the usual suspects net spending massively, unfortunately for you and I, it’s not interest bearing bank debt. Putting their futures in jeopardy.

They all have immensely wealthy owners funding the financial doping.

Chuck enough money at something and under the law of averages eventually you’ll secure PL safety.
Have the teams you’ve mentioned spent anymore than the annual tv money windfall? In fact all clubs have spent quite well and would of imagined we would of spent around £40m to strengthen in key areas.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Have the teams you’ve mentioned spent anymore than the annual tv money windfall? In fact all clubs have spent quite well and would of imagined we would of spent around £40m to strengthen in key areas.

Agreed, instead less than 1miilion... something somewhere just doesn’t make sense...

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Agreed, instead less than 1miilion... something somewhere just doesn’t make sense...

Zero gate revenue might have something to do with it?

If we went mental and spent £20m every time we got beaten away by a top 8 club we'd be in liquidation right now.

The crazy thing is we actually played well for large parts of the match!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
An absolutely laughable post by possibly the most arrogant person to ever contribute to this forum, who also happens to have never watched us live, and only started to follow us since Graham Potter arrived.
For someone who holds their own opinion in such high regard, whilst being thoroughly dismissive of others, you’re doing a spectacular job of completely missing the point. You’re not reading any anger in my posts, it’s frustration, frustration at watching us make rudimentary mistakes both defensively and offensively. There also isn’t really much of a cry for “Hollywoodesque” signings, those are your words and quite frankly they’re posted without foundation. Most people are looking at our threadbare striking options, it’s apparent to most that those options are incredibly limited, as of now Maupay is realistically our only Premier League striker, Connolly is a work in progress, Zeqiri? **** knows, but tradition suggests he might not make the leap from the Swiss 2nd division to the Premier League straight away. Again, I’ll reiterate, though I’m sure you’ll happily misquote me, there’s not much call for superstar striker, just an honest backup or alternative to Maupay, someone like Josh King from Bournemouth would cost a modest fee, we’re not exactly calling for Cavani.
Defensively, considering the amount of soft goals we’ve shipped from set pieces and crosses it’s not unfair for our fans to question what on Earth is going on.
Finally, considering how superior you believe your understanding to be, how is it possible that you don’t appreciate a very simple rule in football, fans of a team will always be upset when their team loses, maybe if you had a team of your own to follow and had any kind of emotional relationship with them maybe you’d understand.

He might not be a life long Albion fan but Swansman has far more knowledge about football and talks more sense about football than nearly anyone on this board.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

If we went mental and spent £20m every time we got beaten away by a top 8 club we'd be in liquidation right now.

We only had a huff and puff when Everton let us after going 4-1 up.

We all get told gate receipts are a drop in the ocean compared to tv money, which it is.

You are aware there are two transfer windows a year ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Yes.

Just the same broadcasting income as us, paid in tranches throughout the season, bar a few £m variation for final league position. Less a £16.5m rebate per club to Sky this season, for last.

Remember that the majority of total club income goes on player wages anyway, so broadcasting income simply isn’t there to spend £100m to £150m on new player fees in a summer window.

Instead it comes from the owners of the likes of Everton and Villa pumping in incredible sums to fund a squad they otherwise couldn’t afford. Everton recorded a £100m accounting loss in 2017/18, in cash terms bankrolled by Moshiri.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He might not be a life long Albion fan but Swansman has far more knowledge about football and talks more sense about football than nearly anyone on this board.
Why do you think that out of interest? We had a bench yesterday with no attacking threat whatsoever. If being content with that is superior football knowledge then I will get my coat.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
He might not be a life long Albion fan but Swansman has far more knowledge about football and talks more sense about football than nearly anyone on this boards.

:love: :love: :love: :cheery: Swansman:cheery: Swansman:cheery: Swansman:cheery: Swansman:cheery: :love: :love: :love:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But we’ve only conceded 2 headers out of the 10 we’ve conceded so far this season which isn’t that many.

You would have to go through every goal conceded individually to work out how many were headers over the past 3 and a bit seasons and not even I’m sad enough to do that!

The fact is though that in 2017/2018 we conceded more set piece goals in a season than any other premier league side in the last 10 years, with the exception of Fulham in 2013/2014, with Duffy, Stephens and Murray playing nearly every single game. So to say their loss is the reason we’ve struggled from set pieces as some have is wrong.

And to be honest, this season we’ve only played 4 games and 3 of those were against top sides with elite level players including Fernandes and James so it’s too soon to make any comparisons with this season anyway.

In this discussion I’ve included throughout the LC ManU game, where we allowed McTominay a gift from heaven. Because we played Dunk/White/Burn so essentially our PL defensive set up. Plus Maguire’s header was goal bound until Maupay cheated.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

No one said every time we lose. All I and many others have said we all recognised need for striker signing. We’ve cleared wages, generated funds but still haven’t signed one. That is the part I don’t understand as it doesn’t make sense for a team genuinely trying to develop.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Tosh fella. He's often patronising.

Don't doubt his general head knowledge, but the Albion doesn't flow through his heart or veins like it does to the majority on here.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

You’re right, he’s such a visionary and footballing intellect that he sees absolutely no problem with dangerously weak recruitment in attack and repeated defensive errors. Some stuff he posts can be interesting, but his disdain for actual Brighton fans is starting to become a shade unbearable. If you buy into all of his self indulgent nonsense then good for you.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oh mate - I'm not having that one. Defend Swansman if you will, but don't insult nearly everyone on this board with that throw away remark. That's not on or true.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'd be ok without the LWB. March is doing well, Burn isn't a LWB and Bernado is pants, but can muddle through in that area.

Striker or lack thereof is negligent. To put all eggs in Maupay staying fit is a staggering gamble. Connolly is handy but learning, don't expect Zeqiri will near first team for a while, Izzy back a bonus, but still need minimum +1 who is able at this level.

The other I'd love to see is GK. Steele in not PL level imho, Ryan has some good attributes like passing and the odd worldie, but he's lacking in other areas, some elementary. Not enough height, command of area and as good as useless with league penalties against Ugurcan Kakir that we were linked with looks awesome. GK can earn or lose a good few points a season. Genuine PL standard competition is needed.

Striker + GK, certain we won't get the latter.

cue: but Ryan is the best keeper we've ever had comments.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
But this is also our 4th consecutive year in PL. I would have thought we would at least be competitive budget wise with lower half of the table..however this season we have done nothing more than remove 7 first team players and replace them with a free transfer and a RB for less than a million. This hardly screams out of a team pushing on. Every other team around us has similar C19 issues, yet we seem to have taken it to a new level.

Once we get a few injuries/ suspensions we will have a problem. GP gas already started excuses of a young inexperienced side yesterday so that sort of tells you what the common response will be

I’m sad to say, but I fear we could be this seasons Norwich city. Ie we play attractive football ( like them), we hardly spent any money in the TW ( nor did they on promotion)and ultimately like Norwich that could be our downfall. I hope not, but the similarities and warning signs are there to see.

I trust the people in charge of this club, we spend what we can where we can, if we go down so be it. I have been supporting this club since 68 seen most games in the lower divisions, we are the most promoted relegated side in the league I expect this to continue!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I trust the people in charge of this club, we spend what we can where we can, if we go down so be it. I have been supporting this club since 68 seen most games in the lower divisions, we are the most promoted relegated side in the league I expect this to continue!

Regardless of our results this Albion team is playing the most attractive football I’ve seen from an Albion team, given the level we are at, of any Albion team I have ever seen.

As you say, if we go down so be it but I am totally happy with the players and manager we have. Yes we need to improve in some areas but having seen us at the arse end of tier four I struggle to complain about where we are and how we play now.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

Good comments, totally agree, however I would like to see us at least trying to give it a go with needed acquisitions, rather then muddling through, square pegs in round holes with fingers and toes crossed that everything is ok.. I thought we had gone past that stage since realising the error of our ways under SH.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Regardless of our results this Albion team is playing the most attractive football I’ve seen from an Albion team, given the level we are at, of any Albion team I have ever seen.

As you say, if we go down so be it but I am totally happy with the players and manager we have. Yes we need to improve in some areas but having seen us at the arse end of tier four I struggle to complain about where we are and how we play now.

All clubs try to improve on what they have but three will go down, as long as we stay in business that's good enought for me, obviously not good enought for many on here!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports