[Albion] Will the awful showing at Everton force action in the transfer window?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No, he’s not saying that you see it from a “sober perspective“, he’s saying that you see it from a completely different perspective to the rest of us because you aren’t one of us. You don’t have the emotional connection to the club that the rest of us do. It’s easy for you to type thoughtless comments because when all is said and done you’ll log out of NSC one day and never come back, you’ll stop watching our games and will stop checking our scores, the rest of us have an emotional bond with the club which is non negotiable, it’s worth remembering that the next time you feel the need to patronise people who get pissed off about conceding 4 sloppy goals in a game.

No possible answer to this abstract emotional oratory nonsense, however I believe that the club knows what it is doing and that it will be a bumpy road to a greater future. As I read your post, panic and anger towards the club and Tony Bloom (for not investing in your Hollywoodesque soul corrupting striker) is the correct and "thougthful" perspective? Its silly. The club is trying to do something special and needs support but some people refuse to see anything except for the latest result. The "need more fancy players" shit, what right do people have to demand these things?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Fed up of hearing Potter roll out the party line that he's happy with the 'group' he has that he can 'work with' ...............we're way off the pace.

What pace are we well off?

Clearly, we are off the pace for finishing top 6 as we have lost to teams who are expecting such.

Newcastle are probably expecting to finish midtable and we have comprehensively beaten them. It could be said that we are on target to finish midtable based on this. Personally, I think we need a bit more information to see where we are at.

Palace and West Brom will surely give us a better idea of where we are at.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No possible answer to this abstract emotional oratory nonsense, however I believe that the club knows what it is doing and that it will be a bumpy road to a greater future. As I read your post, panic and anger towards the club and Tony Bloom (for not investing in your Hollywoodesque soul corrupting striker) is the correct and "thougthful" perspective? Its silly. The club is trying to do something special and needs support but some people refuse to see anything except for the latest result. The "need more fancy players" shit, what right do people have to demand these things?

Personally, I appreciate a more sober view of things. I think that as fans we are passionate and emotional about the club and I think that this causes us to react with that passion and emotion over logic. NSC is testament to this today, If Bloom and Potter were to follow our collective lead today we would be right royally ****ed.

FWIW I don't think it holds that your opinions are based on a lack of connection to the club. I and many many others share your view while loving the club with all we have. The difference to me is that some people are thinking with their emotions and some are being more pragmatic. Only time will tell who is correct but for me it is way too early for throwing toys out of the pram. We've got plenty of work to do in certain areas, this is obvious but I am feeling confident and excited about the season ahead. This may change after the next could of games. You are right, we are working towards something special here, just need to hold our nerve.

To reiterate, I appreciate your input on the board and value a more steady and pragmatic viewpoint.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The new centreback arrangement hasn't gelled yet.

Webster and Dunk have gone backwards from last season and White is new.

Plenty of mork to be done by Potter and the coaches.

Mork.jpg

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we are just not defending set pieces very well at all ......Mina's goal in stoppage time of the first half was woeful , in fact all their goals were pretty much gifted to them , terrible conditions for all the players , i think everton just showed their class and we showed our naivety again.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
The simple fact is Bielsa, Hogson, probably Dyche, definitely Hasenhüttl will have learnt in our first four games how to beat us, and that is worrying.

Whilst of course Potter will not have been studying those teams and working out how to beat them. Or is it only us who have weaknesses?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

We don't want a "Hollywoodesque soul corrupting striker", we want a bit of physical presence in the position to help compliment what we have.

It's almost like we saw the benefits of it with Glenn Murray for years and think it's a thing of need now he's gone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am going to hold off dismissing the team as relegation fodder for a few games yet. The one team we have played who are likely to be around us after 10 or so games we beat comfortably. Whilst all three defeats have been disappointing it is mostly poor defending that is responsible and all three teams have spent a fortune on players, mostly decent ones too. Dunk is a shadow of himself and is not doing a very good job of leading either. I hope this is just a blip and we see the real Dunk again in two weeks.

Though I hate to say it I was really impressed with how quickly Leeds broke against City and it made me realise that we are generally really ponderous in our build up. We need to vary things more and be quicker in attack as well as tightening up at the back.

I still believe that we could have a good season, it seems many of you have given up already.

The window hasn’t closed yet either...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Have we been that bad today ???

Been working, unable to hear or watch game :(

No we haven’t. It has just caused everyone to go into some mad sort of meltdown.

Thank god we are not in the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I would like an additional striker too, however that’s nothing to do with the goals we conceded today.

So our solution isn’t just to bring in a striker, there’s clearly defensive improvements we can make tactically.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’ve been saying that we need a new keeper for over a year now so this is not knee jerk. He has no presence at all and just doesn’t make saves, has he made a save of note this season yet?

I have been pilloried for suggesting as much last season. He’s a very popular player on NSC for sure (I like his character too). It’s harsh. But this is elite level football.

I don’t care how good he is with his feet. It seems to me, going back over past couple of seasons he doesn’t save enough. Any decent effort on target tends to be a goal for the opposition. We can’t accept that at this level.

I do believe the club are looking for a keeper though, there’s been a couple linked just in the past window.

Edit: On a positive note, the last time I commented on Matty he did actually make a worldie save. Still too few and far between however.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's always easy spending other people's money blah blah. Tho that person should know what is the munimum chips required to stay at the top table

Equally that person is very aware of what happened last time we were in the top flight and spunked loads of money on wages etc

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
We finished last season all saying we needed more pace and cutting edge up front. Everyone can see that - us, pundits, and likely the club. Since then we’ve signed a right back and an aging midfielder, and a U23 striker who looks likely to pressed straight in to the first team squad. We simply haven’t addressed the obvious area we needed to address. And it will come back and bite us.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Very happy with everything, just hope the confidence doesn't start to desert us with not winning. Remember this is the promised land no one expected miracles did they :rolleyes:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We've had a tough starting schedule
The season's success will be decided against teams like Newcastle. We've only had one example to draw on so far so far too small a sample.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’m talking about the small sample of this season, versus those 3 seasons, on a per game basis.

Not set pieces, but specifically headers.

Perhaps it’s impossible to find out about headers conceded, I had a brief look.

Even GP has mentioned the errors in his latest post match interviews.

But we’ve only conceded 2 headers out of the 10 we’ve conceded so far this season which isn’t that many.

You would have to go through every goal conceded individually to work out how many were headers over the past 3 and a bit seasons and not even I’m sad enough to do that!

The fact is though that in 2017/2018 we conceded more set piece goals in a season than any other premier league side in the last 10 years, with the exception of Fulham in 2013/2014, with Duffy, Stephens and Murray playing nearly every single game. So to say their loss is the reason we’ve struggled from set pieces as some have is wrong.

And to be honest, this season we’ve only played 4 games and 3 of those were against top sides with elite level players including Fernandes and James so it’s too soon to make any comparisons with this season anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports