Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will T-Bloom now make changes to the Amex for next season?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Regardless of what league we're in, after sitting through the electric atmosphere at Boro, will TB finally make some much needed changes to boost the Amex noise?

A few things jump out to me....

1. Move away fans to a corner or west/east upper wings.

2. Sell South stand to home fans to have home support when shooting at both ends
3. Allow a "proper" singing area in either the North or South.... perhaps easier in the South if moving the away fans as then no-one will have to get moved from their seat in the North if they don't want to. The south could be like that Red Faction thing at Boro..... doesn't matter what anyone says if its cool or cringy, it bloody works.

3. The home end doesn't have near steep enough rake to it. You need elevation to project. Right now the sound from the North barely makes it to the WSU (I'm not taking the piss but against Derby when they were all singing as one was first time I'd heard them properly all season) so imagine it doesn't do much on the pitch.

Look at grounds like Rotherham where it's almost a 45 degree angle. They shame us with more noise and probably even smaller numbers than a full N Stand.

the PA does need to be turned down a couple of notches, if only hear yourself.

Number 5 is something that should happen.

And PLEASE, stop applauding them. F F S :sick:

I'd say the opposite actually. I have to crane my neck to look at the team as it's impossible to hear the opposition team. And there have been a number of queries on NSC this season from people not able to hear who the MoM was

I'd like it louder especially the last two or three minutes for the final videos before the team emerge.

Screw having it louder for Richie Reynolds though.

Let's be honest, we're a fairly middle class club, and the fanbase has grown so much in a short time that not all 26k are going to be die hard. With the best will in the world, our demographics isn't going to lend itself to comparing in vociferousness with an old fashioned working class club like Boro.

Absolutely true. We get rowdy and noisy when there's a sense of injustice but otherwise we don't care as much, or we're not as fervent in our support.

Imagine knowing that as a Boro fan things are pretty shit up there right now; high unemployment made worse by the closure of the steel works, very little prospect of things improving, chip on shoulder about Conservative Gov out to get you and what do you have left but your beloved football team? Of course you're going to sing your bloody heart out if it makes a difference.

I guarantee you IF come Monday we're cruising through to the final not only will the atmosphere be less hostile and more I told you so but the same people will be leaving on 81 minutes to get home for a crumpet in front of the fire.

We're not capable of making near anything a hostile atmosphere when we need to.

Can someone please confirm or not that the PA Saturday pre-match was pumping out crowd noise.

It seemed like it to me..I even commented to my mate that they should turn it down and let the real atmosphere build.

Definitely the case as there were obvious lulls in the singing where the background crowd white noise was still evident.

Ohhh [MENTION=15922]Working class pride[/MENTION] is going to kick your @rse. Or rather give you the same tiresome lecture about Lancing and Hastings he posts on every thread and show you a picture of the ham, egg and chips he had for his tea.

Demographically it's true. Northerners are stereotypically more working class, tougher, harder and therefore inherently louder. Have never been wowed by an atmosphere south of Leicester tbh.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Demographically it's true. Northerners are stereotypically more working class, tougher, harder and therefore inherently louder. Have never been wowed by an atmosphere south of Leicester tbh.

Blimey! You've never been wowed by the best home fans in the land at CPFC as stated by a well respected local journalist? :wozza:

Seriously though, in general for a whole ground that's probably true these days with the exception of some of the London clubs. Spurs give it a really good go. West Han do / did at times though I reckon that'll die in the Olympic Stadium. But then those two are based in traditional working class areas. No one goes on about the atmosphere at Watford, Reading or, tbf, us.

That whole class shtick of WCPs is a total stereotype though. Where I sit the bloke in front of me looks and sounds a right old school council estate type but all he ever does is swear at the ref or whichever of our players has made a bad pass. A bloke I go with is a trader with a house in central Brighton and he's so loud you can hear him up the other end of the concourse.

There are noisy pockets of traditional support. In the WSU there's the A21 boys at the front of G and us at the back (group of ex-Goldstone) and another group that seems loud on the south side. Then there's the two lots in the North that compete with each other. You won't find many rugby club member solicitors in any of them but the acoustics, internal rivalry (in the North), pockets of non singers in the middle (in the WSU) and the fact we've had four homes in the last twenty years mean it's not joined up and it never will be.

Brighton crowds have always been a bit split in to factions too. In the old days WCP goes on about it there were few middle class fans, especially at aways, but the groups from various bits of Sussex and Brighton didn't always get along.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I don't really think our choice of 'entrance music' will make an immense amount of difference one way or the other in that regards to be honest.

To be fair I felt more favourable to "SBTS" after hearing the Hammers giving their best Tuesday night to "Bubbles" which is rather more ancient than "Glad All over" or "Hey Jude"..

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Change the intro. Get rid of the dirge "Hey Jude".

Bigger TV screens in the stadium and concourses.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
3. The home end doesn't have near steep enough rake to it. You need elevation to project. Right now the sound from the North barely makes it to the WSU (I'm not taking the piss but against Derby when they were all singing as one was first time I'd heard them properly all season) so imagine it doesn't do much on the pitch.

Look at grounds like Rotherham where it's almost a 45 degree angle. They shame us with more noise and probably even smaller numbers than a full N Stand.

I'd like it louder especially the last two or three minutes for the final videos before the team emerge.

Absolutely true. We get rowdy and noisy when there's a sense of injustice but otherwise we don't care as much, or we're not as fervent in our support.

Imagine knowing that as a Boro fan things are pretty shit up there right now; high unemployment made worse by the closure of the steel works, very little prospect of things improving, chip on shoulder about Conservative Gov out to get you and what do you have left but your beloved football team? Of course you're going to sing your bloody heart out if it makes a difference.

I guarantee you IF come Monday we're cruising through to the final not only will the atmosphere be less hostile and more I told you so but the same people will be leaving on 81 minutes to get home for a crumpet in front of the fire.

Definitely the case as there were obvious lulls in the singing where the background crowd white noise was still evident.

the Goldsotne had it's days mate ...i am now putting you at about 30 no older...no disrespect like...:thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
To be fair I felt more favourable to "SBTS" after hearing the Hammers giving their best Tuesday night to "Bubbles" which is rather more ancient than "Glad All over" or "Hey Jude"..

The Dave Clarke 5 and The Beatles both pre date Michael Jackson.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Back in the day, terraces were never that steep really, certainly not 45 deg in most cases - didn't seem to hamper sound projection then.

Out of all you've said, the main difficulty we have, is quite simple - we don't have enough people who want to sing all game. Even if you undertook some draconian process of ejecting all non singers out of the North, I'm not sure you'd fill every seat with people who are prepared to vocally give it their all for the entire game. Even at Charlton, 3k crammed in for a promotion show down and I don't think anymore than 50-75% of the stand was actually singing.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I've seen plenty of the faces around me in WL attending away days making some noise, and I don't really blame them for sitting down in silence at home as we are surrounded by swathes of fans non-receptive to it (but are all strangley more than happy to join in when the whole stadium gets going).

I disagree with alot that has been said here, I think we have significant pockets of raucus support, they are just scattered around in a 30k seater and none of us are willing to make a concerted effort to consolidate. We are also comparing our home noise on games like a rearranged match vs Reading on a weekday evening to an automatic promotion deciding 170m game on a Saturday at a club that had spent 35m on players and garnered thousands more than normal because of it (i've had the misfortune of experiencing the riverside in previous seasons).

I do agree with the chap who criticised the design of the NS though, elevation is key, but I doubt there was much wiggle-room in the design of these modern stadia.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
He should make everyone in Sussex much poorer and have less interests. That way football will be the only thing they care about and so more noise will be made.

Perhaps restricting people's food intake so that they only get to eat dependent on the noise levels.

Oh - and I kind of miss having a long jump pit.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Back in the day, terraces were never that steep really, certainly not 45 deg in most cases - didn't seem to hamper sound projection then.

Out of all you've said, the main difficulty we have, is quite simple - we don't have enough people who want to sing all game. Even if you undertook some draconian process of ejecting all non singers out of the North, I'm not sure you'd fill every seat with people who are prepared to vocally give it their all for the entire game. Even at Charlton, 3k crammed in for a promotion show down and I don't think anymore than 50-75% of the stand was actually singing.

No stands are anywhere near 45 degress, certainly not in england. Even the top tier of the Mestalla isn't quite 45 degrees.

mestalla11.JPG

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No stands are anywhere near 45 degress, certainly not in england. Even the top tier of the Mestalla isn't quite 45 degrees.

mestalla11.JPG

Ha ha couple of years ago I pretty much sat in that same seat. Just remember the piles of pistachio shells everywhere! Yes steep, but not 45 degrees. A domestic staircase is supposed to be limited to 42 degs.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

mestalla11.JPG

Ha ha couple of years ago I pretty much sat in that same seat. Just remember the piles of pistachio shells everywhere! Yes steep, but not 45 degrees. A domestic staircase is supposed to be limited to 42 degs.

*Pedant klaxon*

Ok, can we at least sodding agree that steeper raking stands/tiers allow for better sound projection?!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

mestalla11.JPG

Dunno what the top tier in the Holmesdale stand at Selhurst is, is but it must be pretty close to 45 degrees, I found it rather vertiginous the last time I used it tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here