Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Self destroys Jamie Oliver

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
the difference being that Self is making a valid point, albeit not very well.

I must have missed that then. What's the valid point? That the working classes ought to know their place? That Self doesn't care for Oliver or his type? That Self wants us to know how much cleverer he is than Oliver?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Critically acclaimed by other idiots like Self. I also find his newspaper articles pretty boring, but as you say its all about opinions. Everytime I see him on TV I end up turning it off as he sneers his way to putting everyone else down. I would like him to take a critical look at himself.

Oliver is making a difference with what he is doing (including the 5 chain employing troubled youngsters and the school lunch campaign), Self is just doing a job that makes NO difference to anyone except to himself as he builds up his importance by being a moaning, critical idiot!

Anyway I had an essay at school that was critically acclaimed at school. They all claimed it was rubbish but hey I know that not what you meant but who cares!

That's the last time I buy you a pre match pint! *. :p

*it's not but I'll strike Messrs Oliver and Self off the pre match conversation list :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I must have missed that then. What's the valid point? That the working classes ought to know their place? That Self doesn't care for Oliver or his type? That Self wants us to know how much cleverer he is than Oliver?

That we've become a nation obsessed with food and celebrity is how I read it. I seem to in a minority of two.

Can't agree with any of that. What Russell Brand was saying transcends arguing about spending a few million on sure-start centres, minimum wage etc. All of that is small fry and a smokescreen, we all waste our time arguing about what pocket change is being spent on while corporations take over the world.

Robert Webb has just proved that he can't think beyond the politics bubble that we're locked into at the moment, and he's spectacularly missed the point that Brand was making.

Precisely. Regardless of our PR PM who seems to think he ought to be a celebrity, more than someone who should actually be doing something about how the Country is run. Unless we curtail the Mulitnationals and the carte blanche ability to abuse the enviroment, there's not going to be much left with exception to our clutter. Politicians that deem it fit to operate a revolving door policy to Corporations does nothing for democracy, quite the reverse.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Actually, in fairness to Jamie, he has now become my second least favourite TV chef. Because there is some c*** on Saturday Kitchen cooking TULIPS.

*throws box full of back issues of the New Statesman at the telly*

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Other than 9 critically acclaimed novels, short listed Man Booker Prize, award winning short stories, journalist for the Guardian, Observer, The New York Times, London Review of Books, The Evening Standard, The Times, The New Statesmen.

Not bad for having done 'f*** all to deserve it'....
Critically acclaimed being the operative word , the average person wouldn't ever have heard of any of his books , same for his shoplifting for the Booker prize and London review of books , Joe public really doesn't show a lot of Iinterest so we're left with the new York times and evening standard and if you don't live or work in those places the chances are you won't read the papers , so we''re reduced to left leaning publications and the odd appearance on question time to account for his ' fame ' .

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Critically acclaimed being the operative word , the average person wouldn't ever have heard of any of his books

That's just silly though. Most people have heard of Dan Brown and Fifty Shades of Grey, does that mean that they are a greater contribution to the arts, that the authors have somehow achieved something more worthy of acclaim, than Self (or, indeed, any other author who writes serious fiction which is bound to sell very low).

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Critically acclaimed being the operative word , the average person wouldn't ever have heard of any of his books , same for his shoplifting for the Booker prize and London review of books , Joe public really doesn't show a lot of Iinterest so we're left with the new York times and evening standard and if you don't live or work in those places the chances are you won't read the papers , so we''re reduced to left leaning publications and the odd appearance on question time to account for his ' fame ' .

well, those and shooting stars

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If i went for a pint with Jamie Oliver i am sure i would have a good laugh,
if i went for a pint with Will Self i would either want to knock him out or knock myself out.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Will Self's "review" of Jamie Oliver's restaurant was at best bizarre, at worst spiteful bullying. Almost did a sick when he talked about "the boys' and their drinking straws. You cannot say you will walk a mile to avoid Jaime Oliver or his product and then walk into his restaurant with a view to shredding it and retain any integrity.

God, how tedious it must be for his wife and kids getting dragged around by their sepulchural father with his downturned head and swooping neck, intent on hating anything pedestrian or commonplace. His bowling ball eyes peering disapprovingly through the windows of high street restaurants like a vengeful brother peering into his sisters doll house, deciding which head to pull off first.

Watching Self eating a burger and chips, determined to loathe every working class mouthful is what I imagine it would have been like to watch Hitler eating a Calippo.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

They do say ignorance is bliss.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
That's the last time I buy you a pre match pint! *. :p

*it's not but I'll strike Messrs Oliver and Self off the pre match conversation list :)

I do believe it is my round next time! However if you do mention Will Self then said pint will be confiscated (I refuse to waste a great pint of Palmers by tipping it over your head!). Anyway I notice that the Swan have trumped Jamie Oliver by serving pretty much any meal I order in under 15 minutes!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I was just going to post on this to say that Will Self does make an extremely valid point when he says:
"What this society needs is a culture that values its eternal soul above its lemon sole and a form of social justice that doesn’t depend on the tit-beating self-righteousness of charity – with all the patronising bullshit that goes along with this."

I've just put in bold what I think needs emphasising...... not trying to patronise anyone.

Ironically, I can't help thinking that Jamie Oliver would probably agree with that.

Am I alone in quite liking both Jamie Oliver and Will Self.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was just going to post on this to say that Will Self does make an extremely valid point when he says:
"What this society needs is a culture that values its eternal soul above its lemon sole and a form of social justice that doesn’t depend on the tit-beating self-righteousness of charity – with all the patronising bullshit that goes along with this."

I've just put in bold what I think needs emphasising...... not trying to patronise anyone.

Ironically, I can't help thinking that Jamie Oliver would probably agree with that.

Am I alone in quite liking both Jamie Oliver and Will Self.

Will Self thinks that what we need a society where no group is dependant on charity. Jesus wept, is this the great insight? Is he claiming this as his own idea? I'm sure Jamie would agree with that, it's such a truism that I'm struggling to think of any fair-minded individual who hasn't thought of this many times before.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Will Self thinks that what we need a society where no group is dependant on charity. Jesus wept, is this the great insight? Is he claiming this as his own idea? I'm sure Jamie would agree with that, it's such a truism that I'm struggling to think of any fair-minded individual who hasn't thought of this many times before.

I doubt very much whether he is claiming it as his own idea or in any way original.

Personally I found the article fairly entertaining, if probably somewhat harsh on Mr Oliver. But never having been to a Jamie Oliver restaurant, I am not in a position to judge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here