Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Self destroys Jamie Oliver

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Spiteful article that says very little, just an excuse to have a pop at somebody who has done more with his life than Self. Maybe a bit of green eye too.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That has done absolutely nothing to enhance the low opinion I already hold on Will Self.

Indeed. I've just read all that, unfortunately, and what a load of pointless drivel. But it's got some long words in it, so some people will think it's "intelligent".

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some bint's just been on the Beeb to lecture us all about eating more healthily at CHRISTMAS in case we die. I shit you not. It's exactly that sort of nannying, joyless guff that is the natural successor to Oliver's campaigning.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some bint's just been on the Beeb to lecture us all about eating more healthily at CHRISTMAS in case we die. I shit you not. It's exactly that sort of nannying, joyless guff that is the natural successor to Oliver's campaigning.

Trying to deflect attention from Will Self's spewing of shit? Good tactic.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Found this quite funny, lets face Will Self has a go at anybody in the limelight.

Thank you.

Trying to deflect attention from Will Self's spewing of shit? Good tactic.

Not at all. I like Will Self's writing and find Oliver patronising and annoying. I didn't expect NSC to agree with me! Don't you like Friday binfests? :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Previously, I sort of liked Self and rolled my eyes at Oliver.

But that piece is devoid of content, and is one huge whine at the middle-classes on the back of his own failed middle-class pretensions.

A nothing article going nowhere, saying little. I would have expected better than that meaningless, aimless whinge; it missed the target by a distance.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

disagree, lecturing about healthy eating didnt start with Oliver, and he hasnt preached about better eating, he's shown us how to do so and considered cost too. somthing alot of celeb chefs seem to ignore, irocnic when you consider its fundemental to running a restaurants.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"Needless to say, Oliver sticks in my craw and I’d walk a ***** mile to avoid him and all his works." (Unless it's on expenses from the New Statesman, then I'll go along and eat his food and then slag it off because I've got an axe to grind".

I don't mind Will Self in those Grumpy Old Man programs, but his writing, like so many others, is so OTT and overly complicated. I agree with those who say the article doesn't really say anything - call me a sadist, but I've just gone in for a second read, and I don't get the point of it.

It seems to be an excuse to have a pop at Jamie Oliver at every opportunity, mixed with a restaurant review, which is an odd concept in itself. One or the other and he might have got away with it, but both? I'm not sure it works. Especially with lines such as: "The fries, naturally, came in those dumb little zinc buckets." Why 'naturally'? How can zinc buckets be dumb? They have no brain. I'm guessing if he went to his favourite restaurant in the world, and they served up chips in 'dumb little zinc buckets' he would be all over it.

Sorry I really don't get it. He's talking about a businessman who has grown his business through various different methods. Er, what else is he meant to do? Oh, and he's tried to do some good along the way. No, Jamie might not be everyone's cup of tea (especially not the person who left a comment "I emigrated just to get away from Jme.") but good luck to him. And good luck to Will Self with what he does, who are we to judge the fact that he comes across as a bitter know-it-all, and has the arrogance of not bothering to show up at awards ceremonies when he wins the top prize?

But maybe it is just about publicity for the New Statesman - a publication I've never read before (so apologies if I'm missing the point) but I've seen this and the Robert Webb feature in the past two days. Neither of which seem to say more than "This person has chosen to do things this way, and I don't agree with them, and I'm right".

Not for me, I'm afraid. But each to the their own, eh Will?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I just caught some of that on the TV in our "social area", she was suggesting we have PORRIDGE for breakfast at Christmas. Yes that's exactly what I'll do, maybe I'll have a caesar salad for lunch too.

As for Will Self, his stupid whiny voice just emphasises the ego-enhancing shit that comes out of it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But maybe it is just about publicity for the New Statesman - a publication I've never read before (so apologies if I'm missing the point) but I've seen this and the Robert Webb feature in the past two days. Neither of which seem to say more than "This person has chosen to do things this way, and I don't agree with them, and I'm right".

Are you talking about the New Statesman or every thread on NSC ever? :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I like Will Self. I like his challenging writing, and his full use of available vocabulary. At 39, I like nothing better than to stumble on a complex word I've never read before, not sure why this would upset people.

I've also enjoyed his books. Great Apes is a brilliant satirical novel, as are many of his other books.

Does Jamie Oliver really not get on anyone else's wick?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The irony that is Will Self. He cannot be that intelligent or he wouldn't be that much of a self indulgent bellend.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I like Will Self. I like his challenging writing, and his full use of available vocabulary. At 39, I like nothing better than to stumble on a complex word I've never read before, not sure why this would upset people.

I've also enjoyed his books. Great Apes is a brilliant satirical novel, as are many of his other books.

Does Jamie Oliver really not get on anyone else's wick?

He evidently gets on Self's wick, but Will Self's self-esteem appears to forever be bouncing along the bottom - he had a tantrum over Nick Hornby's success of 'Fever Pitch' and 'High Fidelity' - so will whine at anything and everything. Whatever anyone thinks of either protagonist, that article was a tantrum, with little substance. He has an outstanding vocabulary, but - if you take that article on its own - a limited sense of reasoning.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Yes but does he really need to use a complex word in every sentence? Surely if you want to get a point across it's a lot more effective to use words that most people understand, except on the VERY RARE occasions when there aren't any mainstream words to get exactly what you mean.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Quite the most interesting restaurant review I've ever read because it isn't one really. Will Self analyses class, politics and modern Britain and, in doing so, puts the fat tongued Mockney in his place.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2013/10...-pious-harmony-new-outpost-jamie-olivers-army
In absolutely no part of that article whatsoever did he 'destroy' jamie oliver , all i could see was a whiny, self absorbed diatribe that betrays the bitterness of a man who realises that he's been found out as a bit of a fraud, as revealed on question time recently, at least jamie oliver tries to put something back , rather than sniping away nastily all the while doing nothing worthwhile himself.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
In absolutely no part of that article whatsoever did he 'destroy' jamie oliver , all i could see was a whiny, self absorbed diatribe that betrays the bitterness of a man who realises that he's been found out as a bit of a fraud, as revealed on question time recently, at least jamie oliver tries to put something back , rather than sniping away nastily all the while doing nothing worthwhile himself.

Thanks Bushy... that has saved me the effort of reading it and confirming what I thought about these two already.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I find Will Self quite amusing. I can see his point; Oliver does come across as one of those patronising middle-class types. That said I do like his style of cooking and he does make some sensible points. The tv series and book he released about American food was great and the Tubthumper household has made many of his dishes - the navajo breakfeast is my favourite.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

I did a later post that admitted 'destroy' wasn't 100% accurate but used to 'sex up' a thread title that otherwise would have said 'Will Self posts restaurant review criticising TV Chef'. I'm not sure it would have got as many views.

Why do I think it's important to read? Because it doesn't just attack Oliver. It attacks an ubiquitous foodie culture that paints you as a bad parent if you don't give your kids organic everything. Taking the piss out of the little zinc buckets is a bonus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here