Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Self: Croydon is "strange, poetic and beautiful"

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This thread is full of philistines who think 'journalism' is some bloke talking about transfers with a purple dildo in his ear.....

Blimey, never knew Will Self actually posted on here ..... welcome ...

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
The writer, who grew up in Finchley, is urging people to explore the far-flung reaches of the city ahead of a new festival celebrating life on its outskirts.

“The suburbs are inherently sexual, they heave and pullulate with sexiness,” he said. “I grew up in the London suburbs and of course I found them ineffably dull when I was a child but now I understand their excitement and their promise. This last summer solstice I walked to the high point on the North Downs overnight, an astonishing walk through the outer London suburbs of Shirley and Croydon, really strange, beautiful and poetic places at night. There is such a lot there and I think people are unaware of it.”

What a crock of shit...

Strange.... Yes

Beautiful.... Nah

Poetic..... Feckin grow up and stop being condescending.

Does this look poetic & Beautiful ??

Right!......... So you don't like Will..........O.K!...........But what about the walk and view he refers to? ....Do you know it well? ...... I mean - you are qualified to have an objective opinion - aren't you? - Surely your not just guessing?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
He's back on the smack then. Shame, I hope he kicks it for good next time.

I thought his drug of choice was Columbian Marching Powder? ???

You would clearly have to be on something fairly mind-altering to describe Croydon as anything but a pile of excrement.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm clearly a drug amateur, I know you could inject heroin, but never heard of snorting it.

Years of driving through South London has not revealed any particularly lovely vistas, I suppose Kenley is quite nice but its a fair bit away from Croydon?

I'm currently staying with my brother in the coombe area of Central/south croydon (1 mile from east croydon) its very quiet and leafy, close to woodlands and green spaces and within easy reach of the north downs.

Croydon is far from a paradise but to suggest it's entirely a shit hole is untrue, there are very nice residential areas within 10 minutes of east croydon.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm clearly a drug amateur, I know you could inject heroin, but never heard of snorting it.

Years of driving through South London has not revealed any particularly lovely vistas, I suppose Kenley is quite nice but its a fair bit away from Croydon?
shirley and other places, note that i said the borough , which is quite big.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This thread is full of philistines who think 'journalism' is some bloke talking about transfers with a purple dildo in his ear.....

Isn't it? That was a sad day, the day they banned the great British public from standing the Sky reporter on Deadline Day.

SDG

May 26, 2014
I avoid the place and I live 5 miles away.

Doesn't stop me getting to Selhurst, and that area is as big a dive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here