Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will Maupay still have a future with Potter after this?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's about par for the course with the other non 'big 6' players.

View attachment 136565

There are four West Ham players with 9 each. That's why they are where they are and we're not.
Maupay is doing his share, and the rest of the team aren't. Danny Welbeck might, if he can keep injury free, but Trossard etc need to step up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Shame Maupay couldn’t demonstrate the same levels of respect that he spoke about only a few weeks ago in relation to social media.

I’m paraphrasing here, but “footballers are only human, we make mistakes and are always trying”.

Doesn’t yesterday’s referee also fall into that category?

Yes, social media abuse is unacceptable but why wasn’t Jon Moss shown the same level of understanding and respect from Maupay, that he himself demanded during his post match interview only a few short weeks ago?

Why is Mr Maupay okay to hurl dogs abuse at Jon Moss on a Sunday afternoon, but unable to deal with supporters critiquing his own performance? To pre-empt any counter argument on that line which so often gets crossed on social media, I’d say Maupay himself crossed it yesterday.

Yes, it might have been in person and not over social media but what’s the difference?

Smacks of hypocrisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you aware that there is a person in court for issuing a death threat to Maupay and his family? Ok, it is in Singapore, but it's hardly comparable with telling a ref to f off.

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...n-court-for-Maupay-threat&highlight=singapore

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I understand the sentiment I think you're expressing here, but I don't think the comments Maupay refers to, social media/abuse as part of an "official" launch of an initiative right after the Sheff Utd match, can really be classified as "supporters critiquing his own performance". . I don't defend Maupay's reaction on Saturday particularly, but the circumstances are different.

You make a valid point and perhaps it’s just me but I think the lines have become somewhat blurred as far as social media commentary is concerned.

As someone of reasonable education I like to think I’ve previously been clear on where that line is. But it’s a hot topic now (rightly so) which has actually led to me abandoning a number of Twitter posts lately in relation to Maupay.

Nothing personal, nothing malicious and nothing incendiary. Just my appraisal of his performances and goal return this season.

There is a fine line between tackling online hate crime and eradicating free speech.

Let’s hope the authorities and club representatives can strike the right balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yep, let's ignore the fact that Murray's seasons in the PL with us he was often playing isolated in a Hughton team that wasn't producing anywhere near as many chances as we have this season. Meanwhile Maupay's been playing in a Potter team that generates plenty of chances, and Maupay's been missing them. And yes, all of our attacking players have been letting us down. But at the end of the day, it is very reasonable to assume that the Murray we had in 17-18 (14 in 38 apps across all comps) and 18-19 (15 in 42) [Total 29 across 2 seasons] would have put a lot more in the net than Maupay has this season. I'll go out on a limb and suggest the Murray of 17-18 and 18-19 would have been pushing 20 this season.

Yes, Maupay looked good last season - 10 goals in a debut season was a decent return, especially as the team was still adapting from Hughton style to Potter style. But this season? He should have been pushing 15 at least by now, but instead is stuck on 8. And in many of those matches where he's missed golden opportunities, those misses have come back to haunt us.

I don't think anybody would argue against Murray being a far better finisher and, indeed, far better forward (with the benefit of a lot more experience). But his record for assisting team-mates was almost non-existent and he'd be isolated because he was an out and out centre forward, there to hold the ball up and score goals. It'd be interesting to see how far Maupay ran at Molineux because his work outside the box was non-stop and, as a foil for a better striker in Welbeck, he's not bad by any means. Forwards shouldn't be judged purely on goals alone if they're helping the team create chances.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I have total sympathy for Neal , the real culprits were Jon Moss and VAR , had both done their job today we might not have had either red and would be celebrating a win .

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Maupay “will face questions over his future”

[tweet]1391747601603743744[/tweet]

I would like us to challenge NM`s red , if the reason for his outburst was Burns penalty decision and Coady`s assault on himself going unpunished . The panel would have to look at the two incidents and couldn`t fail to see the massive incompetency of Moss , otherwise it will be ignored yet again .

Personally i think NM swore at Moss because he grabbed Neal with his right hand and said cough , Neal said no you FO !

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I think Maupay needs a serious self-introspection review. His bumbling play up front directly led to the attack that got Dunk sent off and his general play all match was lightweight and poor. Time to bulk up and grow up a bit IMHO and come back a more potent striker.
Not easy I know but necessary.

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here