Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Lewis Dunk ever play for England again?

Will Lewis Dunk play for England again?

• Never while Southgate is in charge

Votes: 231 47.6%
  • Yes, Southgate will pick him eventually

Votes: 50 10.3%
  • Only if Southgate leaves/gets sacked

Votes: 169 34.8%
  • No, he's not good enough

Votes: 35 7.2%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t think he’s as good as Dunk but don’t begrudge Coady a call up at all, I think he deserves it.

It’s still just absolutely ridiculous that Keane and Mings get called up ahead of Dunk though.

Coady deserves his place. Dunk and Tarkowski are outstanding and deserving of further call ups.

I said that the moment Mings took on the Eastern Europe racists in that England game, it sealed his future England career, 50 caps minimum. Not a case of positive discrimination, but GS loved that strength of character.

Ridiculous really, he has lapses of concentration in every EPL game, I watched ex-defender pundits repeatedly describe Mings as at fault for goals conceded, “going asleep”, “failing to pick up the run”.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
England are never going to win anything with or without Southgate, nor with or without Dunk. Watching/supporting England has for decades been a waste of mental energy I could do without.
I expect he’d like to be called up, he deserves to be called up, but, to be quite honest, I don’t really care.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The only way he will get picked again is if Southgate gets sacked following an all too predictable euros exit as soon as we play anyone decent.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
For whatever reason Southgate doesn't rate him.
I'd imagine there is no neutral football supporter who'd choose Keane over Dunk and only a few (who fall for hype) that would choose Mings over Dunk. Same for journalists. Same for pundits. And definitely the same for other managers.
It's weird, but it is what it is. I feel sorry for the lad and it kind of reiterates what an incredibly loyal decision it was to sign a new contract.

Most managers use statistics and pick players in form. Southgate chooses his favourites regardless of form, former England U23s, Villa and Palace past and present plus any big name who breaks the law, Covid or otherwise. Brighton players will be hard pressed to get one cap in a meaningless friendly.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
England are never going to win anything with or without Southgate, nor with or without Dunk. Watching/supporting England has for decades been a waste of mental energy I could do without.
I expect he’d like to be called up, he deserves to be called up, but, to be quite honest, I don’t really care.

This :clap2::cute::salute:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Coady deserves his place. Dunk and Tarkowski are outstanding and deserving of further call ups.

I said that the moment Mings took on the Eastern Europe racists in that England game, it sealed his future England career, 50 caps minimum. Not a case of positive discrimination, but GS loved that strength of character.

Ridiculous really, he has lapses of concentration in every EPL game, I watched ex-defender pundits repeatedly describe Mings as at fault for goals conceded, “going asleep”, “failing to pick up the run”.

Nailed about Mings

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Most managers use statistics and pick players in form. Southgate chooses his favourites regardless of form, former England U23s, Villa and Palace past and present plus any big name who breaks the law, Covid or otherwise. Brighton players will be hard pressed to get one cap in a meaningless friendly.

Southgate uses the club England model utilising u21/23s he’s known and keeping faith with players that’ve done right by him. These players need to be hugely out of form to be dropped. It will always be difficult for Brighton players to break into the squad unless we are ripping up the EPL and even then the player involved will need a profile e.g. Ben White

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
One cap wonder. He plays for an unfashionable side at the foot of the table.

If/when we go down, that will be finis.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Deserves to be in some more squads that’s pretty clear. Whether he’d play when picked is at least a sensible discussion.

Sadly he won’t get picked even for the squad while the palarse waistcoat keeps choosing based on ‘media opinion’. We need to have a good start to a season and be “flying high” even if only temporarily for him to notice anyone at Brighton.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Very much how I feel about it and the international game has long been overtaken by club football. Only failed club managers now manage the England team as nobody else wants the gig and the team continues to be populated by the household names from the big clubs. Even with crowds Wembley is now a sanitised library with only the drone of that hideous England supports band banging out nonsense for 90min.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Or there is an outbreak of Covid 19 in the England camp, ruling out Maguire, Keane, Mings and Gomez.

In which case the shout will go out for Ezri Konsa, Gary Cahill, Scott Dann and James Tompkins.

Totally this.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Barring a quite spectacular injury crisis, not a chance. Ben White and Tariq Lamptey are the only realistic England call-ups in the near future.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It looks like something must have happened when he was on England duty, or around that time, that made the powers that be think ‘never again’.
Maybe he got done for pace at the wrong time?

Not saying that’s justified btw

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
It looks like something must have happened when he was on England duty, or around that time, that made the powers that be think ‘never again’.
Maybe he got done for pace at the wrong time?

Not saying that’s justified btw

It’s not just England though, none of the Champions League clubs made a serious bid for him either (to my limited knowledge) - people can’t blame that on Southgate. Fantastic for us, but think we’re all a bit rose tinted glasses with him.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s not just England though, none of the Champions League clubs made a serious bid for him either (to my limited knowledge) - people can’t blame that on Southgate. Fantastic for us, but think we’re all a bit rose tinted glasses with him.

Yeah, This isn’t the place to pick apart Lewis’s shortcomings at the top level. And rightly so!

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Sadly, and gutwrenchingly, I think the ship has sailed for Dunk. Really feel for him, as he outperforms the majority of that fraud's CB selections on a weekly basis. I've never seen a PL defender in this day and age like Mings kick/slice the ball into touch, don't even get me going on Maguire AKA The Fridge...

I think the next likely set are White, Lamptey and Webster from our lot, and who knows if they're still gonna be here in the next 2 years...

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Yeah, This isn’t the place to pick apart Lewis’s shortcomings at the top level. And rightly so!

Agreed, there’s been some great players and CB’s not picked for England down the years. Our visiting manager tomorrow was one for a start. Marc Albrighton another player who has won a league title but not an England cap - it’s not actually that long a list, and Dunk has surpassed both of them in that regard.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I would add Adam Webster to those two.

I don't see it quite so much with Webster TBH, mostly because he's not a youngster. Only way Webster gets in is if he goes to one of the fashionable clubs IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here