Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Christmas ever get back to normal?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I agree with Nibble. Christmas is for about 3 days. I will even allow the start of December for adverts on tele. But NOT November. It can **** off.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't think it's being a scrooge. I love Christmas I just don't believe 8 weeks of build up to anything is healthy. I think I embrace the spirit of Christmas, I volunteer at a homeless shelter on Christmas Day, I spend time with friends and family and I love the atmosphere of it all, just don't like all this build up and selling and cannot see a time when it gets back to a few days of good will instead of this avalanche of twinkly lights, chocolate and spending hundreds on crap from Argos.
amen to this!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This threads reminds me. I haven't even begun to think about Easter eggs for next year yet.

Brighton_Rose

Up the Albion!
Aug 13, 2011
Withdean Brighton
I felt cross the other day in a supermarket they were playing Wonderful Christmastime. It made me feel they just want us to buy buy buy spend spend spend for Christmas already.
I love the build up at home; family time, carol services, lights, Christmas films and the cosiness.... and of course a bit of choc/nice food and the time off work!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It's a shame that all this stuff is around at the moment, but in general I find it pretty easy to ignore it all until I'm ready to get excited. That said, you can't help feeling that the excitement that should build up from about 10th December is somewhat dampened by the fact that lights/christmas imagery etc. have been up for ages.

On a side note, how utterly utterly shit is the 'christmas market' they have outside Churchill Square?! Where do all these traders actually come from? I think I'm going to decorate a garden shed with some holly next year and start selling complete crap out of it, apparently there's quite a market for it!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the calendar was a classroomful of kids then November would be the weedy boy that gets picked on. Hallowe'en and Christmas are whipping his sorry ass.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On a side note, how utterly utterly shit is the 'christmas market' they have outside Churchill Square?! Where do all these traders actually come from? I think I'm going to decorate a garden shed with some holly next year and start selling complete crap out of it, apparently there's quite a market for it!

Hey, come on now: that Christmas market is bringing traditional hand crafted Christmas treats and gifts to us all, like pretzels, roasted chestnuts, gluhwein, and plastic Samsung Galaxy phone cases with Chelsea logos on.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I think the Americans have got it about right by shoehorning Thanksgiving in between Halloween and Christmas. I'm off to a thanksgiving dinner this week with some yankee chums and it goes down a right treat. Postpones any talk of this Christmas nonsense until at least the last week of November. Which is just about acceptable.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't think it's being a scrooge. I love Christmas I just don't believe 8 weeks of build up to anything is healthy. I think I embrace the spirit of Christmas, I volunteer at a homeless shelter on Christmas Day, I spend time with friends and family and I love the atmosphere of it all, just don't like all this build up and selling and cannot see a time when it gets back to a few days of good will instead of this avalanche of twinkly lights, chocolate and spending hundreds on crap from Argos.
What about the rest of the year? Its not just at Christmas these folk need help.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
One of my favourite Christmas films is "Scrooge" with Alistair Sim playing the title role.
And no Christmas would be complete without " The Snowman". No matter how many times I see it, I still find it enchanting.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Xmas can be a nice time but not in this country. Scandinavia, Germany etc have far more traditional xmas's. I spent a couple of yuletides in Norway with friends a few years back and it was magical. Admittedly they were white xmas's so it was very atmospheric. No stress at all and there was far less money spent on pressies.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Xmas can be a nice time but not in this country. Scandinavia, Germany etc have far more traditional xmas's. I spent a couple of yuletides in Norway with friends a few years back and it was magical. Admittedly they were white xmas's so it was very atmospheric. No stress at all and there was far less money spent on pressies.

spot on. our north European neighbours do it much better than us. its dismal, Christmas in the UK, just an orgy of greed advertising and pissed up nause commuters.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

In Germany (not sure about the other countries) they do everything on Christmas EVE, what's the point in that? Christmas Eve is all about having a few drinks and looking forward to the big day.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In a large store last week and they had Christmas Carols playing on the music system, it is still only November what happened to the old idea that Christmas was for the 12 days of Christmas, Even the traditional Boxing Day games are now a no go for me as no trains and the risk of driving after drinking Christmas Day is too great.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Christmas is a retail festival in this country. Nothing more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here