Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Will be beat the Jocks?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If ignorance is bliss you must be in paradise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I wrong about club rugby being appallingly supported compared to either football or the 6 nations? It doesn’t even sell out in cup finals, does it?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If I wanted to go watch a professional rugby match would the nearest place for me to do so be Twickenham? Seems mad there are sod all teams in the SE.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They should make the rules simpler then, then more people might actually go to watch it, rather than there being literally thousands and thousands of empty seats at every single game apart from at the absolute elite level.

Isn’t there enough dumbing down already these days?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Am I wrong about club rugby being appallingly supported compared to either football or the 6 nations? It doesn’t even sell out in cup finals, does it?

Have you seen Harlequins crowds? They even let them use Twickenham for big games

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If I wanted to go watch a professional rugby match would the nearest place for me to do so be Twickenham? Seems mad there are sod all teams in the SE.

The Stoop, a stones throw from Twickenham. Confess to not being up on Club rugby

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
A mate of mine played and coached rugby to a fair good standard and yes, they are the ones who drink a lot, spend a lot of their time running around naked but are honest and can be relied upon....but they are drunk and naked, best ask them for help during a work day???

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’s not though is it, it’s played equally by both classes and is massively entrenched in the Welsh private school system; similar in the West Country.
It’s the national sport (alongside sheep worrying). The streets are deserted here on match days.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have you seen Harlequins crowds? They even let them use Twickenham for big games

not a great arguement for attendance, saying some big games Harlequins gets to use the big stadium, while normally they are the Stoop with 14k capacity.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Cup finals sell out. The double headers do pretty well as well. Great day out but carnage for your liver.

Rugby internationals have always been big news regardless of how many turn up for a local game. In years gone by local rugby clubs when go on masse to twickenham \ arms park etc. even though tickets were a nightmare to get a hold off.
In the 1970’s J.P.R Williams used to run a surgery at Cardiff general on the Saturday morning and then walk to the Arms Park for the game.
You can’t compare rugby to football in terms of support as they are very much different beasts.

As for the rules. They are pretty easy to understand, more difficult than football but not by much. At least in rugby they are applied properly, something that the modern day refs seem to have a great deal of difficulty doing. As Kevin ‘no’ friends showed at the weekend.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Rugby club attendance is decent and continues to rise. Admittedly, clubs hire out bigger stadiums for one off league games - I was at Twickenham for Quins Leicester with 76,000 others), but Bath , Sale, Newcastle and Saracens hold similar one-off games that attract in excess of 50,000.

Bristol gates are now 19,000 on average (all games at Ashton Gate), Leicester have averaged 20,000 for years, Wasps since their move to Coventry also frequently pull in crowds. Other teams like Gloucester, Bath, Worcester and Exeter get smaller crowds but they still often represent a sell out.

Premiership Rugby attendance is now very respectable - not far off Championship sized gates now, and we all know Championship gates are the 4th or 5th highest football gates in Europe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Even when we are on the top of our game we struggle ar Murrayfield. We have often lost Grand Slams or Triple Crowns there when we have been blinding in previous games. After two really shit unimaginative performances I think we need to step it up big time

Narrow England win for me

In the last 34 seasons, we’ve won 12 times at Murrayfield, them just 5. They only have 1 win over us since 2009.

Cardiff and Dublin in the last 20 years is so often our undoing,

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As for the rules. They are pretty easy to understand, more difficult than football but not by much. At least in rugby they are applied properly, something that the modern day refs seem to have a great deal of difficulty doing. As Kevin ‘no’ friends showed at the weekend.

I enjoy watching rugby, and have watched a fair amount over the years having never played the game. There are simple rules, line out throws must be straight etc but mostly they are really difficult to understand. I used to put it down to never having played the game but I think that the problem is two fold. A lot of the time spectators can't see a lot of what is going on. It's a small pitch with 15 big blokes on with the biggest ones tending to follow the ball. It's fine watching 6 nations on the box with experts and camera angles, but if you're there a lot of what goes on is guesswork. The second problem is related to the first is that a lot of effort goes into pushing the rules, both in terms of setting out to deceive the ref and opposition, and also just pushing the rules as far as they can. Oh, and third fold - they do seem to change quite often.

Watching sevens is easy. The full team version, not so.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I enjoy watching rugby, and have watched a fair amount over the years having never played the game. There are simple rules, line out throws must be straight etc but mostly they are really difficult to understand. I used to put it down to never having played the game but I think that the problem is two fold. A lot of the time spectators can't see a lot of what is going on. It's a small pitch with 15 big blokes on with the biggest ones tending to follow the ball. It's fine watching 6 nations on the box with experts and camera angles, but if you're there a lot of what goes on is guesswork. The second problem is related to the first is that a lot of effort goes into pushing the rules, both in terms of setting out to deceive the ref and opposition, and also just pushing the rules as far as they can. Oh, and third fold - they do seem to change quite often.

Watching sevens is easy. The full team version, not so.

I played rugby until my mid 20’s when a knee injury put an end to it. I ref’d a few 2nd and 3rd stream games at uni.
Basically, no handling in the ruck, no collapsing mauls, no tripping, no forward passes, no knocking on or going in from the side which are easy enough to understand. Knowing the difference between a ruck and a maul helps.
Difficult bit is always ‘going in over the top’ which is now much easier to understand, as the defending team has to stay on their feet.
One area that is confusing is penalties during scrummaging. Basically the team moving forward or have the put in seem to get the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, players try and stretch the rules BUT they under stand that the refs word is final hence the lack of gobbing off that you get with football.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I played rugby until my mid 20’s when a knee injury put an end to it. I ref’d a few 2nd and 3rd stream games at uni.
Basically, no handling in the ruck, no collapsing mauls, no tripping, no forward passes, no knocking on or going in from the side which are easy enough to understand. Knowing the difference between a ruck and a maul helps.
Difficult bit is always ‘going in over the top’ which is now much easier to understand, as the defending team has to stay on their feet.
One area that is confusing is penalties during scrummaging. Basically the team moving forward or have the put in seem to get the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, players try and stretch the rules BUT they under stand that the refs word is final hence the lack of gobbing off that you get with football.

I know all those - but trust me, for a non-player watching live, it is all a LOT more complicated and harder to spot than the beautiful game. And I enjoy watching the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here