Wilkins O'Meter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lokki , in a word NO. I do not " regret " anything I wrote as Wilkins last season was woeful a lot of the time. Any manager that runs a team that in less than a season has 3 runs of 5 losses twice and a 6 loss run needs to be asked searching questions. He is proving my doubts wrong this season and no one is more delighted than me. I have been very fair with the thread. However I do maintain McGhee is still a a better manager than Wilkins and would have done as well or better than Wilkins last season / this season.

Ah, so actually this has taught you nothing then. Fair enough, just wondering like.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Played 25
Won 11
Drawn 7
Lost 7
For 34
Against 25

Points predictor for season 66
Position predictor for season 10th
Forster league goals predictor 16

Wilkins O'Meter 7 ( down from 8.5 )

Oh dear, yesterday was a crushing let down. We played well enough in the 1st half but the only thing of note was when we hit the post, lots of huffing and puffing with no end result. Forest were fortunate to go in at 1-0 up. The second half however was a disaster. Lynch not for the first time ( or 5th time ) this season made an absolute howler which gifted Tyson the second, this was on top of the howler El Abd made in the first half, my we are starting to miss Elphick and even Butters.

After the ending off we got worse and worse, completely devoid of ideas and the game pettered out with Albion clueless, again absolutely no end product.

Statistics can look good and bad at the same time , 2 defeats in 17 is good but upon closer examination , many of those were draws and the wins against piss poor sides in cup competitions. We have only won 1 of the last 7 home games in the league and the home form is alarmingly slipping into the same fashion of the woeful last half of the season when we lost 1000 sth's.

Even on the back of a good run we only got around 5700 Albion fans last night, they are staying away even for one of two must see games. Wilkins needs to deliver results and goals at home which he has abjectly failed to do that so far in his tenure.

We are 1 defeat away from lower mid table. Last night put paid to any fanciful ideas of promotion as we are a country mile away from Forest who to be fair came down, didn't break sweat and strolled to a facile win with 10 men.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Played 25
Won 11
Drawn 7
Lost 7
For 34
Against 25

Points predictor for season 66
Position predictor for season 10th
Forster league goals predictor 16

Wilkins O'Meter 7 ( down from 8.5 )

Oh dear, yesterday was a crushing let down. We played well enough in the 1st half but the only thing of note was when we hit the post, lots of huffing and puffing with no end result. Forest were fortunate to go in at 1-0 up. The second half however was a disaster. Lynch not for the first time ( or 5th time ) this season made an absolute howler which gifted Tyson the second, this was on top of the howler El Abd made in the first half, my we are starting to miss Elphick and even Butters.

After the ending off we got worse and worse, completely devoid of ideas and the game pettered out with Albion clueless, again absolutely no end product.

Statistics can look good and bad at the same time , 2 defeats in 17 is good but upon closer examination , many of those were draws and the wins against piss poor sides in cup competitions. We have only won 1 of the last 7 home games in the league and the home form is alarmingly slipping into the same fashion of the woeful last half of the season when we lost 1000 sth's.

Even on the back of a good run we only got around 5700 Albion fans last night, they are staying away even for one of two must see games. Wilkins needs to deliver results and goals at home which he has abjectly failed to do that so far in his tenure.

We are 1 defeat away from lower mid table. Last night put paid to any fanciful ideas of promotion as we are a country mile away from Forest who to be fair came down, didn't break sweat and strolled to a facile win with 10 men.

I sometimes cannot believe the rubbish that people talk on here. I thought we played well in the first half last night and then struggled in the second half but you are ignoring all the factors. Calderwood has had millions to spend on that squad and Wilkins has had £75,000 to spend on Forster. They also did not have a game last weekend so were fresher.

I did not agree with appointing Dean Wilkins initially but he has done a good job and won me around. 1 defeat should not change that. Your Wilkins O'Meter is just an opportunity for you to ignore our wins and slam him whenever we lose. You are worst than some of the people on here were over Mark McGhee!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wilkin's home league record

Played 30
Won 8
Drawn 9
Lost 13

Keep your head in the sand old boy, and if you read the thread I have heaped loads of praise on Wilkins so don't be so precious, all this " youcannot ever say anything against Dean " is a crock of crap and not healty for the club.

The home form is not good enough and last night we were utter shite in the second half. Those are facts. The fact only 5700 Albions fans could be arsed to turn up shows we are not doing it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
also for a team around mid table near the half way point 7 out of 10 is pretty damn fair

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Wilkin's home league record

Played 30
Won 8
Drawn 9
Lost 13

Keep your head in the sand old boy, and if you read the thread I have heaped loads of praise on Wilkins so don't be so precious, all this " youcannot ever say anything against Dean " is a crock of crap and not healty for the club.

The home form is not good enough and last night we were utter shite in the second half. Those are facts. The fact only 5700 Albions fans could be arsed to turn up shows we are not doing it.

The fans are not relevant to Wilkins (a lot are fed up with Withdean rather than anything else). I am not saying don't criticise Wilkins but we do need to get behind him. I would be happy with 10th or 12th this season as I don't think the play offs are realistic.

I agree that the second half was poor last night but Forest defended well and they do have a lot more spending power than us. If Wilkins had millions to spend, I am sure we would have given them more of a game in the second half.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maybe my 8.5 was too generous, a correction to 7 is fair. I would agree mid table is our mark this season.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Pipe Down Alan

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he is doing OK for a team to finish midtable or just outside the play offs but does not have the know how to take us one step further and achieve promotion.

Perhaps we cant afford to strengthen the side or go up!!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think the home form is that much of a worry. Not every team is going to win all their games or take many points at home.

We have got some decent sides out of the way and I fully expect it to pick up. Yeovil, Leeds, Carlisle and Forest are decent outfits. The real disappointments were Walsall which we should have put to bed before the equalised and Brizzle Rovers. However, there are plenty of teams in the lower reaches that are still to visit Withdean.

We are playing a lot of football and it is great news that Revell and Reid are back towards full fitness. Elphick will be back before too long and that is a huge positive. We must ensure that Richards, O'Callaghan and Martot stay for the whole season.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think that he is doing OK for a team to finish midtable or just outside the play offs but does not have the know how to take us one step further and achieve promotion.

Perhaps we cant afford to strengthen the side or go up!!!!

How on earth can you make such a claim? He has just completed a his first full year in senior management, he has a shoestring budget to work to, he has a squad largely made up, not so long ago, of 20 year olds, and has had to work his nuts off during the summer in the hope of acquiring new players, yet you see fit to completely dismiss his abilities as a manager - plus you appear to have a crystal ball to confidently predict the club's stagnation in the league all the while he is manager.

Good one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My observation is based on the fact that we seem to be able to get to a certain level and expectation then fall flat. We have had an unbeaten run based on a few draws and when we have come to crunch games against the top teams have come off second best eg Leeds. Carlisle and Forest this would suggest that either (a) we are not good enough (b) The manager has been out thought tactically. Either way it makes us a mid table side.

As has been said many times I believe that it is in the back room staff that we are lacking more so than Wilkins, both White and Chapman have no experience of league management or coaching. If we briought in sdomebody with expetrience I am sure that Wilkins would prosper and proove his worth.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A point against Leeds would have been a decent result and we were unlucky not to do just that. We showed resilience to gain a point against Carlisle and we were never outplayed last night. On the plus side, we have stopped Orient and Carlisle gaining 3 points and they are more likely to be in the mix of the playoffs. Same with Swansea.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My observation is based on the fact that we seem to be able to get to a certain level and expectation then fall flat. We have had an unbeaten run based on a few draws and when we have come to crunch games against the top teams have come off second best eg Leeds. Carlisle and Forest this would suggest that either (a) we are not good enough (b) The manager has been out thought tactically. Either way it makes us a mid table side.

As has been said many times I believe that it is in the back room staff that we are lacking more so than Wilkins, both White and Chapman have no experience of league management or coaching. If we briought in sdomebody with expetrience I am sure that Wilkins would prosper and proove his worth.
Then your level of expectations are high to the point of being unrealistic.

You are forgetting - quite conveniently(?) - that this is STILL a team in transition, with many young players. Of course we're not good enough to go up. We never were. It's possible only you that think we are. Of course we should be aiming for it, but then to go up this season is - at the moment - a step too far. It's one thing getting a good enough squad together to go up, it's another thing entirely to get a squad together to keep us up.

This is a long-term re-building process for which success does not happen straight away, and we are not in a position to buy our way out of trouble and into glory.

Also, and we've heard this many times before, you have little evidence, or knowledge for that matter, short of circumstancial, about how the backroom staff operate, what their professional relationship is and what happens on a day-to-day basis, yet you still persist in guessing that Dean White and Ian Chapman are not worth their position.

D

Deleted member 2719

I don't think the home form is that much of a worry. Not every team is going to win all their games or take many points at home.

We have got some decent sides out of the way and I fully expect it to pick up. Yeovil, Leeds, Carlisle and Forest are decent outfits. The real disappointments were Walsall which we should have put to bed before the equalised and Brizzle Rovers. However, there are plenty of teams in the lower reaches that are still to visit Withdean.

We are playing a lot of football and it is great news that Revell and Reid are back towards full fitness. Elphick will be back before too long and that is a huge positive. We must ensure that Richards, O'Callaghan and Martot stay for the whole season.

That's exactly as i see it BOF, there is lot's to be positive about.

:albion2::albion2:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Also, and we've heard this many times before, you have little evidence, or knowledge for that matter, short of circumstancial, about how the backroom staff operate, what their professional relationship is and what happens on a day-to-day basis, yet you still persist in guessing that Dean White and Ian Chapman are not worth their position.

This is based on a purely personal observation having taken the same Coaching Examination that Jackie Charlton did and finishing above him. That doesnt make me a better coach or no more about the game but it does prove that I have some knowledge and am not talking out of complete ignorance.

I belive that there are many ways in which mistakes have been made and I feel sure that DW and IC have an input into those decisions and as such I believe that somebody with more knowledge could do better thus giving Dean Wilkins more help.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

We're skint, they aren't. Simple as that really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports