Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan v Reading best result

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
While it's nice to start to think about who we'll play, and where and when (QPR please - just for the transport impact of a week-day away game)), let's concentrate on winning this Friday. I know it's 'out of our hands' now but if we get 12 points from our four remaining games, there's a chance someone else will slip us and let us in.

Onwards and up-the M1-wards.

It's completely in our hands from where I'm sitting. We're on the same amount of points as Reading and we're playing (on paper) some of the weakest teams in the division. If both teams somehow got 12 points out of 12 I'd imagine it's highly likely that'd we have a better GD at the end of the four games. Obviously football isn't played on paper though and every game is crucial now.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Prefer a Wigan win. They are 3 points ahead/marginal better GD and a game in hand. Plus believe they will not combust. So to overtake over 4 games is still a bigish ask.

Reading lose heavy would be my favourite.

Draw not to bad.

Bottom line is we have to win at Hudds

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
It's completely in our hands from where I'm sitting. We're on the same amount of points as Reading and we're playing (on paper) some of the weakest teams in the division. If both teams somehow got 12 points out of 12 I'd imagine it's highly likely that'd we have a better GD at the end of the four games. Obviously football isn't played on paper though and every game is crucial now.

I agree up to a point - that point being the impact of goal difference so, in effect, we can't determine our own fate (who's to say Reading don't win all of their remaining games by the same margin that we might do?).

If we get ahead on points, with the same number of games left to play as everyone else, then it'll be in our hands... to my rather pedantic way of thinking.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Prefer a Wigan win. They are 3 points ahead/marginal better GD and a game in hand. Plus believe they will not combust. So to overtake over 4 games is still a bigish ask.

Reading lose heavy would be my favourite.

Draw not to bad.

Bottom line is we have to win at Hudds

This... except the bit about the draw. Wigan to humiliate Reading please!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the best result would be for reading to win by 1 goal and us to win by three goals, making the table look like this

Brighton +15 67
Reading +14 67
Wigan +13 67
But Wigan will have a game in hand. They'll likely get at least a point from that, and we're not likely to beat Huddersfield by 3, so a Reading win will keep us out of the playoffs (when Wigan have played their game in hand).

I expect Wigan can recover from a draw just fine. They're a good team, and having just taken Arsenal to penalties in the semi final I doubt they'll be that low on confidence.

Our best chances of getting in the playoffs is if Wigan win.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If we lose then its probably better if Reading, Ipswich and Bournemouth lose too. If we win, then a Reading/Wigan draw is probably best, as well as Ipswich and Muff losing. Maybe.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Best result would be if they field ineligible players and are docked 3 points each after drawing the game.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
On the basis that we just need to get into the play offs and not worry about getting 5th as 6th position will do, i hope Wigan win 3-0.

Lets get 3 points at 'udders and worry about the other results later.

Is the right answer...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Be careful what you wish for. Had Reading beat Wigan we'd be 6th.
Think I'm still ok with the Wigan win. Had it have been a draw, Wigan wouldn't have been resting players today, but we could still have made it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here