Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wigan go into adminsitration

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Teams shouldn't be facing points deductions for entering administration at the moment. That's just sick.

I understand the sentiment but I'm not so sure - you need to protect the integrity of the competition and you can't change the rules mid season. Would inevitably end in a legal case from whoever went down instead.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
And liverpool etc will be spending 100 million+ on new players soon.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think the Whelan deal by his son Darren has something to do with this, not well liked by Wigan fans. They just signed Balogun from us, I hope we got paid up front...!
Although I did not like my time much in Wigan from 83-88 I did sometimes go to Springfield Park and watch the latics, in my Brighton shirt aswell !!
Feel for the fans, something does not smell right here...

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
How much is Whelan to blame ? He was lauded as a hero, took them to the prem and Wembley but once he had his fun sold them and without him pumping cash in their fate was somewhat inevitable. He's not been underhanded but Wigans status is his vision, the stadium still bears his initials and their current plight is his legacy even if he isn't the owner anymore

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Very sad news but I fear that they won't be the only one. Really feel for their fans as this situation is outside of their control.

I don't necessarily agree with giraffe's comments that "you can't change the rules mid season". Plenty of rules have been changed for this season as a result of coronavirus.

Still, for any Wigan fans reading this I would tell them not to despair. Palace have made a habit of going into admin to avoid paying their debts but if you look at the PL table it certainly hasn't done them any harm.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think the Whelan deal by his son Darren has something to do with this, not well liked by Wigan fans. They just signed Balogun from us, I hope we got paid up front...!
Although I did not like my time much in Wigan from 83-88 I did sometimes go to Springfield Park and watch the latics, in my Brighton shirt aswell !!
Feel for the fans, something does not smell right here...

Balogun was out of contract with us, contrary to what I put earlier it would appear he hasn't actually signed a permanent deal with Wigan but just a temporary deal until the end of the current season. His loan deal with Wigan, and contract with us would have finished yesterday, so the new deal with Wigan allows him to play in the remaining games.

It certainly seems something fishy is going on with this administration coming a few weeks after IEC sold the club. How can you pass the fit and proper persons test, proving you had the money to run the club for the rest of this season and all of next then a few weeks later file for administration. Not sure how much blame can be put with the Whelan family who effectively haven't been running the club for 2 years now.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not good news, especially for the Wigan fans,

In terms of rule changes to not hand out the 12 point deduction, I think this will very much depend on how many clubs go the same way as Wigan before the end of the season. If it's just Wigan I can't see any change coming, but if this is the start of a few clubs going the same way, then there will probably more of a climate to change the rules given the current situation.

Hopefully Wigan can come out of this playing football next season with the Football League rather than out of business as Bury

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not good news, especially for the Wigan fans,

In terms of rule changes to not hand out the 12 point deduction, I think this will very much depend on how many clubs go the same way as Wigan before the end of the season. If it's just Wigan I can't see any change coming, but if this is the start of a few clubs going the same way, then there will probably more of a climate to change the rules given the current situation.

Hopefully Wigan can come out of this playing football next season with the Football League rather than out of business as Bury

According this bloke on twitter there could be a force majeure clause (but what does he know eh.... :wink:)

[tweet]1278302772639735809[/tweet]

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Wigan currently 8 points clear of the bottom 3 and have a run of winnable games coming up against the current relegation battlers (Barnsley, Hull and Charlton) plus a QPR side languishing in mid table. Hopefully they can pick up the points to keep them up this season.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Wigan currently 8 points clear of the bottom 3 and have a run of winnable games coming up against the current relegation battlers (Barnsley, Hull and Charlton) plus a QPR side languishing in mid table. Hopefully they can pick up the points to keep them up this season.

correct me if i'm wrong but if they stay up they get the deduction next season?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
correct me if i'm wrong but if they stay up they get the deduction next season?

12 point deduction applies at the end of this season, unless they finish in the bottom 3 and get relegated anyway, if that happens then they start next season on -12

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Reading that link to their forum, they've been completely shafted by the EFL.

From what they are saying, the new owners took over 4 weeks ago having passed the EFL tests, including providing evidence of funding for the proscribed period (2 years or whatever it is). 4 weeks later they've put the club into admin citing the loss of income from Covid 19.

So where's the money that they "proved" they had to the EFL? Their excuse makes absolutely zero sense. What a shambles.

Maybe the EFL employed the same auditors from EY who didn't bother checking that $1.9bn in Wirecard's accounts actually existed (one for the geeks there). :wanker:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I fear this will be the first of many...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Reading that link to their forum, they've been completely shafted by the EFL.

From what they are saying, the new owners took over 4 weeks ago having passed the EFL tests, including providing evidence of funding for the proscribed period (2 years or whatever it is). 4 weeks later they've put the club into admin citing the loss of income from Covid 19.

So where's the money that they "proved" they had to the EFL? Their excuse makes absolutely zero sense. What a shambles.

Maybe the EFL employed the same auditors from EY who didn't bother checking that $1.9bn in Wirecard's accounts actually existed (one for the geeks there). :wanker:

Maybe the EFL need a fit and proper test themselves

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here