Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan chairman to quit if FA finds him guilty of racism

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems more than a bit bizarre by today's standards that WHUFC never raised a peep in protest at the time, especially as they had the wondrous silky skills of Clyde Best to draw on at the time.

alf-garnett.jpg

1974+Clyde+Best+SHOOT!+magazine.JPG

Different time, different planet really.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst I doubt warren Mitchell is genuinely racist I suspect that the series was trying for laughs by pandering to widely held prejudices at the time and the "point" of the series was hastily decided when these became unfashionable.

I suspect that your suspicions are MILES wide of the mark.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Seems more than a bit bizarre by today's standards that WHUFC never raised a peep in protest at the time, especially as they had the wondrous silky skills of Clyde Best to draw on at the time.

alf-garnett.jpg

1974+Clyde+Best+SHOOT!+magazine.JPG

Different time, different planet really.
A pretty average player, I doubt you can even remember watching him play and this is just the usual patronising that goes on from people with right on credentials to display.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
You don't think or you know ?Sounds like something that's been decided by the Emily thornberrys of this world.
Emily Thornberry was raised on a council estate. Would you buy a terraced house with a neighbour draping St George's flags all over their house all year round? I'm working class but I would be put off.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Emily Thornberry was raised on a council estate. Would you buy a terraced house with a neighbour draping St George's flags all over their house all year round? I'm working class but I would be put off.

A neighbour of his tweeted that the flags were put up for the World cup in June, and had been left up. Who told you that they were up all year round or is that your prejudice showing?

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Is that the Emily Thornberry who was raised on a council estate. You don't have to be rich to prefer not to have a neighbour draping St George's flags all over their house all year round.
Yes, in the hellhole of post industrial poverty and deprivation that is guildford, her father was also a human rights lawyer and shes married to a high court judge, a real working class hero eh ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A pretty average player, I doubt you can even remember watching him play and this is just the usual patronising that goes on from people with right on credentials to display.

Bollocks. You know NOTHING of my circumstances. I moved down from Scotland to Kent in 1970. My parents made me do it, I was a young teen, I had no say in the matter. Having watched Partick Thistle for all of my formative years, i was suddenly a kid in a candy store down South and used to cherry-pick London games every weekend on the strength of nothing but sheer entertainment value. West Ham always came out tops, followed in descending order of entertainment value by QPR, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs. At West Ham I'd stand behind the goal, so close to the net you could touch it, and hear, for example, Allan Clarke try to wind up a fresh-faced teenage Mervyn Day to the point of goading the keeper into smacking him one to secure a late penalty cos Leeds were trailing badly at the time.

Clyde Best was a hefty magician.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What on earth is racist about referring to someone as a negro ? Old fashioned perhaps ,but racist ? Not in my book ,or have liberal white hand wringers like yourself arbitrarily deemed negro "offensive" ?

I asked if you are thick or just trying to be controversial. Care to answer the question?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, in the hellhole of post industrial poverty and deprivation that is guildford, her father was also a human rights lawyer and shes married to a high court judge, a real working class hero eh ?

Who sends her own children to a private school.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The point I'm trying to make is that, although she is being accused of not understanding the working class, by the rich right wing press; she was, in fact brought up on a council estate. Also, most working class people don't put flags all over their house and leave them there for months. Guildford has council estates.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Who sends her own children to a private school.
She's a Labour politician. Stinking hypocrisy we've had to accept ever since I can remember, but actual public sneering and contempt is a relatively new phenomena.

I blame Blair.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The point I'm trying to make is that, although she is being accused of not understanding the working class, by the rich right wing press; she was, in fact brought up on a council estate. Also, most working class people don't put flags all over their house and leave them there for months. Guildford has council estates.

She was clearly aiming to portray the householder as a chav. I'm pretty sure most of Labour's ruling North London junta would have had a quiet snigger. Before it bit them majorly in the bum and possibly cost them the election.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Have you ever heard somebody described as having 'forgotten where they come from' ? Also you need to look at the circumstances whereby she came to live on a council estate, she is FAR from typical working class.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Neither, care to answer mine ?

Tell you what, why dont you go up to the next black bloke you see and call him a negro. I'm pretty certain, one way or another, you will find out if it's offensive or not.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
She's a Labour politician. Stinking hypocrisy we've had to accept ever since I can remember, but actual public sneering and contempt is a relatively new phenomena.

I blame Blair.
I think she was very foolish for the tweet and I would question her credibility if she sends her kids to private school, but she was not sneering at the working class because 1. She says she IS working class and 2. Not all working class people drape massive St George's flags over their houses for months.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Times have changed but there should be a little leeway given to the older generations in some of their language concerning ethnic minorities. My old mum used to love Ainsley Harriet and would often tell me she never could miss his shows.

" but I could never eat anything he prepared" she would say, screwing her face up. I couldn't tell her off but we would all just laugh. She was too far gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here