• Up to her

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Would actively discourage it

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My gf took my name and we've NO plans to marry - that's commitment for ya!

Also i should say that she used to be wed and never wants to do it again!

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Would you expect your fiance to take your name if you got married. I voiced recently that I would not expect my future wife to and in fact would actively discourage it. For some reason my old man got really arsey about this. Weird.

i'm with you on this. can't see why she should change her name, my wife hasn't.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I had to make a bit of a fuss about it, and my wife did, slightly reluctantly, take my name in the end. I just think there are many ways in which I show my love and commitment to her, including financial, and it's not much to ask as a token (more symbolic than anything else) of commitment the other way.

I'm sure there are many women who do not share that view, but sometimes you have to make a stand on these things if you feel strongly enough about it. My wife realised this was the case, and probably concentrated on 'battles' she was more likely to win. Which has been pretty much everything else...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm old fashioned and wanted my husband's name (both marriages) The whole idea is that husband, wife and children all have the same surname ie denoting a family.

Why would a woman want it to sound as though she is still part of her Mum and Dad's family when married?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think it really depends on the surname, if the bloke has an unusual surname that when combined with the womans forename makes something that could cause offence/hilarity then there can be a good case for her either keeping her maiden name or having both hyphenated.

One place I worked we had a bloke whose surname was Pead, the wife of another of the lads was called Millie...we said that she should divorce her husband and marry the bloke called Pead...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Wives are one thing, step children are where it's gets a lot more complicated. I used to have four (they were from two previous marriages) and soon I will be down to one. At no time would I expect them to take my name (although I would quite enjoy it if the new one did because it would really piss off her nob of a father.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Wives are one thing, step children are where it's gets a lot more complicated. I used to have four (they were from two previous marriages) and soon I will be down to one. At no time would I expect them to take my name (although I would quite enjoy it if the new one did because it would really piss off her nob of a father.

I wouldn't expect step children to take another name. I was referring to the ideal of one marriage with natural children (or adopted as young)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
She did, why ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I wouldn't expect step children to take another name. I was referring to the ideal of one marriage with natural children (or adopted as young)

I know that, I was just referring to a point though. At one point my so to be ex step daughter hated her father so much she would have taken my name just to annoy him :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Mine did, and I have a terrible name.

I think it is pretty shit not to in all honesty. the only exceptions I would concede would be if she were a writer or actress, or glamour model for example whom traded on their name. Even then they could continue to use that proffessionally and take yours anyway.

Is it ffer ffa out of interest?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I like my name and I must say it has never occurred to me to worry whether people would still think I was part of my mother's family. Although of course I am, since she is my mother! But first and foremost it is MY name. If I started calling myself something different, nobody would know who I was!! Including me.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I like my name and I must say it has never occurred to me to worry whether people would still think I was part of my mother's family. Although of course I am, since she is my mother! But first and foremost it is MY name. If I started calling myself something different, nobody would know who I was!! Including me.

It's easy to get used to. I was one name for 21 years, married and had that name for 24 years and then remarried and have had that name for 14 years now.
A change is as good as a rest.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

yep, sense to me

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
What'll happen in a few years when all these double-barrelled kids get maried (shotgun weddings?) and then the names will get even longer!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My missus didn't and it's fine by me. It's an outdated tradition. I'm much more bothered about my unborn baby having my surname.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports