Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why you should try to avoid shopping at Amazon

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't agree with any of this and I have answered most, if not all, of your points in other posts.

i know you dont agree, but its the reality of economics. i see you saying "if a company cant afford to pay higher wages they shouldnt be in business", but the unfortunate side effect that would negativly impact the people you intend to help. either the business does shut, or everything cost more which impacts the low earner or the high earner more.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You make it sound like you shouldn't have to work, just get it handed you on a plate ! Un****ing believable!

I don't think he is.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
No I don't believe anyone should work an 80 hour week, but where people are prepared to do so for a better standard of living I applaud them!

No one on here really has a clue how people cope and how much disposable income others have! It's normally a personal issue and kept within four walls. However, if you need to earn more and to do so you have to work long hours then is that not applaudable? As opposed to others who just bleat on about the minimum wage needing to be £10 P/H?! That is not realistic and the vast majority on here know that!

For the record, I work shifts, doing 42 - 60 hours a week depending on how busy we are and on my days off I run my own part time business! I do so to have the nice things in life!! Thankfully in this life, you get out of it what you put in and if that means putting a shift in to earn extra I'm all for it! If that's Sad, for 25 years I have been getting it wrong!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No I don't believe anyone should work an 80 hour week, but where people are prepared to do so for a better standard of living I applaud them!

Do you have any time to "live" after an 80 hour week?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
i know you dont agree, but its the reality of economics. i see you saying "if a company cant afford to pay higher wages they shouldnt be in business", but the unfortunate side effect that would negativly impact the people you intend to help. either the business does shut, or everything cost more which impacts the low earner or the high earner more.

In the case of Amazon, things should cost more. Their deliberate operating at a loss is making it hard for other companies to stay in business. e.g. selling Amazon Kindle at below break-even point is making it hard for competitors such as Nook, from Barnes and Noble, to stay in business. In the short term, people win as consumers through low price of tablets but then lose out on choice and, then as workers, because tablets become a profitless industry without many jobs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Please read my following reply! I never said it was 'great' I said it 'was a great work ethic'! Two totally different phrases and meanings!

But your posts certainly approve of this life style. You cannot deny this.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Please read my following reply! I never said it was 'great' I said it 'was a great work ethic'! Two totally different phrases and meanings!

Sorry. It wasn't a criticism. At the moment, I would do that if I could, but my profession (teaching assistant) doesn't allow it. I could get a second job, I guess.

If anything, your ascertain that to earn a decent wage means working 80 hours a week suggests that the current system doesn't work.

I'm not suggesting that we need to divide all money equally between every citizen, but I don't feel comfortable with people earning mega millions when they are covering the same hours.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Do you have any time to "live" after an 80 hour week?

Just out of interest, what is your ideal? 35-37 hour week, 1 hour for lunch, tea break morning and afternoon, 30 days annual holiday, a few sick days to bolster this up to 35-40 days, private health care, ride to work scheme, subsidised cafe, flexi working and 35k per year?

For some this is probably a reality but for most but a dream!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just out of interest, what is your ideal? 35-37 hour week, 1 hour for lunch, tea break morning and afternoon, 30 days annual holiday, a few sick days to bolster this up to 35-40 days, private health care, ride to work scheme, subsidised cafe, flexi working and 35k per year?

For some this is probably a reality but for most but a dream!!

Average of 40 hours per week on a decent living wage. If folk want to do a bit of over-time fine. Having to work 80 hours every week is wrong in my opinion.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Not bothered about the cafe, but I'd want a decent pension scheme too....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Indeed. Does an 80 hour week benefit the family? Financially, probably. Socially? Hard to imagine.

why do family come into it? where does this assumption come from?

In the case of Amazon, things should cost more. Their deliberate operating at a loss is making it hard for other companies to stay in business. e.g. selling Amazon Kindle at below break-even point is making it hard for competitors such as Nook, from Barnes and Noble, to stay in business. In the short term, people win as consumers through low price of tablets but then lose out on choice and, then as workers, because tablets become a profitless industry without many jobs.

first, things dont necessarily cost less on Amazon, and often when they are they are through third parties. i've brought things through Amazon that are a quid or two more than elsewhere for the convenience. secondly, are you really going to hold up multibillion $ Barnes and Noble as the example of the poor done by competitors? given prices for other tablet devices, i reckon you'll find Nook is break even/minimal margin as they are mimicking the same business model.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Listen, I totally agree with you! I have just been killing time on the train back to London for work tomorrow!!

80 hours is a piss take but the reality is, people are doing that! I count myself lucky, I do the hours to suit, many aren't as lucky!

Sad thing is, the minimum wage is here to stay and we all know it will never be in line with what we all perceive to be a 'living standard'!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Started reading this thread but got as far as page 4! What I would say that instead of worrying about workers at Amazon, perhaps attention should be focused on the sweatshops in Bangladesh and the Indian sub continent where conditions are considerably worse!!! (sorry if this has been raised subsequent to p4!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here