Why you should try to avoid shopping at Amazon

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Amazon simply take the p...

Pay poorly
Avoid tax
Ruin the high street

Lovely -NOT

Or put another way we have created the monster. Amazon are responding to current consumer demand which is cheap products ordered online and delivered to your door. To achieve those prices they have to run an incredibly efficient and cost focused business. This is what drives this behaviour but people will tut moan sympathise with the people and then return to their laptop to complete the basket on their amazon order.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Out of interest what sector is your business? Are setting the trend in paying all your staff well above the minimum? Finally "Some low-end, low skill, poorly managed, low value added businesses might struggle a bit, but they're the kind of businesses we could do with less of in this country anyway" is a tad condescending don't you think. With that comment can I assume you don't think much of local service industries. Not all businesses can be high end international high value types, the others are needed also. Just because some businesses struggle doesn't automatically mean they are badly managed.

Professional service sector. We pay annual salaries not hourly rates, but our lowest paid support/admin staff get around £18k in Brighton office, and a bit higher in London (35 hour week). We only use subcontractors (office cleaners, caterers etc) who pay at least the living wage (http://www.livingwage.org.uk/), which is currently set at £8.80 per hour in London and £7.65 outside, and have had no difficulty finding suppliers who do this.

In my personal as well as business life, I try to avoid buying from businesses known to pay poverty wages (although it's not always possible to know this)

And no I certainly don't think the bit you quote is condescending; the dominance in the UK economy of low margin, low skill, and yes poorly-managed SMEs has long been recognised by politicians and economists of all political persuasions as something causing a problem for our international competitiveness. True that not all businesses are in international markets, but they will be competing for labour with those who are, and if the latter start paying decent wages, others will be forced to over time.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Or put another way we have created the monster. Amazon are responding to current consumer demand which is cheap products ordered online and delivered to your door. To achieve those prices they have to run an incredibly efficient and cost focused business. This is what drives this behaviour but people will tut moan sympathise with the people and then return to their laptop to complete the basket on their amazon order.

You're right. We have created this monster. Nevertheless, it does not negate the fact that it's worthwhile to recognise the negative impact of our actions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
why is the higher price correct? why cant the cheaper price be correct?

Because if you're paying staff a shitty hourly wage which they cannot live on and which is most likely being subsidized by the tax payer via tax credits then this isn't the true market price. The price is dictated partially by government subsidy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I sold my farm a few months ago, now on to new ventures. My wife's health dictated circumstances unfortunately.

Best wishes and good luck with your new venture.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Why do you think they can keep prices low ? Because conditions and pay for UK standards are poor - simple as that.

The same thing happens in a lot of companies in the UK nowadays - something must be done about it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Expecting people to completely boycott Amazon is unrealistic - but I would hope that more awareness of how they treat their staff and the fact that they use loopholes to avoid paying tax, may result in people thinking twice before they click to buy.

It would be a start if people at least thought about doing *some* of their Christmas shopping using their local high street, instead of getting everything on there. Personally, I also think there's something to be said for the experience of browsing in a book or music store. Unfortunately, thanks to Amazon, they are now an endangered species.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Amazon always offer an amazing service I'll always use them

No one is questioning the fact they offer an 'amazing service' to customers. But there are other issues worthy of consideration.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Think outside the box for a mo if you would guys...

My company have decided to offer a new service to prospective customers but our market is aimed mostly at retired people. As this generation don't tend or wish to use a computer to book our service (even though I have just designed a new website). We made some enquiries about taking on a shop to offer our service but were completely priced out of doing so. There is no chance of us making any profit based on unrealistic rent charges where we are based so what would you suggest we do to remain competitive to offer a service.

This has nothing to do with Amazon of course but it just shows how difficult things are becoming for small businesses because trying to compete with the 'big' companies. A bustling High Street is important IMO and keeps local communities ticking along nicely. Blimey, most folk these days don't even know their next door neigbours names let alone use their local butcher, greengrocer etc.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because if you're paying staff a shitty hourly wage which they cannot live on and which is most likely being subsidized by the tax payer via tax credits then this isn't the true market price. The price is dictated partially by government subsidy.

just because an employee receives a tax credit, it doesnt presume or even have any bearing on what the employer pays, what they think the role is worth or the market rate for that work. i assume from your position that where there are direct subsidies you would rather they were removed, along with any head count they pay for, so fewer jobs for low/unskilled workers. not to mention this whole idea that people cant "live" on wages, that are often part-time, second earners or the young who different perspective on the cost of living. end of the day some things, products, services or indeed labour skills, have a low value.

May 17, 2011
1066 country
Sounds like you should aspire for better, not only for the poor gits working for a pathetic minimum wage under those conditions, but also for yourself.

We are always being told by our boss how lucky we are to have an unskilled job earning £8 an hour even though we work days/nights & nearly every weekend,min 60hrs wk. I feel privalaged. as he says. if we don't do it there are millions who will for less.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
just because an employee receives a tax credit, it doesnt presume or even have any bearing on what the employer pays, what they think the role is worth or the market rate for that work. i assume from your position that where there are direct subsidies you would rather they were removed, along with any head count they pay for, so fewer jobs for low/unskilled workers. not to mention this whole idea that people cant "live" on wages, that are often part-time, second earners or the young who different perspective on the cost of living. end of the day some things, products, services or indeed labour skills, have a low value.

I don't agree with any of this and I have answered most, if not all, of your points in other posts.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
We are always being told by our boss how lucky we are to have an unskilled job earning £8 an hour even though we work days/nights & nearly every weekend,min 60hrs wk. I feel privalaged. as he says. if we don't do it there are millions who will for less.

This is a great work ethic! I applaud people who work additional hours to achieve a better wage. Ok, in an ideal world the minimum wage should be higher but as has been said, it would just raise cost of goods/services as much as many believe that it wouldn't!

I work with lads who regularly work 80 hour weeks on minimum wage just to make up their wage! Again, not great but they also have a great work ethic and like they say, 'there are many others out there who would do it if they didn't!

Nibble - in principle it would be great for us all to have the magical £250 a week to spend. Just out of interest, what annual wage would you need for that dream to be reality? Taking into consideration bills, mortgage/rent etc!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is a great work ethic! I applaud people who work additional hours to achieve a better wage. Ok, in an ideal world the minimum wage should be higher but as has been said, it would just raise cost of goods/services as much as many believe that it wouldn't!

I work with lads who regularly work 80 hour weeks on minimum wage just to make up their wage! Again, not great but they also have a great work ethic and like they say, 'there are many others out there who would do it if they didn't!

Nibble - in principle it would be great for us all to have the magical £250 a week to spend. Just out of interest, what annual wage would you need for that dream to be reality? Taking into consideration bills, mortgage/rent etc!

Do you really feel it's "great" that someone has to work 80 hours a week? Sad.

Goat lung

Jan 27, 2013
Minimum wage needs to be higher, rent control needs to be introduced, taxes on low earners needs to be less, but no government is going to make themselves poor and unpopular with big business by doing these things. We all want cheaper living. Want into one hand, shit into the other, see which one fills up first. There is only one way you're gonna survive this government and that's get a job. You go into the benefit system and you may a s well give up.

You make it sound like you shouldn't have to work, just get it handed you on a plate ! Un****ing believable!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Seems to me that if we are getting stuff cheap then somebody somewhere is suffering for it. The cheaper it is the more they suffer. The problem being that because of low wages we cannot afford to buy anything but the cheap shit that causes suffering.

Grim vicious cycle really.

My plan is to buy less stuff this Christmas, and do without the shite I don't need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here