Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why you should try to avoid shopping at Amazon

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, how much does the UK tax payer supplement Amazon's low wages (and their profits) via tax credits?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Also Les is wrong, he's worked there over 12 weeks, so due to AWR he has exactly the same rights and pay as a permanent employee doing the same job, or Amazon are breaking the law, which I very much doubt.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Because when you are over 25 you have more fiscal responsibility in all areas of life.

But if you're doing the same job as someone who is 23, who may do it better than you, why should they get paid less?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
As an aside, how much does the UK tax payer supplement Amazon's low wages (and their profits) via tax credits?

This is something I have an issue with. Obviously the Tory scum are trying to do away with this benefit but it is abhorrant we effectively pay greedy companies wages.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Doesn't affect how I feel about Amazon. I shop there for the stuff, not for their treatment of their staff, which is none of my concern.

Sorry if that's a bit honest for some people, but I literally couldn't care less. There's more going on in the world. Those people are employed, it could be a LOT worse. Trust me.

couldn't agree more

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Interesting point however I doubt we will ever know.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Isn't Amazon UK barely profitable currently?

All Amazon's barely make a profit. That's why there was this hoohar when they turned over 8bn quid last year and would have hardly paid any tax if they were based in the UK. Their business model is bizarre, but then if Twitter is worth 10bn or whatever it is on earnings of 2 bags of peanuts, then then it looks quite sound!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
But if you're doing the same job as someone who is 23, who may do it better than you, why should they get paid less?

Because over 25's have more fiscal responsibility in general. More likely to be home owners, have kids etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why should you earn more because you are over 25? Why would anyone doing unskilled work bother to try to push themselves and get ahead in life if they were already earning at least £10 an hour? If everyone earnt more then prices would just go up anyway, surely?

Living wage breeds more confidence and spending in the economy, more businesses start up, more competition which caps cost of living plus less unemployment and more money for the government. End result healthier country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All Amazon's barely make a profit. That's why there was this hoohar when they turned over 8bn quid last year and would have hardly paid any tax if they were based in the UK. Their business model is bizarre, but then if Twitter is worth 10bn or whatever it is on earnings of 2 bags of peanuts, then then it looks quite sound!

Amazon is being challenged by the HMRC isn't it?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd love minimum wage. You should try living on £72 benefits.

Agreed however if you start pushing it up then surely there is a point where a company becomes unprofitable ?
But Amazon is structured to be unprofitable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...etailer-and-it-doesnt-even-make-a-profit.html

Quarterly sales volume:- $15,700,000,000
Quarterly loss:- $7,000,000
Accumulated profits, since foundation of the company:- NIL
Change in share price over five years:- +500%

It's a cunning trick, but no-one seems to understand how it works, other than by promising unstoppable growth. It's bound to end in tears. But when?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'd love minimum wage. You should try living on £72 benefits.

Quite. I was on it for a while. Bloody awful .You should try living on nothing. I don't get work, I don't get paid. Nowt like it for putting a rocket up your arris and finding work. Don't qualify for WTC, can't sign on if I have no work, so much for Tory's encouraging self employment. They have made it a total nightmare.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But Amazon is structured to be unprofitable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...etailer-and-it-doesnt-even-make-a-profit.html

Quarterly sales volume:- $15,700,000,000
Quarterly loss:- $7,000,000
Accumulated profits, since foundation of the company:- NIL
Change in share price over five years:- +500%

It's a cunning trick, but no-one seems to understand how it works, other than by promising unstoppable growth. It's bound to end in tears. But when?

I have never looked at their figures so that really is very bizarre to say the least.

Mind you a lot of people where I work fail to comprehend what a profit is or means.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is something I have an issue with. Obviously the Tory scum are trying to do away with this benefit but it is abhorrant we effectively pay greedy companies wages.

The tax credit is an indirect acknowledgement from the government and business that the minimum wage is too low. Scrap it but ensure the workers still get the same amount by raising the minimum wage. And if a business cannot sustain this then as I mentioned earlier it is unsustainable and unviable. Just like you cannot run a business if your rent is too high you cannot run a business paying people a rate which they cannot live on.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's rather anti-competitive of them to enter markets, where they are not trying to make a profit, or deliberately making a loss, to put the squeeze on competitors such as independent book shops, other e-reader and tablet manufacturers, who don't have such a luxury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here