Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why yesterdays result was perfect

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't feel we are at a disadvantage from yesterdays result. Our advantage was having a good run out with nothing at stake.

I thought it was a great game and they ran their legs off. Fitness levels are also a factor next week and they look in great shape.

Boro have beaten us 0-3 so it is really our obligation to return the love with our promotion. This is simply about getting our points back. How good is that it should end this way? It's absolutely brilliant.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The "plan" was always win at Boro and you are up. The plan as such hadn't changed. Derby was a weird one. For weeks now its been win every game, then the dynamic had changed with the Brum/Boro result and I'm sure subconsciously the players were in a "as long as we don't lose mindset". Which they didnt even tho they nearly did so its a credit they kept battling because even a loss wouldn't have been the end of the world. Its those fighting qualities that get you up.

HOWEVER

Dunk is an absolute CLOWN no excuses.

Ballsack and Hemed really need to bring their A game. I would start Wilson instead of Baldock and Murphy instead of Skalak

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
How is that better than needing a win?

It means the players know a draw isn't enough. Keeps the mind focused and imagine we are 1-0 up with 5 mins to go I expect it to be like the opening scene of saving private ryan throwing bodies on the line to stop Boro getting past. Incidentally 1-0 down and I expect a huge cavalry charge, shit or bust!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Then again... if we go behind, we're ****ed.

We'd need to score two goals against a team which has conceded just seven at home all season.

The thing is that the rule book goes out of the window for this one. It's a complete one off and any statistics and forecasts are meaningless and nobody can predict the outcome. Mind you I wouldn't be surprised if a 96th minute goal was a deciding factor!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Then again... if we go behind, we're ****ed.

We'd need to score two goals against a team which has conceded just seven at home all season.

True. But they've not been under this sort of pressure yet. Can do funny things to people.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
In any race you need a moment when you slow up just a little, the curve has to dip slightly before the finish, so the curve can rise again for the sprint at the end.

Asking the football Gods for 8 wins on the bounce is asking an awful lot. Asking for 6 wins, a draw and another win, that is a far more reasonable ask.

When a draw is enough you spend 90 minutes 50% worrying about scoring and 50% worrying about the other team scoring. You want the game to end after the first minute. But when you need a win you are concerned 100% with scoring yourself, from the first minute.

What we showed and how we felt in the final minutes against Derby, that is what we will now need to show and feel from the off against Boro. That, for me, is a good thing.

After 6 straight wins we were maybe due something other than a win at some point very soon. Now we have had it. Now we are due a win. We've got our blip out of the way, we take our frustration and results breather being for yesterday, and now we use it to get back to winning again on Saturday.

Makes perfect sense to me, and more sense than 8 wins on the bounce.

BELIEVE. :bhasign:

Excellent. Not a blip, just a pause for breath.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I don't see the draw against Derby as a blip. They are one of the form teams and it was always going to be a difficult game. Our problem is that despite our great run we were coming from behind and Middkesborough and Burnley have kept up - mainly with late goals. That last minute Burnley equaliser against us was a killer.

Middlesborough have had much more mixed form than us recently. We will have to take our chances but I believe we can do it if we come out positively from the first half.

However as with the Dunk red on Monday, I will also be hoping for no red cards that could affect the team if we are in the playoffs....

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Very well put. I will go along with that entirely and hope you are right.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
In some ways easier to go for a win than a draw, as you can just go for it. Forget stats etc, it will
Be down to team spirit, good man management and guts, think we have that in abundance, and dare I say more that Boro. They have the pressure being at home, their fans expectation, their manager seems a bit strange and they don't have the togetherness we have, so with all that, I predict we will win, but will be very close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Let's chuck in another omen from another promotion season...

'87-'88: WWWWWWDW
'15-'16: WWWWWWD?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let's chuck in another omen from another promotion season...

'87-'88: WWWWWWDW
'15-'16: WWWWWWD?

All these good omens, sequences, Mike Dean referee, playing the final game in the north east, playing in yellow, mean only one thing. The playoffs.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Show the team the highlights from Newcastle 1979 on how to achieve it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
At least the result means the Boro excuse of he disallowed goal does not make any difference.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
In any race you need a moment when you slow up just a little, the curve has to dip slightly before the finish, so the curve can rise again for the sprint at the end.

Asking the football Gods for 8 wins on the bounce is asking an awful lot. Asking for 6 wins, a draw and another win, that is a far more reasonable ask.

When a draw is enough you spend 90 minutes 50% worrying about scoring and 50% worrying about the other team scoring. You want the game to end after the first minute. But when you need a win you are concerned 100% with scoring yourself, from the first minute.

What we showed and how we felt in the final minutes against Derby, that is what we will now need to show and feel from the off against Boro. That, for me, is a good thing.

After 6 straight wins we were maybe due something other than a win at some point very soon. Now we have had it. Now we are due a win. We've got our blip out of the way, we take our frustration and results breather being for yesterday, and now we use it to get back to winning again on Saturday.

Makes perfect sense to me, and more sense than 8 wins on the bounce.

BELIEVE. :bhasign:
100% this is how all us supporters should be viewing Saturday. Great post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here