Why? Why us and always against teams we have some sort of 'beef' with?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd personally take winning the FA or league cup over promotion to the dull Premier League.

An away trip in Europe excites me more than a trip to Stoke & West Brom.
Sadly not getting promotion costs Tony £18 million a season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Down the years, is it me or do we save our worst performances for teams like Reading, Massive Wed, Palace, Orient, Brentford...FFS I'm just glad we're not in the same league as Crawley! We have some fantastic records against others but I'd rather swap Peterborough or Wolves for some of the aforementioned.

Regardless of manager, team, division ...we just seem to feck things up when playing 'these' sorts of clubs especially. Don't we?

PS Bloody hell Brighton, you really piss me off!:tantrum: (See Saturday, mind...)

Sadly not getting promotion costs Tony £18 million a season.

Premier League is LITTERED with rubbish clubs we used to beat on a regular basis in the lower leagues. Getting more than a bit annoying now, has to be said.

Needs a step-change in the level of investment now. And a big SWIVEL to the dullards who parrot that it's easy to Spend Other People's Money. Them's the rules Benny, so don't even BOTHER.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Chelsea rested players and they don't even have Europe as an excuse. They'll likely play less games than us this year.
And they have a big squad of international, multi million pound players (plus about 50 out on loan). It's a bit of a daft comparison to say they are taking it seriously. They had Kante, Hazard and Costa on the bench last night.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
We are shit against Reading whatever team we play.

See a thread i started earlier titled "Stats for teams we have played in Championship league games"

In CHAMPIONSHIP league games alone this is our record against Reading.

P13 / W1 / D5 / L7 - 11 scored, 23 conceded.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

See a thread i started earlier titled "Stats for teams we have played in Championship league games"

Said this to the Mrs the other night. It's the same as against the Massive at Hillsborough. We could be in the Premier League and them in League 2 and if we went to Hillsborough for a cup game we'd lose.

I think maybe some of the "beef" has actually arisen out of the jinx these clubs seem to have over us rather than the other way round.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Other than Sheffield Wednesday all those other teams you've mentioned we have BEATEN more times than they have beaten us including Palace (poor form recent years)

Record v Sheffield Wednesday is W5 D5 L14

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Not sure of its the league cup you are saying is devalued by premier league clubs, in the past three seasons city have won in twice and Chelsea once. Obviously they only won it as there didn't care.

I understand getting to the premier league is the top priority, but why? What do you get for that? Do people talk about who went up 3 years ago or would you not rather talk about winning a cup at Wembley?

Sunderland last won a trophy in 1973 with a fa cup win but since that have been promoted to the top league almost more times than fingers however which thing do you think fans talk about, even ones like me that were not there for the cup win but have held season tickets when promoted

At the start of the season would you have rather we won the EFL or get promoted to the Prem this season?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
At the start of the season would you have rather we won the EFL or get promoted to the Prem this season?

I am a Sunderland fan and the same as last year and the years before that especially when we played city in the final I would rather win a cup and get relegated then what we do in the pl year in year out. Family members saw us lift the cup at Wembley in 73 and say nothing has better that since including all the time we have spent in the top league. Nothing in football has made the hair on my neck stand up the same way as it did walking up to Wembley way to the final and I was a season ticket holder to see us promoted twice

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
I am a Sunderland fan and the same as last year and the years before that especially when we played city in the final I would rather win a cup and get relegated then what we do in the pl year in year out. Family members saw us lift the cup at Wembley in 73 and say nothing has better that since including all the time we have spent in the top league. Nothing in football has made the hair on my neck stand up the same way as it did walking up to Wembley way to the final and I was a season ticket holder to see us promoted twice

OK, fair enough. It's a bit of a different situation when you're already in the Prem (and have been in and out of it for a while). For I imagine, most Brighton fans the main objective is to get promotion, and if that means resting key first team players for the league and putting out our 'second string' for cup games then so be it, the crowd of 6,000 showed how just how much the majority of fans are bothered.

I honestly could not give a flying f*ck about either of the cups (and didn't before we were knocked out btw) if it means we have even an inkling of a better chance of winning promotion

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
OK, fair enough. It's a bit of a different situation when you're already in the Prem (and have been in and out of it for a while). For I imagine, most Brighton fans the main objective is to get promotion, and if that means resting key first team players for the league and putting out our 'second string' for cup games then so be it, the crowd of 6,000 showed how just how much the majority of fans are bothered.

I honestly could not give a flying f*ck about either of the cups (and didn't before we were knocked out btw) if it means we have even an inkling of a better chance of winning promotion

I get that but it's not all is cracked up to be

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The record against Reading has got worse in the last 10 years since I moved to Reading - I apologise and it is me being punished for being a plonker in early life

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

It's NOT me then! I here by find Brighton and Hove Albion GUILTY as charged. May God have mercy on all our souls.

Sort it out Hughton!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The record against Reading has got worse in the last 10 years since I moved to Reading - I apologise and it is me being punished for being a plonker in early life

Damn you. Damn you and your socks for the misery we've endured because of your selfish move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports