Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why this season won't be my last

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Follower since the age of eight - my local club then, town where I was born (in the workhouse, due to a deadly outbreak of diptheria(sp) in the maternity wards - could wind my mum up about that to my dying day), visited relatives in or around Brighton but none still with us now, but never a regular attender - host of reasons at different times. For reasons of uncertain health on a day to day basis and a long journey, I don't do booking in advance - now I only ever see the Albion at away matches relatively near to me where I can turn up on the day, ask nicely to be let in and sit on my hands among the home crowd.

If Uncle Tony ever gets to build his hotel by the ground, I might splash out and treat myself to a weekend away.....oh, and HWT, enough of this far older malarkey. I'd hate to have to put you on ignore....................... :)[/QUOTE]

Fair dos. I was conflating the far olders with the merely older who are still attending. Schoolboy error. What about @boys 3d?

It turns out my mum's cousin (who died 3 years ago aged 94) was a complete regular in the mid and late 30s. Trouble is she had no decent anecdotes and could name none of the players. Just being there appears to run in the family :lolol:

I'd love to see a post from someone proper old (over 80s) who still attends a few times a season and who is still up for it (a nice game and a cup of tea, not 6 pints, two lines, a fight and a knee trembler, obviously).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Follower since the age of eight - my local club then, town where I was born (in the workhouse, due to a deadly outbreak of diptheria(sp) in the maternity wards - could wind my mum up about that to my dying day), visited relatives in or around Brighton but none still with us now, but never a regular attender - host of reasons at different times. For reasons of uncertain health on a day to day basis and a long journey, I don't do booking in advance - now I only ever see the Albion at away matches relatively near to me where I can turn up on the day, ask nicely to be let in and sit on my hands among the home crowd.

If Uncle Tony ever gets to build his hotel by the ground, I might splash out and treat myself to a weekend away.....oh, and HWT, enough of this far older malarkey. I'd hate to have to put you on ignore....................... :)[/QUOTE]

Fair dos. I was conflating the far olders with the merely older who are still attending. Schoolboy error. What about @boys 3d?

It turns out my mum's cousin (who died 3 years ago aged 94) was a complete regular in the mid and late 30s. Trouble is she had no decent anecdotes and could name none of the players. Just being there appears to run in the family :lolol:

I'd love to see a post from someone proper old (over 80s) who still attends a few times a season and who is still up for it (a nice game and a cup of tea, not 6 pints, two lines, a fight and a knee trembler, obviously).

My late Dad went in the 40s and 50s, but we never talked about it much. He was also watched Pompey when he was in the navy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

My Dad's oldest brother was a regular attender - he knew someone who owned a house in Goldstone Lane and watched from their front garden without paying anything! If he hadn't been such a shite as an uncle (and as a big brother) he might have taken me to a match - Dad was never really interested - but it never happened. Didn't get to see the Albion until I was 18. Never mind bottle tops - my first Albion experience was after playing for the school second XI in the morning, with all my kit in a duffle bag!
Last Albion match I've seen was the yoof at Forest Green last season in that cup thingy that nobody wants to win................

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Cancelled my ST which I've had since the Amex opened before last season ended. Financially it wasn't making sense with being away for 6 months of the year.
Also, it used to be easy to pass on for someone else to use, and no, I never made money off it. The ticket sharing scheme has been done to death on here, but it's really sh*te & was the decider.

My last game before coming away for work was Man Utd at home , and I took my son, age 5 at the time. Obviously, it was just an unbelievable game, and at the end, my Tom said to me, "Dad, this is the best day of my life".
I was away for his birthday, and I Face-Timed home to say happy birthday, he's football mad, so was pleased with all his gifts, nothing too much, panini stickers, new football, new shin pads.
Then I asked where he'd like to sit next time we get tickets for a game, (I already knew). "Next to the pitch, so I can be close to the players".
Then I told him what else I got him for his birthday. ST's for us both, in the front row of the NW corner. He was absolutely delighted & couldn't wait to tell his mates.

So, what I'm trying to say is, just when you think you are out, they pull you back in! :lolol:

I think that 2 x tickets next to each other will sell more easily on the ticket exchange, so I really hope our seats are filled when I can't make it. I felt bad last season knowing that my seat was empty for so many games.

I'll be going with or without a ST until my dying day, and I have a feeling that will be passed on to the next generation.

Up the Albion. :bhasign:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

My dad is 75, season ticket holder, started going in about 1964 and still just sneaks into the top tier for away tickets on 3000 allocation games. I'll see how he's doing in 5 years time and let you know!

Edit - but not on NSC

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Finances permitting, I'll be a ST holder until they roll me into that oven.

My first game was 1967, a home defeat to Walsall, and I truly got the bug. I went with my dad until I was 12 and then went on my own. I've been a ST holder at the Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and now the Amex.

The strange thing is: I'm not a massive football fan, I prefer cricket and rugby but going to the Albion was a way I could keep in touch with Brighton, when I lived in London and, of course, gave my dad and me plenty to talk about - the last conversation I had with him was about the away match at Bolton when we got knocked out of the cup: he died a few days later. Sadly, my own kids have lost interest in the sport but for me, it's a link with my dad that sustains me.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Depends on how this retirement lark goes.

As we are not stuck to school holidays for holidays now, I will have to see if it is going to be worth it missing a lot of games.

We are away two weeks in august ( booked whilst wiffi still working at school) probably October, and December and hopefully February…so could be missing half our games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here