Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why the .... would a young couple go to a harvester?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not entirely sure when the Harvester popped up, but I seem to remember that they served good quality food in the late 80s, early 90s. I used to share a Combine Harvester with my sister. Haven't been back for nearly two decades, so I assume it has worsened.

When did you last go, Rev?

I don't think he's grizzling about the quality of the food, he's making out that a young couple is spoiling his evening at Harvester's by being there.

RotR is 52.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think they are fine but this tickled me. Tripadvisor for Southbury branch. About 4 or 5 absolutely awful reviews ranging from the staff looked unpleasant, food an hour late to rude staff and ignored requests. Then "suddenly" two of the most glowing reviews I have ever read.....

Cannot believe the reviews this place has! I've never had a problem!”

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here many times and never had a problem. The service is polite and considerably fast. On week days in the afternoon it seems there is only one waitress working and they work efficiently and effectively. The food is always delicious and freshly cooked. They are willing to cater to all needs. If they are not sure about something they check and get back to you. I would eat here again and again and I would ignore all the bad reviews it has been given. I've been to a lot of harvesters and this is by far one of the best! I always tip

Yeah alright love.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Must have been a girls night out group as per the advert where the chef shakes his seasoning all over the grill?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This was the standard of most other reviews:

A Disgrace

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

I went to this restaurant when it very first opened. The food was appalling inclusive of slightly frozen dough balls, cold corn on the cob and a forty minute wait for food. Harvester describes its food as fresh, full of flavour and just how you like it. It is not. TGI Friday was full on this Saturday evening so we went for a return visit to the Harvester, thinking opening week was first night nerves. It was not. The food is not fresh. It is not full of flavour and the only thing that was 'just how I like it' was the firecracker sauce, though I had to order that twice. My wife's chicken burger was a beef burger, the corn on the cob is still cold, and for the first time in my life I told my children not to eat up. The macaroni cheese is so bad there is no way a member of the harvester staff would even feed it to their dog. You can see where the pennies have been pinched and corners cut without even tasting anything. My chicken was so grey on the inside and yellow on the out it looked like a festered emu. I can't believe any customer would go to this establishment more than once, but I'm ashamed to say I did, and worst of all I took the most precious people in my life with me, my family. I apologise for putting their health at risk. If TGI Friday builds an extension... I expect this restaurant would have nothing to harvest by next autumn. Oh... And When I requested Savignion Blanc I was asked if I wanted red or white.

Visited September 20132 of 5 stars Value
2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
2 of 5 stars Service

How can two reviews of the same place be so differing!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Corn on the cob is horrible anywhere but home. It's the one frozen veg that defrosting essentially ****s

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think he's grizzling about the quality of the food, he's making out that a young couple is spoiling his evening at Harvester's by being there.

RotR is 52.

I hope he is not posting live!

Corn on the cob is horrible anywhere but home. It's the one frozen veg that defrosting essentially ****s

Very true. I'm yet to find somewhere that does not drown the poor cob.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Ow and for the record, macaroni cheese should not be fed to dogs. Upsets their tummies and seasoned dog owners will know it'll come back to haunt you!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Accept the salad bar has lots of grubby kids that have used their hands and dropped snot and sneezes into because their chav parents haven't taught them any manners. The only thing I would eat at harvester is deep fried. Kills all bugs. Hygiene control is what puts me off harvester because cheap end of the market attracts waynetter slobs who have no manners and think its acceptable to use their hands and put things back!! Yuk! It might happen behind the kitchen doors in more upmarket places but I can't see it happening in front of me!!
Where's your sense of adventure.

You're never going grub eating with Ray Mears.
The Harvester salad bar is the next best thing, just without the film crew, aboriginal guide, and burning heat.
Granted there's probably a comparable amount of flies.

D

Deleted member 18477

Harvester is good value. Wouldnt think its strange for any age groups to be seen in there.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A bunch of us used to go to the Arkle Manor one outside Reigate when I was at 6th form college there. Had some good times there. And affordable to us with our Saturday jobs and birthday money. Not been to one for years. Had a burger and pint in the one near sealife centre before seeing Soulfly at Concord. Was perfectly reasonable.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Where's your sense of adventure.

You're never going grub eating with Ray Mears.
The Harvester salad bar is the next best thing, just without the film crew, aboriginal guide, and burning heat.
Granted there's probably a comparable amount of flies.

Lol! I like the idea of ray mears going 'urban survival' and visiting a harvester for one of his shows!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Accept the salad bar has lots of grubby kids that have used their hands and dropped snot and sneezes into because their chav parents haven't taught them any manners. The only thing I would eat at harvester is deep fried. Kills all bugs. Hygiene control is what puts me off harvester because cheap end of the market attracts waynetter slobs who have no manners and think its acceptable to use their hands and put things back!! Yuk! It might happen behind the kitchen doors in more upmarket places but I can't see it happening in front of me!!

I'm not a great fan of these communal services. As you say, you don't know who has been fingering the food before you, it's difficult to guesstimate how long the food has been sitting there and who knows whether the stuff at the bottom has been there since the beginning of time?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
KFC cobs are excellent.

No. No they are not. Buy fresh or tinned and do at home. If it were possible to do mass catering for sweet corn on the cob then there would be cob huts. But it isn't hence why scientists have split the atom and discovered the god particle first. So there.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm not a great fan of these communal services. As you say, you don't know who has been fingering the food before you, it's difficult to guesstimate how long the food has been sitting there and who knows whether the stuff at the bottom has been there since the beginning of time?

I have never favoured the Pizza place on North St, all you can eat pizza, pasta and salad. I saw something that put me off for life. You always get foreign students in there, cheap and familiar I suppose. Anyways, I was milling about for some reason or another outside. Unfortunately they have the buffet up by the window. I watched as a big fat European student inched along the buffet piling pizza, pasta and even salad onto her plate but she was kind of putting stuff straight into her mouth too, all the while her free hand was picking her nose and rolling a bogey around in her fingers which got flicked on the floor thank god, she was also really scratching her scalp too as she leaned over the food. rank. I've eaten in there before and the quality of food is shocking let alone adding bogeys and dandruff to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here