Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the obsession with the John Lewis Xmas advert?!

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
There's no garbage like commercial garbage - extract yourselves from that shit. Forget the (message), they're just trying to sell you shit and make themselves look all caring and good - they don't care...

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
The ad is ok but what I am really impressed by is their ability to deliver to the moon on Christmas Day. Beats Amazon Prime I reckon!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Most of it was filmed in Whitehawk/Manor Hill part of Brighton. The paper aeroplane scene was filmed opposite my Dad's house in Swanborough Drive. Nice to see John Lewis filming in a working class area but the interior of that house is much more West Drive than Whitehawk Road.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Does anyone know where the scene where he looks back through the telescope was filmed? It looks like Moulscoomb or Whitehawk but I couldn't work it out

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
John Lewis are trying to sell you stuff by any means necessary, so that the guy at the top can buy a new Ferrari. If you think the advert is "nice, awww" you're a prize prick and should go support palace instead.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
John Lewis are trying to sell you stuff by any means necessary, so that the guy at the top can buy a new Ferrari. If you think the advert is "nice, awww" you're a prize prick and should go support palace instead.

The John Lewis Partnership is employee owned, and look after the little people as well as any large company in the country.

Every employee is a Partner in the John Lewis Partnership, and has an opportunity to influence the business through branch forums, which discuss local issues at every store, and the divisional John Lewis and Waitrose Councils.[12] Above all these is the Partnership Council, to which the Partners elect at least 80 per cent of the 82 representatives, while the chairman appoints the remaining. The councils have the power to discuss ‘any matter whatsoever’, and are responsible for the non-commercial aspects of the business: the development of the social activities within the Partnership and its charitable actions.

The Partnership Council also elects five directors on the Partnership Board (which is responsible for the commercial activities), while the chairman appoints another five. The two remaining board members are the chairman and the deputy chairman.

Every non-management Partner also has an open channel for expressing his/her views to management and the Chairman.

The John Lewis Partnership publishes a weekly in-house magazine, called The Gazette. It is the oldest in-house magazine currently still being published in the UK. Each John Lewis branch also has its own weekly magazine, called The Chronicle. Partners can write anonymous letters to the Gazette and the Chronicles, holding management to account.

The John Lewis Partnership has a very extensive programme of social activities for its Partners, including two large country estates with parkland, playing fields and tennis courts; a golf club; a sailing club with five cruising yachts, and three country hotels offering holiday accommodation for the Partners. When Brownsea Island was to be sold by HM Treasury for £100,000 in 1962, The John Lewis Partnership joined with The Boy Scout Association and The Dorset Wildlife Trust to provide £25,000 each to The National Trust which bought it. The John Lewis Partnership runs Brownsea Castle as a holiday venue for employees.

Partners are also enrolled in a very favourable pension scheme, are covered by death-in-service insurance, and are given very generous holidays. In addition to this, upon completing 25 years of service for the company, Partners are given a paid six-month break, known as "Long Leave".

Finally, every Partner receives an annual bonus, which is a share of the profit. It is calculated as a percentage of salary, with the same percentage for everyone, from top management down to the shop floor and storage rooms. The bonus is dependent on the profitability of the Partnership each year, varying between 9% and 20% of the Partners' annual salaries since 2000.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its a weird world we live in when this BS get 25k thumps up on Youtube. I'm off to Lidl...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just been reading the John Lewis and Man in the moon tweets, mostly from women saying they cried watching the advert.
Thought I would watch the advert to see what it was about, nearly choked laughing :lolol:
The old boy gets a new telescope for Christmas and looks down at Earth from the moon, first thing he can see is Whitehawk :bowdown: Priceless.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
To be fair, those £100k+ execs are worth every penny. They have got Radio 5 talking about their ad, half a dozen people in an office crowding round to see it ASAP, you and me posting on a forum about it, hundreds of others reading about it etc etc. Multiply that by 10,000 and you might get some idea of how influential this marketing campaign will be.

Absolutely. What an absolutely fantastic campaign simply because of the organic traction it's generated. Just been to the shop and one of the red tops has dug some dirt about the girl in it father. Those £100k+ pa ad execs have absolutely earned every penny of that and then some.

If you want to see some sickening birds and some dreadful hipsters with awful facial hair watching it then have a look at this.

[yt]36znFSSlnxI[/yt]

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
What have they done to 'Half A World Away'? I didn't mind when they were using crap songs by Elton John and Keane, but I really liked that Oasis song.

Its been ruined now - Like a pear cider that's made from 100% pears.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
At least John Lewis is a family based company that actually looks after its staff very very well and all staff get a slice of the profits...You can't say that about many company's these days that's for sure.

I can't ever imagine criticising them as a company:clap2:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Did you just see the Aldi ad........?

Brilliant:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here