Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the Election polls were wrong ..

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch

A panel of experts has concluded this was due to Tory voters being under-represented in phone and online polls.

hqdefault.jpg

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Isn't it the job of the pollsters to ensure that the right 'mix' is achieved in the first place?

I might be over-simplifying this (or being thick and missing the point) but surely that they failed to achieve this isn't earth shattering news?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Isn't it the job of the pollsters to ensure that the right 'mix' is achieved in the first place?

I might be over-simplifying this (or being thick and missing the point) but surely that they failed to achieve this isn't earth shattering news?

One of the happier fallouts of the election, watching the pollsters squirm, back-peddle, retro-spin and basically try to justify their fees and indeed their very existence. :wave:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It would be interesting, but perhaps impossible, to know if the polls being published in the weeks prior to the election with a narrow Labour win looking likely actually had an effect one way or the other on the way people actually voted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The pollsters rang me but I refused saying I didn't discuss politics over the phone.

Has Paddy Ashdown eaten his hat yet?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

that's their idea. however, how can you achieve a mix if large groups of demographic dont want to participate in the questionnaires, by phone, online or in the street? basically we've learned that a lot of Tory voters are busy people.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It would be interesting, but perhaps impossible, to know if the polls being published in the weeks prior to the election with a narrow Labour win looking likely actually had an effect one way or the other on the way people actually voted.

I think the polls continually showing the very real possibility of a hung parliament with Labour as the biggest party propped up by the SNP may well have motivated Tory supporters and increased the Conservative vote.

According to Labour MP Ben Bradshaw (Daily politics) Labour's private polling did show they were always well behind during 2015. He also said add 3 points to the current Tory poll lead and - 3 from Labour's to better reflect public opinion.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
basically we've learned that a lot of Tory voters are busy people.

That's not the case though. Basically, the samples didn't have enough pensioners (who tend to vote Tory).

"YouGov, which pays a panel of thousands of online volunteers to complete surveys, admitted they did not have access to enough people in their seventies and older, who were more likely to vote Conservative."

It's more to do with these people being less likely to have computers and mobile phones and being more reluctant to answer phone polls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here