Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why so few tickets sold V Charlton?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Bringing match day ticket prices down more broadly will see that difference shrink and some season ticket holders deciding to pay match by match instead, particularly those that struggle with midweek fixtures.

The one guarantee is that if you go game by game you will attend fewer games.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The one guarantee is that if you go game by game you will attend fewer games.

Absolutely, yes, for a whole host of reasons. Season ticket holders are very precious. Let them go and it's very difficult to get them back. The current pricing structure makes renewing an attractive proposition for most.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Go to www.brightoncentre.co.uk and check the prices of the artists doing shows there, most well over the price for the Amex. Also the Ice Show in January ranges from £30 to £60 plus travel & parking.

Ha haaaa...you have got me on my high horse. Duran Duran tonight is £65 fecking rediculous. Also, wanted Adele tickets for the Mrs's birthday and hung in the phone for 2 hours and then found out they had all gone. I bet they appear in the ticketsheister site in the next few days as " get me in " at 5 times the face value.

Tickets are a fecking rip off

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The matchday prices are too high, its as simple as that. This is not an issue when you have 23,000 STH and 2,000 aways fans and 5,000 tickets to sell tops, but when you lose 3,000 STH and are left with around 10,000 tickets to shift per game it becomes a big problem.

Charlton being a category A game is also ridiculous, for the occasional fan they are not a big draw so to charge top whack seems pretty bad business.

Still on the upside I'd like to think that a strong uptake of Half Season Tickets (which conversely are tremendous value) will reduce the number of ticket the club have to sell in the second half of the season.

Bozza's point about season tickets is very valid, as the club has to keep the holders sweet, in everyone's interest. If the season ticket holders sense that it is better to pay on a day to day basis, then the club is in trouble. It is a real balancing act, though I can see that if you want to be in e.g ESU and are faced with a bill of £42.00, that does seem a lot., though other areas are cheaper.
As an aside, I turn 65 in January, have bought an oldie's half season ticket for £245, which gives me 11 matches at just over £22.00 a game. Cheaper prices started at £185.00, and of course you can stagger the interest-free payments, plus direct debit payees have an automatic right to their seat next year. . . Plus, now that the travel scheme has been widened out to include Eastbourne, I save a further £5.00 per match. Not all benefit like that, I appreciate and not all are over 65, but it does at least show that it is not all bad news by any means.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As a season ticket holder I don't care how cheap they sell match day tickets. Just want to see more people tempted to take up seats. I have a season ticket because 1) To sit with friends 2) Guaranteed seat for season 3) Chosen seat for season 4) Price

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As a season ticket holder I don't care how cheap they sell match day tickets. Just want to see more people tempted to take up seats. I have a season ticket because 1) To sit with friends 2) Guaranteed seat for season 3) Chosen seat for season 4) Price
That's fine for you as an individual but the club has to judge whether there would be a trade off as Bozzs rightly pointed out.

This has got me thinking about what, if it did happen and we was promoted.

No doubt, a few more wins and such a debate will be had.

But I'l kick off now with my proposals....

Season ticket prices to stay exactly the same. This is effectively a 20% increase.
Cat B and Cat C match day prices to stay the same
Cat A prices to increase so the cheapest tickets are £3 extra at £35.00.

Cat to to only include the games the glory hunters will want: Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, (Spurs?)

All other games to have their status assessed when they go on sale, based on time of match, perceived away attendance and how both teams are doing (promotion/relegation critical etc).

My proposal would significantly close the gap between the match day and ST prices, but we would of course see a massive uptake in ST due to the promotion.

STH's would also be able to take part in the 'exchange' should they not be able to attend for a credit against ST renewal.

Under 16 tickets allowed a free upgrade to an adult ticket for Cat B and Cat C evening games.

My proposal would mean a ST holder would effectively be buying every game at a CAT C price.

As a final sweetener for ST holders I would also have it include one home cup game or pre season friendly.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you gave it up to go match by match - do you think you would still go to the same number of games ?

(and if you don't go - does it get used by anyone else - give my regards to BAG by the way )

I certainly will..she is doing well thanks.

MKD was not as attractive as a lunch at the golf club after getting soaking wet in the morning. No- one took my ticket as I left it late...Birmingham I was in Edingburgh visiting my youngest and I offered by ticket to laura, but she didn't want the hassle of getting these etc which is well documented so she didn't go.

I think if we were not to go up next year, and I did chuck in the st, I would probably give up going entirely. I haven't really enjoyed it for a few years now and found other things that I prefer. Certainly when we were at withdean, I sat with loads of mates and it was a real social gathering and good fun. As we went to falmer, people ended up all over the ground and having my brother in law not renew and losing tony who sat next to me last year, although I have great mates sat behind, it is not the same. It's a shame but there you are.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Sorry to mention it as I know many on here love defending the OTT match day ticket prices, especially those who have a season ticket and never pay them, but- THE PRICES ARE TOO HIGH AND THEY PUT LOADS OF PEOPLE OFF!

Brighton alone is full of people who follow football and would be likely to turn up to the odd game for around £20. Most people, particularly those who aren't (yet) avid Albion fans don't want to pay £32 / £42 per game. It's factual and evidenced by these attendances.

I know many season ticket holders think the match day tickets are great value so no need to remind me. They're overpriced. The club loses a lot of revenue and the possibility of attracting new fans on a match by match basis.
This - I went to the Birmingham match because of the offer that was on (child and adult ticket for £15) but generally can't justify £30 or whatever out of the money available. To be fair to the club though (I think :) ), if I did have the cash available then I would pay it :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maybe more are released earlier, as I said in your Brum thread the manner in which seats are released defies logic

I doubt Charlton will be bringing too many

Pissing down

Seaford Xmas Fayre :moo:

You turncoat, you were a fellow RH13 fan until recently! I take on board what you say, but don't think, with all due regards to Seaford, that their Xmas fayre will stop too many Albion fans from attending.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You turncoat, you were a fellow RH13 fan until recently! I take on board what you say, but don't think, with all due regards to Seaford, that their Xmas fayre will stop too many Albion fans from attending.

I crossed over to the dark side ... a function of age!

You've obviously never been to the Seaford Xmas Fayre .... as Seaford goes there isn't anything bigger ... latest estimate is for crowds in excess of 43!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I crossed over to the dark side ... a function of age!

You've obviously never been to the Seaford Xmas Fayre .... as Seaford goes there isn't anything bigger ... latest estimate is for crowds in excess of 43!

You mean you have to be middle aged to attend?

PG

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The problem with offers and cheaper match day prices is they erode the perceived value of the season ticket and I'm sure the club are keen to hang on to as many ST holders as they can.

The differential between the prorated match price if buying a season ticket and buying individual tickets is pretty significant. When buying a season ticket you probably expect to get 3-4 games 'free' but we get a lot more than that.

My WSU season ticket is £550. Assuming an equal spread of category A, B and C games over the season and taking the category B match day price of £34 as a guide, you'd only get to 16 matches, purchasing game by game, before you'd spent over £550. So season ticket holders are getting 7 games for 'free' by making their commitment.

Bringing match day ticket prices down more broadly will see that difference shrink and some season ticket holders deciding to pay match by match instead, particularly those that struggle with midweek fixtures.

True and we've said it before. However, why not abandon categories and sell match-by-match at a fixed (small) percentage above ST in the same stand / area. Maybe then add in the odd family deal (especially for bank holiday games) and do the bring a mate for a tenner deals on evening games only?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here