Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why sit back and defend a one nil lead?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Like a few have already stated, Lallana was our best player, and I was surprised to see him come off.
I alluded to GP's lack of the usual back-patting "well done son" guff that every Manager tends towards, on another thread.

I'm prepared to admit beforehand that I may have read it wrong, but I thought it was a bit of 'politicing' by GP, just to show who's in charge.

Won't do the lad any harm, it's Albion doing him the favour here, his CL medal is yesterday's news.

It’s been communicated far and wide that Lallana’s having to be managed quite carefully due to his lack of game time over such a long period......subbing him was simply part of that IMO. Shame we need to as he’s looking very good, but would rather have him for the rest of the season than risk crocking him by playing him too much too soon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am truly shocked at the number of genuine replies. That Brighton Albion, eh? When will they ever learn? They have such gullable* fans.

*Gedditt?? I am on a roll today. Possible Swiss.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think some of the responses were a bit rude and unfair to the OP

That could just as easily been a young lad between the aged of 10 and 14 Who was brought up as a Brighton Fan by an Expat Father or mother. It wasn't very polite to round in on whoever it was just because people disagree with him. - This is a really Welcoming Forum on the whole but that wasn't welcoming at all.

I don't agree with it either but it is rude to simply just attack someone who may just be starting out on his journey as a Brighton fan.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Regardless of the OP's affiliation, I think he has a point. From the moment we took the lead we surrendered the initiative. Of course that is partly due to WBA upping their game, but it did look like a deliberate tactic by us. Whether that came from the manager or from the players' nervousness, I'm not sure.
Lallana clearly went off at 60 mins as a pre-planned thing, but without him we seemed to lack drive and leadership.
It looked like the pressure to get a win affected us a lot.

Sure him coming off was pre planned. However that was time for Potter to show leadership and change his mind. He was having such an influence on game where result was so important. Sure it was computer or medical people said off at 60mins. Whatever was pre planned I think many leading managers would have kept him on
He only looked knackered because he had just made a great long run. Something our other midfielders dont do

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m critical of Monday night’s second half performance including from Potter.

But have an entirely different take on it.

I felt that in the last 30 minutes we pushed too many bodies forward, allowing the LOSING team to pick off our under maned defence on the counter.

GP is tactically innovative and flexible. My preference would’ve been for us to not push up en masse and to pick WBA off on the counter. Wolves and CP do it every game all game, I wish we’d done that in the second half.

The warning signs were there as WBA started to create openings, isolated Albion players beaten.

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Up to now I would not have suggested this was Potter's tactic... but it was Hughton's and it has been for many of our previous managers up to Poyet.... the thing that upset me was I thought we were past this. And saying we should look at what WBA did is just excuse-making. Potter is supposed to be a canny manager. If Bilic makes a change I expect Potter to, not just go defensive, which he clearly did.

So judorichard is laying it on a bit thick because one match doesn't define Potter.... but he DID get it horribly wrong at a time when we could have done with a win and this does damage him.... not fatally but I don't want to see that again... not if we want to be a different team from the one under Hughton.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I’m critical of Monday night’s second half performance including from Potter.

But have an entirely different take on it.

I felt that in the last 30 minutes we pushed too many bodies forward, allowing the LOSING team to pick off our under maned defence on the counter.

GP is tactically innovative and flexible. My preference would’ve been for us to not push up en masse and to pick WBA off on the counter. Wolves and CP do it every game all game, I wish we’d done that in the second half.

The warning signs were there as WBA started to create openings, isolated Albion players beaten.

It's a myth that he's "tactically innovative and flexible". His changes rarely work. We win a game every 6, he's not getting very much right.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's a myth that he's "tactically innovative and flexible". His changes rarely work. We win a game every 6, he's not getting very much right.

he did get the only thing that matters right. 41 points and another season in the premier league.
This eluded quite a few other managers last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here