Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why sacking doesn't succeed

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
We have had 11 managers I believe. They have got it wrong.

McGhee
Booker
Coppell
Hinshelwood
Taylor
Adams
Wood
Horton
Gritt
Lloyd
Case

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Whatever you may think of him, one thing Mark has given our club is loyalty. He came with a reputation for walking away from other clubs but has not done so here despite all the pressure he has had to work under. Perhaps not a direct comparison, but how many times have Crewe been relegated since Dario Gradi took over? He has been in charge since before I went to secondary school, which was some time ago. Crewe were a joke club in those days, but never once has there been any suggestion that he would be sacked. He has had to work under similar pressures, although clearly not as bad as the Albion's in the past few years.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
fatboy said:
We have had 11 managers I believe. They have got it wrong.

McGhee
Booker
Coppell
Hinshelwood
Taylor
Adams
Wood
Horton
Gritt
Lloyd
Case

booker was only caretaker manager

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Whatever you may think of him, one thing Mark has given our club is loyalty. He came with a reputation for walking away from other clubs but has not done so here despite all the pressure he has had to work under. Perhaps not a direct comparison, but how many times have Crewe been relegated since Dario Gradi took over? He has been in charge since before I went to secondary school, which was some time ago. Crewe were a joke club in those days, but never once has there been any suggestion that he would be sacked. He has had to work under similar pressures, although clearly not as bad as the Albion's in the past few years.

I would agree but then it could be levelled at the board of Crewe that loyalty has superseeded ambition which they show a distinct lack of.

We need a little of both from the board on this particular issue and as such I say stick with MM at the moment and although I think that it will be a disaster if we go down make any changes at the end of the season to ensure our return.

West Hoathly Seagull said:
Crewe were a joke club in those days, but never once has there been any suggestion that he would be sacked.

Not true. There was plenty of talk of him getting the chop last season, and I believe on the official Crewe website at the moment there is a poll asking fans whether he should be sacked or not.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
This was in the Grauniad yesterday as well. What it ignored (at least in our case - Brighton was in the top 10 of clubs fro managerial changes) was that 4 of our 10/11 managers - Horton, Adams, Taylor and Coppell weren't sacked, they left of their own accord. In each case primarily because of the ground problem.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
Perhaps I should show this to my bosses as me and my line manager are on the verge of getting it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
tell watford that. They were in freefall until boothroyd kept them up.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
You can dowlnload the full report from Warwick Business School. They do distinguish between sackings and resignations.

Peter Taylor's brief time with us puts him in 6th place with a win ratio of 55%

Mickey Adams on the other hand makes 17th on the most improvement list (taking us up 36 places)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Screaming J said:
This was in the Grauniad yesterday as well. What it ignored (at least in our case - Brighton was in the top 10 of clubs fro managerial changes) was that 4 of our 10/11 managers - Horton, Adams, Taylor and Coppell weren't sacked, they left of their own accord. In each case primarily because of the ground problem.
No, in each case they left because they were successful here and got a better job offer (or in Taylor's case thought he'd get one). The ground was a problem when they came and they used it as an excuse when they left. The real reason for going was money and/or ambition

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Screaming J said:

I know my memory's hazy about the events in the dark days, but didn't Brady resign too? I thought that he couldn't work with the Evil Duo.

It's a good survey though: it shows what some continuity will do for a club. Manure stuck with Taggart and he did the business and Gradi has worked wonders with Crewe - they were near the bottom of the old 4th when he took over and look at them now. And that's not taking into account the players he has developed in that time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here