Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why not Martinez ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Blimey.

Why not Martinez?

Well, his two options (before even considering us) are:
1 - Stay with Wigan who will be VERY VERY well equipped to "bounce" straight back up.
2 - Join a prem club.

It has absolutely nothing to do with if WE want him or not.

You may well be right and they may bounce back, but if they don't get back up in the next couple of years it could be desperate. Whelan can't keep throwing money at them, and they don't have the infrastructure to keep trying. With FPP it's a critical couple of years for Wigan, because without the premiership money i can see them plummeting.

(He'll probably get the Everton job in the next few hours now!)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've seen Di Matteo at the AMEX. I have a funny feeling it will be him or Hughes.

Di Matteo yes, Hughes no. Bloom is astute, there is absolutely no chance of him being drawn in by the likes of Hughes.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I don't really understand the attraction of Martinez. Haven't Wigan just been relegated? It's no good playing pretty football at the expense of of results (eh Gus?)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't really understand the attraction of Martinez. Haven't Wigan just been relegated? It's no good playing pretty football at the expense of of results (eh Gus?)

Gets his team to play bright and attractive football. And he managed against the odds to keep Wigan up for ages. Was it seven years? That's a real achievement for a club that is genuinely a minnow. Oh and he won the fa cup.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I'd be surprised if Martinez moves this year as I see him being more principled than that. Having won the cup, in Europe next year, some loyalty and a degree of responsibility for Wigan going down, I think and hope he stays there.

He seems like a Wiganite through & through as he played for them as well. I don't think he'll walk out on them.

And their first 3 matches seem like a nice set of games to test yourself ???

Europa League Qualifier
Championship match
Community Shield!

Not a bad start to the season :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just as a point of interest, Wigan's odds on promotion next season - according to SkyBet - are 4-1 (Jt 6th). Ours are 7/2 (Jt 3rd)

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
why+not+zoidberg.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here