Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why it's vitally important that we do not denounce Barber

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Given that the amount I'm paying to take four family/friends to the game on Sunday will be north of £200 the experience will have to be absolutely fantastic for me to think it's good value. Never mind, I'm an old supporter, a fully marinated long term fan. But let's see what Paul Barber's strategy is for bringing in brand new customers next season to replace the existing supporters his policies mean he is danger of losing - and then judge.

Given what we are currently losing it's not a sustainable business, so his job is to make it sustainable. He may make unpopular decisions according to some, but TB no doubt backs them completely.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We can be a small unsuccessful provincial club which is what most of history has been or we can try and step it up a bit as one of the new cities in the UK. barber is part of the burden we have to bear in Blooms attempt to do the latter. I am in the camp of trying to do this properly, even if occasionally i yearn for the good old simple days.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Barber's main objective is to maximise our revenue streams. He has to make unpopular decisions.
Can you think of any other ways to maximise the income into our club to make it profitable and therefore, competitive and sustainable. If so, could you let us know please.
Keep loving. I'll reserve judgement regarding his worth without comparison to the previous awful results. In terms of unpopular decisions I'm struggling to think of any that have maximised revenue. Clappers, arrogance, pompous programme notes and price increases against diminishing sales don't necessarily equate to revenue increases.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Barber's main objective is to maximise our revenue streams. He has to make unpopular decisions.
Can you think of any other ways to maximise the income into our club to make it profitable and therefore, competitive and sustainable. If so, could you let us know please.

And as i said, two of the main streams are down.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Albion's average crowd this season (or tickets sold) is 25,321 (yesterday it was 27,186). Last season it was 27,110 and 12/13 it was 26,024.
So despite our dreadful form, and less ST holders, ticket sales are holding up pretty well and fairly consistent with the last 2 seasons. Away tickets are similarly selling well. Our last 3 London games
have sold out. And of course Arsenal will sell out. As for queues for beer then if someone can tell me where i can get a pint at half time without missing 5 minutes of "action" then let me know.

Despite that i'm sure we'll have lots more endless threads, like this one, on here predicting that everyone's a JCL, Albion fans are the most fickle of fickle football fans, have never seen the likes of a pint on sale anywhere in Brighton for more than four quid and recoil at the very thought, and the crowds will be under 10K next season in L1 thanks to Paul Barber and his shenanigans, before this frustrating season is out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spot on. Really don't understand the love in that people have with Barber. Obviously some get little tit bits to keep them sweet but others just must love to believe I guess. If he pulls it out of the bag and delivers continued improved commercial performance then I guess we can assess against the negative stuff. If he does demonstrate his commercial prowess then I'll just have to swallow his 'way' as the price of success. He's not there yet though

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given what we are currently losing it's not a sustainable business, so his job is to make it sustainable. He may make unpopular decisions according to some, but TB no doubt backs them completely.

He fully backed Burke and the rest of the recruitment team not so long ago.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Keep loving. I'll reserve judgement regarding his worth without comparison to the previous awful results. In terms of unpopular decisions I'm struggling to think of any that have maximised revenue. Clappers, arrogance, pompous programme notes and price increases against diminishing sales don't necessarily equate to revenue increases.

This as well.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

I know what you are saying about revenue streams but they are only a part of the whole picture. We are clearly not being very competitive as a club, (18 teams in this division are currently more competitive), and by constantly fleecing the fans for money it winds us up the wrong way.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Rather be a league 2 club that gives a shit about its fans than a soulless corporate premier league one. Fans not customers.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
have never seen the likes of a pint on sale anywhere in Brighton for more than four quid and recoil at the very thought
A pint at The Amex is expensive in relation to what I get for it compared to a pub. A floppy plastic glass with nowhere to sit down, or even to put the the pint down, all in a drafty concrete hanger...The fact that the football is on is irrelevant to the equation as that is handsomely charged for separately.

What is worse is that pints at The Amex only last on average for about two minutes as you have to wolf them down in the time available after queuing...

At £4.20 I will buy about 35 pints this year. Revenue £147 and me feeling squeezed and a bit ripped off.

At £3.90 I know I would buy at least a few more, maybe 40... Revenue £156 and me feeling not so squeezed or ripped off.

Doesn't seem too tricky?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
A pint at The Amex is expensive in relation to what I get for it compared to a pub. A floppy plastic glass with nowhere to sit down, or even to put the the pint down, all in a drafty concrete hanger...The fact that the football is on is irrelevant to the equation as that is handsomely charged for separately.

What is worse is that pints at The Amex only last on average for about two minutes as you have to wolf them down in the time available after queuing...

At £4.20 I will buy about 35 pints this year. Revenue £147 and me feeling squeezed and a bit ripped off.

At £3.90 I know I would buy at least a few more, maybe 40... Revenue £156 and me feeling not so squeezed or ripped off.

Doesn't seem too tricky?

Seems simple, but the cost we pay for a pint is not 100% profit. A portion of the price is VAT for starters, and I'm assuming that Harvey's don't give their beer to BHA for free!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Seems simple, but the cost we pay for a pint is not 100% profit. A portion of the price is VAT for starters, and I'm assuming that Harvey's don't give their beer to BHA for free!
Agreed, too late at night! I'd guess my example wouldn't be far off profit neutral though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A pint at The Amex is expensive in relation to what I get for it compared to a pub.

Well I pay less than £3.90 for mine when i buy it at about 2.15pm cos i get 10% off with my ST and if you go to every game then i assume you've got one too...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Rather be a league 2 club that gives a shit about its fans than a soulless corporate premier league one. Fans not customers.

This. A million times this!

I've never got over his "customer" nonsense. If he truly understood football he wouldn't keep coming out with that crap...and his "Premier League Ready" and "One club, one ambition" rubbish. The man is a walking soundbite, spewing corporate jargon by the e-mail. And how dumb did he look coming out and supporting the Burke only a week or so before the Burke was sacked.

Slowly but surely he is ripping the heart out of our club. He is charging top money for a totally crap product and in time it will drive the fans away (if it hasn't started to already).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here