Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why isn't the FA Cup final at the end of the season?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The FA Cup was always on ITV. What difference does it make?

Before sky it used to be on both channels but Itvs coverage was always shit, you asked anyone what side did you watch the final on 90% of people used to say BBC
Since sky came along at times they have shared it with BBC but at the moment itv have got the contract with Espn ( not many have Espn ) so are unable to watch the games and in my opinion both channels are crap at football coverage so that's what difference it makes

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Before sky it used to be on both channels but Itvs coverage was always shit, you asked anyone what side did you watch the final on 90% of people used to say BBC
Since sky came along at times they have shared it with BBC but at the moment itv have got the contract with Espn ( not many have Espn ) so are unable to watch the games and in my opinion both channels are crap at football coverage so that's what difference it makes

Apart from the adverts, BBC and ITV used to use the same match coverage so it really just came down to preference on commentators and guests. Back in the days of Brian Moore, I'd say the split of viewers was a lot closer than you suggest and, going way back, ITV pioneered the pundits' panel with the likes of Brian Clough and Jack Charlton on board, who were great viewing. So I don't think it was always "shit" by any means.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Realise it's probably been like this for a few seasons now, but Wigan have two Premier League fixtures still to come after the final. Seems unfair on them to have this massive game in the middle of their fight against relegation. Why do the FA keep messing around with it - surely it should be held after all the league games have finished, (would certainly make it more 'special'?). Anyone know what the justification is for moving it?

I gather it's also a K/O time of 5:15 even though there's no 3:00 premiership kick offs that day. Money talks - it's all about the TV revenue, travelling fans do not count.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Apart from the adverts, BBC and ITV used to use the same match coverage so it really just came down to preference on commentators and guests. Back in the days of Brian Moore, I'd say the split of viewers was a lot closer than you suggest and, going way back, ITV pioneered the pundits' panel with the likes of Brian Clough and Jack Charlton on board, who were great viewing. So I don't think it was always "shit" by any means.

Indeed. And the build up to the match used to start at 11am or something on both channels, so you would hop between them to see the best bits from each. There used to be Cup Final editions of Question of Sport and On the Ball etc. It was great (if you liked that sort of thing!)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Realise it's probably been like this for a few seasons now, but Wigan have two Premier League fixtures still to come after the final. Seems unfair on them to have this massive game in the middle of their fight against relegation. Why do the FA keep messing around with it - surely it should be held after all the league games have finished, (would certainly make it more 'special'?). Anyone know what the justification is for moving it?

stage one in the The Premier league's and Sky TV's attempt at world domination?

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Indeed. And the build up to the match used to start at 11am or something on both channels, so you would hop between them to see the best bits from each. There used to be Cup Final editions of Question of Sport and On the Ball etc. It was great (if you liked that sort of thing!)

Cup Final day used to be the Football highlight of the year, as you say the coverage started at 11ish and was full of inane stuff but as we didn't have wall to wall football coverage in those days, I thought it was great.

The decline seems to have coincided with the creation of the Premier League.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
CUP

CUB

SUB

SUE

SEE

SEA

SKA

SKY.

The reason why in eight moves,changing one letter at a time.It can probably be done quicker,but hardly quicker than the changes made to the sporting icon that is (was) the FA Cup.

Tinpot Man.

Apr 14, 2013
Patcham.
Not only is it wrong that the final is before the end of the season.. but its crap to see teams/managers not taking the F.A Cup as serious as it once was. Seeing teams like Wigan in the final is nice too see as it shows the .spirit in the cup' in as many ways.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Cup Final day used to be the Football highlight of the year, as you say the coverage started at 11ish and was full of inane stuff but as we didn't have wall to wall football coverage in those days, I thought it was great.

The decline seems to have coincided with the creation of the Premier League.

Oh absolutely. Cup Final day you would actually see behind the scenes at the clubs, get to see the players relaxing etc. Now, we know all about it when Rooney etc fart, so it is not a novelty anymore.

Luckily we only get SSN on here every 6 hours. I rarely watch it as the amount of rubbish they put on there masquerading as news is amazing. Something important may have happened, like a lower league club about to go out of business for example, but they lead with some inane quote from Fergie or Mancini about something inconsequential. Sky have a lot to answer for. But money talks and we will gladly accept theirs when we are promoted!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here