Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Yup! Last three years at least, Jetstream goes north pushing the lows across England instead of to the north of Scotland. As a sailor I watch these patterns, in a rough rule of thumb sort of way. There doesn't seem to be anything excessive in the wind strengths, just a lot less occasions when the Highs come and sit on top of the country for a few weeks at a time.
Maybe it's because I am just getting old and sail a dinghy now instead of big boats.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
There may be a sound meteorological explanation. It will involve jet streams/prevailing westerlies and the like.
On the other hand, it is just as likely to be a filthy Continental plot, isn't it?
Image06.jpg

Goat lung

Jan 27, 2013
The north easterly s we have had for the last week or so are due to high pressure over the uk and a low over Europe (hence all the rain in Germany) this causes the isobars to squeeze together giving us strong n/e winds , there is nothing uncommon about these winds and are normal during settled spells in the summer , just a sod if you want to go fishing in a small boat !!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Paul Barber.

I am sure @papa_lazarou can offer a more scientific answer.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Is it not a fact living on an island surrounded by sea means more wind than for example Poland ?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I agree with US, it seems to have been blowing a hooly most of this year and perhaps it is indeed to do with the Jetstream

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I can count the calm days in the last year on one hand.

have you got some freakishly large digited hand? theres dozens of calm days. wind is caused by the weather, more specicially the movement of air from high presure area to low pressure. if you have a high sitting over you you'll get no wind. if you have a low the same, but usually they are smaller so you get caught in the airflows around. as we sit on the edge of the atlantic with a sea the otherside and the cold arctic to the north, we see alot of weather. the jet stream pushes the arctic/mediterrean weather systems to the south/north respectivly, that could make it calmer as much as more windy depending on the rest of the weather. as someone said, ees complicated.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Our country is to small to generate its own weather/ wind patterns. We live at a geographical crossroad with winds generated by other systems hitting us from Siberia, Atlantic, Africa.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yup! Last three years at least, Jetstream goes north pushing the lows across England instead of to the north of Scotland. As a sailor I watch these patterns, in a rough rule of thumb sort of way. There doesn't seem to be anything excessive in the wind strengths, just a lot less occasions when the Highs come and sit on top of the country for a few weeks at a time.
Maybe it's because I am just getting old and sail a dinghy now instead of big boats.

Hippy seaman!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here