Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why is there a circle around the centre spot on a football pitch?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The legacy lines are the ones around the corner flags. I will never understand why that rule needed changing? I don't know about other teams, but we certainly haven't gained any advantage messing about lining the ball up so that it only just touches the outside of the line.

Bonehead

Sep 6, 2023
The legacy lines are the ones around the corner flags. I will never understand why that rule needed changing? I don't know about other teams, but we certainly haven't gained any advantage messing about lining the ball up so that it only just touches the outside of the line.
But why does the player taking the kick off stand in the wrong half?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The circle round the centre spot marks the area into which opponents cannot encroach until the ball is kicked at kick off.

The semi circle by the penalty area marks the area in which nobody can encroach when a penalty kick is taken (except of course the penalty taker).
Why aren't there quadrants marked at each corner flag rather than just a dash mark on each dead ball line?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If I took a run-up like that to take a penalty, I'd collapse with exhaustion when I'd reached the penalty area.
You would reach the penalty area? You fit bastard :ohmy:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But why does the player taking the kick off stand in the wrong half?
Until this season, he wasn't allowed to - up until this season the ball had to be kicked forward. The rules have been changed. It happened, like the pass-back rule about twenty years ago (please note 'about' - maybe it was 10 years ago, maybe it was 30 - I don't care, so don't waste your time telling me!)

Honestly, I can understand people being confused about the (current) off side rule, or the latest version of the hand-ball rule - but FFS! - the markings on the pitch?

:facepalm:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not marking ten yards there isn't - just a dash in the dead ball line
Yes there are quadrants at each corner flag, whether you like it or not. The ten yards rule applies to all free kicks, including corners. It's up to the ref - with his magic spray if needed - to enforce it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Until this season, he wasn't allowed to - up until this season the ball had to be kicked forward.
Until this season, he wasn't allowed to - up until this season the ball had to be kicked forward.

Are you mad the law changed in 2016

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yes there are quadrants at each corner flag, whether you like it or not. The ten yards rule applies to all free kicks, including corners. It's up to the ref - with his magic spray if needed - to enforce it.

I think he's asking why there isn't a line marking 10 yards from the corner arc.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think he's asking why there isn't a line marking 10 yards from the corner arc.
Simple you're not taking the corner from the corner flag.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The point he is making is that there is a centre circle with a 10yrd radius so it is clear that an opponent can't enter till the ball is kicked and that the 'd' on the edge of the box marks 10yrds from the penalty spot so an opponent can't be within the 'd' and therefore why don't they have a 10yrd quadrant painted at each corner to ensure a defender doesn't encroach. My guess is that may be because not all pitches have 10yrds between the touchline and edge of the penalty area, eg park football pitches. That said, I'm guessing over the years pitches for major competitions have to have certain minimum dimensions.

That said, they could quite easily put the quadrants in but if it ain't broke etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here