Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is Oatway getting a new contract?

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
Today's Argus says Oatway has been offered a new contract and strongly implies he would otherwise have been out of contract.

I thought he still had 1 year left on the misplaced-loyalty deal that Dick Knight gave him during the summer-with-no-manager. If that is wrong and his contract is now up, we should release him now as he is nowhere near good enough for "the Championship" and has often struggled in a lower division. :angry:

Awaits flaming as "Charlie is good in the dressing room", "great for morale" etc. I want players who are good on the pitch.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
be handy to bring on when/if new midfielders get injured or suspended. Would'nt want him in the starting 11 though

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Excellent man marker which is very useful in this division. Did very well against Merson at Home.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Albion Dan said:
He can do a job as a squad player but should be nowhere near the starting 11.
I agree, we need some creativity in midfield... If you don't score goals you don't win matches... 46 0-0's won't keep us up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oatway was clearly an important player for us last season. He also has Division One (CCC) experience. Therefore, there is a good case for giving him a contract.

My hope is that McGhee will tailor his role from automatic first choice starting midfielder (where he will be found out) to negator of the opposition's danger man against the better teams, and bench man to bring on against the weaker teams if we need to close out a result.

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
He's utter crap, however, every player has a purpose; Oatway could do a good job serving the tea and cutting up the oranges at half-time.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Safeway said:
He'll get murdered in Division One (again).

Exactly, coupled with the fact that he must be getting near if not the other side of 30. I think he has a year left, but whatever division we are in, there is no way we should be offering him a new deal. We should be telling him if anyone comes in for him he is free to go ala Brooker at Leicester and then this would free up money for a proper player.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, and that Cullip's a bit of a ****, and that Knight is a wanker, Carpenter he's a **** as well...

:(

:shootself

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Personally think having him with the squad is good. He is the ideal person to bring on if we are 1-0 up away from home with 20mins left...He can sit in front of the back 4 to give protection.

It has also been said that the Mickey Adams' squad, which this still very much is forged an incredible team spirit and togetherness and Charlie is very much an important part of that...That is just the way it is.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Lisbon-Worthing BHA

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
We should be telling him if anyone comes in for him he is free to go ala Brooker at Leicester and then this would free up money for a proper player.
Or David Lee.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Why is Charlie getting a new contract?

Because he has played a pivotal role in the club's most successful ever era (in terms of promotion & silverware). That's why.

No, I don't think he should be starting next season, but nor do I think it madness to give him a new contract.

Most of the time this board is full of people demanding loyalty from players. I see that this only works one way.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
six_yard_punisha said:
Why is Charlie getting a new contract?

Because he has played a pivotal role in the club's most successful ever era (in terms of promotion & silverware). That's why.

No, I don't think he should be starting next season, but nor do I think it madness to give him a new contract.

Most of the time this board is full of people demanding loyalty from players. I see that this only works one way.

Yeah but when they are decent players that is fine. Carpenter spent most of last season carrying Oatway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here