Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Why is Harveys so inconsistent??

I try Harvey's when in Sussex but I just don't like it.
Which of their beers is superb, I will look out for it and try it next time which will be the Easter weekend in and around Heathfield if know of any pubs that stock it.

Tom Payne is without doubt one of the best you'll ever taste. Only available in bottles though.

I buy it direct from Harvey's.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The Draught Old was very nice and there was enough left for my halftime drink. The bottled is much weaker and a lot thicker. Not really a fan of the best so delighted they reintroduced a bottled selection albeit minus Tom Paine. Very poor show that the Harveys lounge only had best for quite a while.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Harveys Bitter IS VERY GOOD however it does need looking after...Whilst the Amex has been improving their keeping/serving it is rare to get a good pint there.The Brewers Arms and the Lewes Arms , are two Lewes Pubs that serve a magnificent pint of Harveys.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Smugglers in Alfriston serves a pretty good Harveys too:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Plus the John Harvey next to the Brewery.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have had a marvellous day today for a number of reasons and I'm not going to spoil it by even thinking of Harvey's.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I understand if you don't drink ale, you wouldn't like Harvey's. If you drink ale and Harvey's occasionally and say you've never had a good pint, then I feel you must have been dead unlucky. A good pint of Harvey’s is amazing, although like any ale if it’s bad it can be awful. That can be for a whole range of reasons, but I normally find it’s due to the venue not looking after it.
When I used to work in my local when a barrel went and we put the new barrel on, we would immediately prep the next barrel and have it ready to go. Invariably it would have at least 24 hours plus to settle before it got put on. We never put barrels on that hadn’t settled. Unfortunately nowadays I know that this doesn’t happen in my local, they’ve had spells of putting a barrel straight on and you get the equivalent of a pint of clay. Like I say it all depends on how it’s looked after.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Need to choose my words carefully here as I know fatwas can be issued in Sussex if you're critical of Harveys but why the hell is it so inconsistent?? Pre-match yesterday, our group of 3 ale-heads left a Harveys pub in Lewes after one very ordinary/kinda rubbish pint (their 'IPA' tastes EXACTLY the same as Harveys Best btw...) 'cos we really couldn't face drinking any more of it but then once we got in the Amex (surprisingly!) I had a lovely fresh pint (nice creamy head etc) that lived up to the 'Sussex nectar' legend that Harveys enthusiasts so fervently believe in... on a rough estimate, from my experience, I'd say only about 1 pint in 20 of Harveys ever tastes as fine as the good one did... please explain, fellow ale enthusiast Albion brethren...

Harveys shouldn't have a creamy head I don't think.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
By the way, has the Nelson revamp and extension finished yet? Not been into town for a while.

Apparently it was closed on Saturday. Source: some blokes in the Battle. They had a sign up saying they were applying for their licence. Which means the current licence holder has failed to renew their licence, or had it taken away. Or possibly, but extremely unlikely, the extension has altered what they do in that pub so much that their licence as it is right now, is inappropriate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apparently it was closed on Saturday. Source: some blokes in the Battle. They had a sign up saying they were applying for their licence. Which means the current licence holder has failed to renew their licence, or had it taken away. Or possibly, but extremely unlikely, the extension has altered what they do in that pub so much that their licence as it is right now, is inappropriate.

I was in there a few weeks back for the first time in years. It looked shabby from the outside and a dump inside. Shame as it was once a nice pub.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was in there a few weeks back for the first time in years. It looked shabby from the outside and a dump inside. Shame as it was once a nice pub.

Odd comment, it's really had a lot of work done lately and looks the best I've known it! But at the same time I always thought the shabbiness was part of it's charm.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Half of it is going to be a restaurant, I believe, so this may be the case.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Hey, I try my best but sometimes fall short.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Half of it is going to be a restaurant, I believe, so this may be the case.

That is not normally a big enough change for a full licence reapplication. They would have to be talking about live music as well, or considerably later opening hours. Something like that. Anyway all this theorising is based on something some blokes said in a pub, so perhaps it is best to leave it here for now. I may pop past there on the way to work later to see exactly whet the sign on the door says.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this isn't a Harvey's thing, many other beers can be inconsistent, even lagers.

Im not surprised many dont like Harvey's its a peculiar one, very flowery. those look for others from the Harvey's stable should try the Tom Paine (mentioned already, and available draft at some point in the year) and the Armada, which for my money is one of the nicest ales from a bottle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here