Why is Falmer going to take so long?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
Can anyone explain why it will take sooooo long to even get started on the build on our stadium once we are given permission?? It is so frustrating that as fans even when we finally do get persmission it is gonna take an age to build the stadium - WHY???

Look at stadiums like St Mary's and how quickly they were built, what is the problem?

Quote insider
We have appointed financial advisors to assist us with the assembly of the funding as soon as planning permission is granted. We cannot make any meaningful progress on this until we have the planning permission in our hands and the Challenge period has expired. But there are a number of activities that will have to run in parallel with this before we can start on site.

We will have to appoint a main contractor - through a competitive tender process, serve notices on all the existing tenants and demolish the University buildings as soon as they have been vacated. Even if we get planning permission in June or July of this year the earliest start date on site is not likely to be until April/May 2008.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Um, think Insider has answered your question for you!

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
Er.. no he hasn't - permission June, no work staring until May the following year..... want me to do the maths for you??

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
dylan_bha said:
Er.. no he hasn't - permission June, no work staring until May the following year.....

Try reading the sentence before that one in Insider's reply, y'know that stuff about appointing contractors and knocking down buildings :shootself

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
dylan_bha said:
Er.. no he hasn't - permission June, no work staring until May the following year..... want me to do the maths for you??

Errrrr yes he has.

We will have to appoint a main contractor - through a competitive tender process, serve notices on all the existing tenants and demolish the University buildings as soon as they have been vacated.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Competitive tender processes can be relatively long and drawn out affairs. They are designed to help select the best contractor available. There are many issues to deal with before selecting the contractor - It is not as simple as picking the cheapest one. There are all sorts of details to consider.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As long as they are not Australian

**new wembley**

Oli

Feb 27, 2007
Barrel of Fun said:
Competitive tender processes can be relatively long and drawn out affairs. They are designed to help select the best contractor available. There are many issues to deal with before selecting the contractor - It is not as simple as picking the cheapest one. There are all sorts of details to consider.

Well I for one am fed up with long and drawn out affairs.

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
Maybe I've read it wrong, not sure....

Serve notice, what will that be 6 months? At the same time invite tenders for contract and work could start at the beginning of 2008? Sorry but to me it just seems like an overly long period, especially when we have been guarunteed the money is there waiting on hold.

My mate did a lot of work for St Mary's and once he'd won his contract was told how important it was to deliver his components quickly - he eventually had a workforce working 24/7...

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
Barrel of Fun said:

Have a look at the banner over by the northstand where the players run out and I think you'll find the answer to this one....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Caveman said:
Probably not wrong.

If that is the Adenstar one, surely they are no where near big enough for a £50 million contract

Timescale....

Assuming some delays for badgers, abseiling lesbians etc

May 2008 all agreed and contractors set on
18 months to build the ground - with delays = Jan 2010
Therefore presumably, we are looking to start the season 2010/2011 in Falmer

Where is Uncle Spielberg and his bookies number because they are tight timesclales for the ground to be completed before the 2012 Olympics?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME

Field of Dreams (1989)
User Rating: 7.6/10 (27,413 votes)
Directed by
Phil Alden Robinson

(Cast overview, first billed only)

Kevin Costner ... Ray Kinsella

Amy Madigan ... Annie Kinsella

Gaby Hoffmann ... Karin Kinsella

Ray Liotta ... Shoeless Joe Jackson

Timothy Busfield ... Mark

James Earl Jones ... Terence "Terry" Mann

Burt Lancaster ... Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham
Frank Whaley ... Archie Graham
Dwier Brown ... John Kinsella
James Andelin ... Feed Store Farmer
Mary Anne Kean ... Feed Store Lady
Fern Persons ... Annie's Mother
Kelly Coffield ... Dee, Mark's Wife

Michael Milhoan ... Buck Weaver (3B)
Steve Eastin ... Eddie Cicotte (P)
more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awards:Nominated for 3 Oscars. Another 5 wins & 8 nominations more
Filming Locations:Boston, Massachusetts, USA more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Rob from United Kingdom

Films don't get better than field of Dreams. When you got back to the late eighties and early nineties you will find that Kevin Costner was the biggest actor to employ at that time as he starred in lots of major films like Dances with wolves which of course he directed, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, A Perfect World, JFK and Field of Dremas which I think delivers his best performance of all those films.

Costner is Ray who one day takes a walk into his corn field only to hear a voice saying 'If you build it, he will come'. This sends him crazy as it's all he can hear. He thinks on to what the voice maybe wants him to do and let's his feeling be known to his family and the only idea he can come up with is that he should build a baseball pitch in the middle of his field. He does with the backing of his family and nothing comes of it till one night somebody in a 1920's baseball kit turns up on his field out of the blue ready to play Baseball. This happens to be the great Shoeless Joe Jackson who is now dead but has come back to play the game he was once banned from playing. The story unfolds to more odd goings on and sends Ray onto a journey of self discovery with some beautiful moments ahead. Field of dreams is not a film that gets mentioned when it comes to Costner's career but I think it holds his best and most touching performance. Anybody who likes a feel good film like It's a Wonderful Life will ultimately fall in love with this film by the end as the more it goes on the more you find out why Ray was guided to build the pitch and follow the voice which he throughout the film makes no sense of what it he is looking for.

It touches you in all the places and just makes you feel good about yourself and sends an important message out about spending as much time your family as much as you possibly can til it's to late.

Trust me, you cannot go wrong with this film.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Dave the Gaffer said:
Assuming some delays for badgers

Honey Badgers?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Is the funding of the project actually in place ?

That would be my main concern, cant see many financial institutions lining up to lend us money for a stadium that 'may' be half empty most of the time, no this money is coming privately, so I hope we are banging on the right doors !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports