Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nothing annoys me more than these uneducated moron ‘pundits’ making statements about players they have literally no clue about so they just assume because a player doesn’t play for one of the top teams that they aren’t ball players, it’s insanely close minded.

Prime example of it was Phill Babb and Stuart Pearce on that sky sports debate thing claiming the reason Tomori is in is because he’s better with the ball, stronger and faster. How about ability to defend? These guys who are paid to comment should do research before commenting on players. Utter nonsense.

Don’t get me wrong Tomori looks like he’s a good young player but how he’s getting in the squad after 7/8 games for Chelsea ahead of players like Dunk and Tarkowski? Because he plays for Chelsea that’s why.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Just heard on talkSPORT a chief football writer after dunk came up state well like tarkowski he isn’t in a team that’s used to playing out from the back!
I agree about the stupidity of some so called experts, but England's problem isn't a lack of defenders playing out, it's a lack of defenders defending.

TB

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Observer Headline , ‘ Southgate PondersBack Three’
Quote...........
“Southgate does not feel he has the personnel in his squad to play that way and it is why he did not do so against the Czechs. John Stones is missing because of injury while Joe Gomez has been out of the Liverpool team and both Tyrone Mings and Fiyako Tomori lack international experience. Kyle Walker is out of favour.

“We are in a difficult situation in terms of the players that have played international football with us in that area of the pitch and who are playing regularly with their clubs,” Southgate said. “So that’s part of the reason we didn’t do that [play a back three] against the Czechs. It’s certainly something we’ve considered and I don’t think we can dismiss. I’m not sure, ahead of Monday, if that’s the right thing to do but we’re very aware and assessing those things.”.
"................

Look No further than Brighton, Mr S......

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Observer Headline , ‘ Southgate PondersBack Three’
Quote...........
“Southgate does not feel he has the personnel in his squad to play that way and it is why he did not do so against the Czechs. John Stones is missing because of injury while Joe Gomez has been out of the Liverpool team and both Tyrone Mings and Fiyako Tomori lack international experience. Kyle Walker is out of favour.

“We are in a difficult situation in terms of the players that have played international football with us in that area of the pitch and who are playing regularly with their clubs,” Southgate said. “So that’s part of the reason we didn’t do that [play a back three] against the Czechs. It’s certainly something we’ve considered and I don’t think we can dismiss. I’m not sure, ahead of Monday, if that’s the right thing to do but we’re very aware and assessing those things.”.
"................

Look No further than Brighton, Mr S......

You tw@t Southgate. You picked the squad you absolute ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Cracks are starting to show in the Southgate regime IMO, last summers World Cup brought the country together in support of the team and the semi finals would seem like a successful tournament, but if you actually look at our record deeper we have a dreadful record against the nations just above or equal too us and we lost in the first game against a team similar to ours and uslity wise, the same thing that has held us back for the last 20 years.

I find it strange actually because if you look at other countries they have no issue selecting players from lesser teams if they are performing, yet England are still making the same mistakes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mings makes his debut tonight with Maguire.

Obviously I wish them all the best, but....:facepalm:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

. Webster should be on Southgate’s England radar
His Premier League career may only be six matches and 540 minutes old but the early evidence is that there is another Brighton defender worth Gareth Southgate keeping an eye on in the form of Adam Webster. It is almost a year since the Brighton skipper Lewis Dunk was capped by his country but, on current form, one of his colleagues could usurp him in the England stakes. Signed for £25m from Bristol City this summer, Webster is comfortable in possession, adept at playing out from the back (so much so he has also operated in defensive midfield) and happy to waltz forward and kick-start attacks – staples of Southgate’s mantra. That Tyrone Mings was called up to the England squad in September suggests Southgate is open to looking at defensive alternatives, with Michael Keane and John Stones not covering themselves in glory in recent outings. Webster, who scored his first Brighton goal at Aston Villa last weekend, has impressed in blue-and-white stripes and it may not be long before the clamour for the 24-year-old to appear in an England shirt builds.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not impressed the only metric that counts:-

'Not good enough'

BG 7 days ago.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

. Webster should be on Southgate’s England radar
His Premier League career may only be six matches and 540 minutes old but the early evidence is that there is another Brighton defender worth Gareth Southgate keeping an eye on in the form of Adam Webster. It is almost a year since the Brighton skipper Lewis Dunk was capped by his country but, on current form, one of his colleagues could usurp him in the England stakes. Signed for £25m from Bristol City this summer, Webster is comfortable in possession, adept at playing out from the back (so much so he has also operated in defensive midfield) and happy to waltz forward and kick-start attacks – staples of Southgate’s mantra. That Tyrone Mings was called up to the England squad in September suggests Southgate is open to looking at defensive alternatives, with Michael Keane and John Stones not covering themselves in glory in recent outings. Webster, who scored his first Brighton goal at Aston Villa last weekend, has impressed in blue-and-white stripes and it may not be long before the clamour for the 24-year-old to appear in an England shirt builds.

Completely agree. He's a revelation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
All three of our English central defenders have a shout for England duty in my opinion.

Totally agree, before the last squad was named a site (cant remember which, football whispers or 365 most probably) listed how the squad should look based on current form and Dan Burn was in that squad.

I wouldn't swap any of Dunk, Webster and Burn for the likes of Mings, Keane and Tarkowski.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here