Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Harry Kane is a sad sight these days. Reminds me of Rooney’s last few international games and matches for United - but in fairness Rooney was in his early 30’s, not 26!

And as said above, Southgate showing his limitations now. As we’ve all said, Michael Keane proving he should be nowhere near the team and how is Rose in ahead of Chilwell?! No Spurs player should be in the side at the moment really, they’re all completey lost. And no TAA?! Bizarre. I’m yet to be convinced by Rice at this level too.

Shocking performance tonight.

Kane totally overrated and at the moment can only score penalties...
Needs dropping

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You’ve declared that Keane & Mings are better players than Dunk. Would you stick with them in the team/squad after yesterday’s shitshow?
He's declared Mawson and the fella from Reading are "on a par" with Dunk.

Begging the question - why ask? :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Much as I love Dunky, to be honest I am not TOTALLY sure that he is England class.

What I am sure about, though, is that he deserves more of a chance than he has been given. Tomori and Mings getting in ahead of him on the basis of a couple of good weeks in the Prem is a joke. Nothing against Tomori, he could be class, but he really hasn't had to work too hard for the elevation. Tarkowski, Mee, Coady all have claims. At one time I thought it might be Lascelles, but Newcastle got sh!te at the wrong time for him.

Of the current incumbents, while I know Maguire is going to be in the squad he's no Rio Ferdinand. Gomes could be good. Keane should be ditched, unlike Dunk he has had more than enough chances and clearly isn't up to it.

Dunk has worked hard at his game and really improved. Remember that season/spell when he got booked virtually every time he tackled anyone in the Championship? It's a big shame he wasn't in this squad.
Wow what an insult to Dunk.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
No creativity in midfield and poor at the back.
Don’t understand how TAA is not playing, especially in a side as creatively lacking as this one. At least there would be an outside possibility of him actually creating a chance from RB. He seems to have jumped on the Rice and Mount band wagons in a flash. He’s reverted to 2 CM which pass sideways in Henderson and rice. Mount just drifted left throughout the game leaving them 2 exposed.
Keane is a liability at CB has been for a while now. Rose same at LB and TAA is the best RB about in my opinion. Southgate needs a rethink.
If I was him I’d play 3 at the back which actually worked slightly better at the World Cup. Get TAA and Chilwell on at wing backs and if you must play Rice and Henderson then at least you can play with a more fluid front 3/5 with the 2 wingbacks as there is no real hope in them 2 joining in much. Personally I’d play Barkley there

I’d play Pickford

Gomez maguire Tomori.

TAA Henderson Barkley chillwell

Sterling Kane Sancho

In reality Dunk is good enough to play. I know some of those with wisdom on this board think otherwise but a defender who can defend and can actually pass more than 10 yards especially when your trying to play from the back he is perfect. Sterling and Sancho would love a player who can turn the opposition with a decent pass through the midfield straight in behind the defenders for them to run on to.
#virgilvandunk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No creativity in midfield and poor at the back.
Don’t understand how TAA is not playing, especially in a side as creatively lacking as this one. At least there would be an outside possibility of him actually creating a chance from RB. He seems to have jumped on the Rice and Mount band wagons in a flash. He’s reverted to 2 CM which pass sideways in Henderson and rice. Mount just drifted left throughout the game leaving them 2 exposed.
Keane is a liability at CB has been for a while now. Rose same at LB and TAA is the best RB about in my opinion. Southgate needs a rethink.
If I was him I’d play 3 at the back which actually worked slightly better at the World Cup. Get TAA and Chilwell on at wing backs and if you must play Rice and Henderson then at least you can play with a more fluid front 3/5 with the 2 wingbacks as there is no real hope in them 2 joining in much. Personally I’d play Barkley there

I’d play Pickford

Gomez maguire Tomori.

TAA Henderson Barkley chillwell

Sterling Kane Sancho

In reality Dunk is good enough to play. I know some of those with wisdom on this board think otherwise but a defender who can defend and can actually pass more than 10 yards especially when your trying to play from the back he is perfect. Sterling and Sancho would love a player who can turn the opposition with a decent pass through the midfield straight in behind the defenders for them to run on to.
#virgilvandunk
If only #VirgilvanDunk could do that.

aaaa.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Premier League defensive stats

Passing -

8th Dunk
26th Keane

Blocks -

Keane 6
Dunk 4

Interceptions -

10th Dunk
33rd Keane

Tackles -

Dunk 11
Keane 9

Clearances -

Same 31

Headed clearances -

Keane 20
Dunk 15

Aerial battles won - (big win for Keane)

Keane 40
Dunk 14

But

Aerial battles LOST

Dunk 11
Keane 36

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The midfield and defence were very poor - defence have been very poor for a long while. He has to change it and soon and Dunk is an obvious option.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Every England manager comes into the job making all the right noises about playing based on form blah blah blah and then a year into the job they are still pursuing with the ‘names’ and failing.

It’s one of the reasons England will never succeed as you need players on form who actually look like playing for your country means something

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That was pathetic last night, Southgate was found out again. If the world cup semi final was 'Waistcoat Wednesday' then that was 'F**kwit Friday.'

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Every England manager comes into the job making all the right noises about playing based on form blah blah blah and then a year into the job they are still pursuing with the ‘names’ and failing.

It’s one of the reasons England will never succeed as you need players on form who actually look like playing for your country means something

Yep, sadly I agree with you -it just does not seem important to them at times. Yes, there might be exceptional situations gaining momentum, such as the 2018 World Cup run, but last night showed again a lack of real passion. I know it is easy to glibly make this accusation, but just occasionally the smokescreen is dropped and someone from the professional game admits that players try to get out of England duty. Perhaps with all the dosh involved with the PL, international duty just doesn't seem worthwhile. That game against NL at the end of last season was just diabolical.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Back to the nineties with those tactics, out numbered again in midfield, square passing from the CB's who can't pass forward; dare i say it, it was like watching a CH match!

The sad thing is Duffy (if he was English) would do better in that team then Dunk!

At least in the 90’s we had Gazza. So often England’s MOTM, a rarity of an English centre midfielder who could run games, instinctively creative, brilliant on the ball, heads-up football always playing forward, with a burst of pace to break forward himself.

Just now we have loads of workers.

With Southgate making the incredible blunder of pushing wide-men into CM.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can’t remember who an ex player couldn’t see why Rice was so highly rated and got slammed for it, I agree he’s shite.

The media and WHUFC have talked Rice up this season, as a £80m to £100m player, quite possibly ready to sign for ManUre next summer. In watching live his performances against the Albion he’s a decent PL defensive midfielder, holding their play together, reasonable in keeping things simple in his passing, but that’s all. A young Mark Noble. In no way did he stand out as world class or potentially world class. Perhaps that might come in time, who knows?

Another classic case of PL overhype.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just heard on talkSPORT a chief football writer after dunk came up state well like tarkowski he isn’t in a team that’s used to playing out from the back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Just heard on talkSPORT a chief football writer after dunk came up state well like tarkowski he isn’t in a team that’s used to playing out from the back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilarious, yet sadly completely unsurprising.

Add them to the long list of pundits who know squat all about clubs beyond the top 6.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here