Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You’re right, he does love a penalty.

I don’t think he’s finished or anything yet but he looks absolutely shattered and absolutely miles away from the level he was at 2/3 year ago. The comparison to Rooney is more that he’s holding the rest of the team back. We’ve got some exciting, pacey in form players who should be starting ahead of him now IMO.

I think there’s an argument for not including any Spurs or Man Utd player currently.

At least Eric Dire was no where near this first 11. Clearly overweight and slow at The Amex, he could only barge into opponents.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
England have finally lost a qualifying game. The world is ending.

Strewth.

Decent 'wake up call'.

With respect that's a huge over simplification.

We're the ultimate flat track bullies. Able to score at will against teams that shouldn't even be in international competition but seriously lacking against half decent opposition. You'd hope with our infrastructure and ethos we'd beat Croatia nine times out of ten in a competitive match yet we lost a winnable semifinal to them. Basic mistakes cost us against a Holland team that is a shadow of its predecessors in the summer. Now we've lost away to a side we battered at Wembley thanks to playing the wrong players in the wrong formation at the wrong time. Southgate is the Emperor’s New Clothes.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Back to the nineties with those tactics, out numbered again in midfield, square passing from the CB's who can't pass forward; dare i say it, it was like watching a CH match!

The sad thing is Duffy (if he was English) would do better in that team then Dunk!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

We're the ultimate flat track bullies. Able to score at will against teams that shouldn't even be in international competition but seriously lacking against half decent opposition. You'd hope with our infrastructure and ethos we'd beat Croatia nine times out of ten in a competitive match yet we lost a winnable semifinal to them. Basic mistakes cost us against a Holland team that is a shadow of its predecessors in the summer. Now we've lost away to a side we battered at Wembley thanks to playing the wrong players in the wrong formation at the wrong time. Southgate is the Emperor’s New Clothes.

This! Posted similar on Facebook, Southgate is over hyped, in the World Cup we lost three games and two in the new Nations Cup (or whatever it's called) and tonight outplayed in every department. The back four were woeful and the two holding midfielders offered nothing.
Half decent opponents and England look average, slow on the ball and so easy to defend against, at the end of the game we played like a non league team just punting the ball long. Poor, poor, poor.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Oh, quite.

If folk thought overcoming the mighty Tunisia, Panama, Sweden and Columbia (on penalties) was a display of world beating quality, then they were mistaken.

As the Spitting Image song said in 1984.. 'We'll smash all opposition... until we meet a team that's good

Southgate is fine. The players like him, which is half the battle as an international manager.

It's the price we pay for a league as international as ours. The secret is to enjoy the ride.. until we meet a team that's good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

Because, luckily for us, he can't defend like an England player. :lol:

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Dunk is better than Keane, Gomez, Mings, Tomori (ha ha). Imagine Tarkowski is also wondering what he did wrong.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dunk is better than Keane, Gomez, Mings, Tomori (ha ha). Imagine Tarkowski is also wondering what he did wrong.

If Tomori was currently better than Dunk then I'd have expected us to have picked up on that, tried to get Chelsea to sell Tomori to us and then sold Dunk for a huge wedge of cash. He's clearly not better than Dunk at this moment. He's been picked on potential.

However, selection based on potential is a huge waste at international level, unless you use the player. I could just about accept having Tomori in the squad if he starts against Bulgaria.

He's not going to learn anything watching Keane and Rose who must be two of the most pathetic international defenders on the planet, pound for pound.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Much as I love Dunky, to be honest I am not TOTALLY sure that he is England class.

What I am sure about, though, is that he deserves more of a chance than he has been given. Tomori and Mings getting in ahead of him on the basis of a couple of good weeks in the Prem is a joke. Nothing against Tomori, he could be class, but he really hasn't had to work too hard for the elevation. Tarkowski, Mee, Coady all have claims. At one time I thought it might be Lascelles, but Newcastle got sh!te at the wrong time for him.

Of the current incumbents, while I know Maguire is going to be in the squad he's no Rio Ferdinand. Gomes could be good. Keane should be ditched, unlike Dunk he has had more than enough chances and clearly isn't up to it.

Dunk has worked hard at his game and really improved. Remember that season/spell when he got booked virtually every time he tackled anyone in the Championship? It's a big shame he wasn't in this squad.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Fear not , Stones is almost fit .

This isn't rocket science, if Dunk played for one of the so called top six he'd be playing for England, it's just the way it works at England HQ , and probably always will , I'm selfish and rather he just kept doing what he does so brilliantly for us .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Irrational selections by Southgate this autumn. When he got the job, he said every position was up for grabs, based on merit. No square pegs in round holes.

Keane and Rose have been awful for ages, even their own club’s fans say so. Everton and Spurs both leaking goals for fun.

GS started with a plethora of naturally wide playing midfielders - Sancho, Sterling and Mount, giving us absolutely nothing in ACM. Those three don’t control matches, it’s not their game whatsoever.

Picking any Everton or Spuds players tonight was madness (apart from Pickford - keepers are weird).

That game was shite. If the Albion had been that team, I'd have been paging Big Sam.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At least Eric Dire was no where near this first 11. Clearly overweight and slow at The Amex, he could only barge into opponents.

Tonight he was spending more time with his family (size box of turkey twizzlers and a black forest gateau or five).

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Southgate is showing his true class now, juggling players with no real idea what he is doing. The picking of the trio of Chelsea players after a handful of games is embarrassing.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Best ranked team he beat at the WC was Tunisia.

Got ruined by Netherlands. Could have been 6/7.

Picks players who are playing terrible (maguire, keane, mainly).

Picks rice who makes 50-60 errors a season.

Just hope we lose a couple more to get rid of the clown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Southgate's methods rely on the environment he builds around the team as much as they do on the coaching and strategy, which comes from his awareness the team don't have the quality of some of those they come up against. I don't think he's deluded about how good the team is(n't). I say this from a position of zero authority but having come across his approach and the people he brings in to deliver it through my work, some of which overlaps about as tenuously as it's possible to overlap. Barely a shadow of overlapped-ness but enough to get an insight into what he does, who with, and why it (sometimes) works.

Give him a prolonged period of time with a team, like a tournament, and he'll have a lot more impact than during an international break and if he's still here for the Euros I think he could make the team greater than the sum of its parts. In the meantime though last night was abysmal and if nothing else I'm sure Dunk would have been in the ear of the other defenders and sorting them out, something that seemed lacking from anyone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here