Why have the white British left London ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Something quite remarkable happened in London in the first decade of the new millennium. The number of white British people in the capital fell by 620,000 - equivalent to the entire population of Glasgow moving out.

The consequence, as revealed by the latest census, is that white Brits are now in a minority in London, making up just 45% of its residents.

So where have they gone to - and why did they leave?

I've been analysing and mapping the census data, and what emerges is a much more positive story than some headlines would make you think.

The movement of the white British is often characterised as white flight - the indigenous population forced out of their neighbourhoods by foreign migrants. That may be part of the story, but I think the evidence suggests it is also about working class aspiration and economic success

Full story

BBC News - Why have the white British left London?

To take advantage of - and subsequently inflate to near-London stupid levels - Brighton property prices?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Topical, a dear couple of mine are leaving London (Wandsworth) as they want a nicer atmosphere for their young daughter. @bushy would describe it as 'Leafy London', but they want to avoid all the London shit.

I left London, after three years, as I found it to be an unfriendly hellhole (and that was from living in a very upmarket Barnes). Horrible place.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To be completely honest.

I moved to Camden in 1996 only because of the amazing Rockabilly, Psychobilly scene with gigs going on nearly everynight of the week, It was always my intention to move back to Brighton.

I got married and we bought a one bedroom flat in camden and lived there happily for 7 years together.

We unexpectedly fell pregnant and we discussed the various pros and cons of bringing up a child.

1: we lived in a one bedroom flat could we afford a two bedroom flat with a garden. (london does have green spaces, but they are not your own)
2: Work - The wife works for Camden Council and has a well paid position / I am a trades person with a skill I can take anywhere health permitting.
3: Schools

I my very well get a roasting here for what I am about to say, but do you know what I dont care.

We came to the conclusion we could not afford to move to a bigger house or flat so we had to stay where we were, our catchment area was such that my daughter (we knew the sex) would be one of a handful in a predominatly black or asian area or to be even worse pikey white familys from council estates. Anyone who knows the estates of Camden and Summers Town will know what I am saying, gang fights, open drug selling and even murders take place.

It was a no brainer, we put the flat on the market which sold double quick and got a four bedroom house with a garden and exchanged before she was born, and moved back to Brighton when she was 3months old.

As I said I dont feel bad for saying the above, because until you have to make that choice and live where we lived and saw what I saw on a daily basis you can not judge me. I have witnessed racism from every race in London, I have worked in every races house I have seen Jewish people be rasist towards blacks, I have seen Asians be rasist towards blacks and visa versa, I have seen west indians be rasist towards africans and africans be rasist towards africans. None of it is right, and I did not want my daughter to be brought up in the enviroment with the threat of gangs, drugs in inner city London & I love my daughter and I think I have made the right choice, No I know I have made the right choice.

Are these problems caused by all these different ethnic groups living together or is it caused by other factors like overcrowding, poverty and unemployment? I am not suggesting you are, but I think that it is lazy to blame multiculturalism for the problems you describe here. As someone said earlier most people don't give a shit where their neighbours are from or what colour they are as long as they are not anti social wankers.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
To be completely honest.

I moved to Camden in 1996 only because of the amazing Rockabilly, Psychobilly scene with gigs going on nearly everynight of the week, It was always my intention to move back to Brighton.

I got married and we bought a one bedroom flat in camden and lived there happily for 7 years together.

We unexpectedly fell pregnant and we discussed the various pros and cons of bringing up a child.

1: we lived in a one bedroom flat could we afford a two bedroom flat with a garden. (london does have green spaces, but they are not your own)
2: Work - The wife works for Camden Council and has a well paid position / I am a trades person with a skill I can take anywhere health permitting.
3: Schools

I my very well get a roasting here for what I am about to say, but do you know what I dont care.

We came to the conclusion we could not afford to move to a bigger house or flat so we had to stay where we were, our catchment area was such that my daughter (we knew the sex) would be one of a handful in a predominatly black or asian area or to be even worse pikey white familys from council estates. Anyone who knows the estates of Camden and Summers Town will know what I am saying, gang fights, open drug selling and even murders take place.

It was a no brainer, we put the flat on the market which sold double quick and got a four bedroom house with a garden and exchanged before she was born, and moved back to Brighton when she was 3months old.

As I said I dont feel bad for saying the above, because until you have to make that choice and live where we lived and saw what I saw on a daily basis you can not judge me. I have witnessed racism from every race in London, I have worked in every races house I have seen Jewish people be rasist towards blacks, I have seen Asians be rasist towards blacks and visa versa, I have seen west indians be rasist towards africans and africans be rasist towards africans. None of it is right, and I did not want my daughter to be brought up in the enviroment with the threat of gangs, drugs in inner city London & I love my daughter and I think I have made the right choice, No I know I have made the right choice.

Good post, and oh, good luck to you.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Think I have experienced London best. Was born and bred in Brighton, so London being an hour away was easy to access.
Therefore, went for shopping, theatre, football matches, culture, all nights out in clubs etc., then returned to the relatively more peaceful Brighton when I had my fill of London.
Just right.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Are these problems caused by all these different ethnic groups living together or is it caused by other factors like overcrowding, poverty and unemployment? I am not suggesting you are, but I think that it is lazy to blame multiculturalism for the problems you describe here. As someone said earlier most people don't give a shit where their neighbours are from or what colour they are as long as they are not anti social wankers.

don't agree with this

I'm the only englishman in the village and try very hard to fit in,as a result my neighbours are friendly

if my street was full of english people i don't think i'd get the same friendliness

honestly i think french people would prefer non anti social french people as opposed to non anti social english people as neighbours

if someone wants to live amongst a load of foreigners that's fine

but there's nothing wrong with people that don't

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Lived in London for 25 years, love it - best city in the world. One of the best things about it these days is the fact that the moronic, bigoted white people who don't like the influx of ethnic minorities have moved out.

Camicus

My mums family are all London (she was born and brought up on Trott street Battersea) and all of her side of the family no longer live in London . Its not about immigration or white flight for them its because when they had kids they didnt want to bring them up in London so moved out. Londons population has always been transient and always will be in another 50 years it will be as different again

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
A story of aspiration, my arse. The reasons are obvious. Immigrants are attracted to areas where their fellow countrymen have settled. They feel comfortable amongst their own, with shared experiences and common language.
As their numbers grow, so the balance in local schools change and children from indigenous families start to feel ostracized and parents resentful of the shift in emphasis within the schools. The ' white British ' normally comfortable in mixed race communities, feel the balance moving too far one way and start to feel outnumbered and under pressure. They start to have different religions rammed down their throats with mosques and temples springing up everywhere and all they see is a massive pressure and diminution of local services.
If they can afford to relocate, they do. They vote with their feet.
Nailed it.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Lived in London for 25 years, love it - best city in the world. One of the best things about it these days is the fact that the moronic, bigoted white people who don't like the influx of ethnic minorities have moved out.

Love it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I disagree about Mark Easton. A good jouno IMO. Worked on LBC, and has lived and worked in london for 30 odd years.

I think he pretty much knows what he's talking about.

You mean a guy that's a trained research journalist, does this pretty much every waking hour and has spent most of his life in London might know a bit more than Bushy, The Spanish and their handful of pub bore mates?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is where the famous self loathing comes from. He jumps every time he looks in the mirror or say 'good morning' to someone.

You're going to have to expand on this, I'm not sure I know what you're on about.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Put it this way, my friends all say they are fed up with all the foreigners now and they are either black or mixed race themselves so that should tell you all you need to know.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My mums family are all London (she was born and brought up on Trott street Battersea) and all of her side of the family no longer live in London . Its not about immigration or white flight for them its because when they had kids they didnt want to bring them up in London so moved out. Londons population has always been transient and always will be in another 50 years it will be as different again
Thats the point, no it hasnt , certain parts of the east are/were , but most of the rest of london had a very settled population.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports