Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why fewer bums on seats at PL games?

Why are there fewer people in grounds?

• Covid Concerns

Votes: 104 63.0%
  • Covid Restrictions

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Price

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • Out of the habit

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I had been a ST holder for about 8 years at the Amex and just started to get worn down by the club making (in my opinion) EVERYTHING more difficult hence I didn't renew......no caps on bottles, no large bags, the feeling in my opinion of getting ripped off for drinks and food (yes I don't have to buy them), making me move away from my family stand seats into the corner so they can make more money. It's all about money, and the salaries for footballers that are not in touch with the real world. We seem to have lost an identify and for me, chasing that premier league dream was the best bit for me. Being in the premier league if of course great, but am I going to shell out 50 quid a ticket - which by the time you have a couple of peole, food and drinks you are approaching 200 quid......

It may be "the club" but, to be fair, most PL grounds are the same or worse. Southampton, on Saturday, were taking tops off bottles that were being carried, charged £5 for weak-as-piss Kingfisher and had similar bag restrictions. Man U have had bag restrictions for a very long time. Much of what many of the old school fans complain about is the Premier League and at least some of it (bottle top) as a result of idiot behaviour.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I had been a ST holder for about 8 years at the Amex and just started to get worn down by the club making (in my opinion) EVERYTHING more difficult hence I didn't renew......no caps on bottles, no large bags, the feeling in my opinion of getting ripped off for drinks and food (yes I don't have to buy them), making me move away from my family stand seats into the corner so they can make more money. It's all about money, and the salaries for footballers that are not in touch with the real world. We seem to have lost an identify and for me, chasing that premier league dream was the best bit for me. Being in the premier league if of course great, but am I going to shell out 50 quid a ticket - which by the time you have a couple of peole, food and drinks you are approaching 200 quid......

Club would do very well to take full note of this post IMHO and start to take STH far less for granted

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very interesting. Have you one for Brighton attendances over the years

Post war:

1C563822-03AF-471A-B6AB-6063462A3069.png

The entire thing’s here:
http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bha.htm

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Club would do very well to take full note of this post IMHO and start to take STH far less for granted
I agree. It may seem like small and petty things, but we were cold at the last match and bought our party of 3 two cups of tea. Previously before the flask ban that would have been free (apart from my costs) but it cost us £12. In my opinion that's a rip off.

These small things all add up and make the day less enjoyable and crucially give the impression that the club has taken a slightly unkind stance with it's fans.

I sincerely believe that the club is fantastic and in many ways demonstrates outstanding practise. The football side of things has improved immensely under Potter and I am very grateful for that.

However the pain incurred in getting to and from the matches for those of us who aren't very close to Brighton, and the degradation of the matchday experience through petty regulation is weighing against that. Along with COVID, these measures are causing a lot of people to consider their position with season ticket renewal I am sure, and it would be great if the club would backtrack on some of it's more trivial policies.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Seriously thinking of giving up season ticket next year. Not able to share, cost, ever changing KO times, Games on TV

Forgot to add with the Qatar WC fiasco, likely 6 week prem shutdown to include warm up friendlies, there will be many more evening games next season...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree. It may seem like small and petty things, but we were cold at the last match and bought our party of 3 two cups of tea. Previously before the flask ban that would have been free (apart from my costs) but it cost us £12. In my opinion that's a rip off.

At West Ham (A) a cup of tea was incredibly £3. At Haywards Heath station on the way to Southampton (A) a cup of tea from the cafe was £2.50.
The price of tea, given its just hot water etc, is over priced everywhere in cafes, cinemas, and shops but i think £2 for a cup of tea at the Albion is hardly a "rip off" (unless you think it should be free i guess).

It was £2.20 anyway in 2017 and Barber reduced it when the flask ban came in.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

These small things all add up and make the day less enjoyable and crucially give the impression that the club has taken a slightly unkind stance with it's fans.

I sincerely believe that the club is fantastic and in many ways demonstrates outstanding practise. The football side of things has improved immensely under Potter and I am very grateful for that.

However the pain incurred in getting to and from the matches for those of us who aren't very close to Brighton, and the degradation of the matchday experience through petty regulation is weighing against that. Along with COVID, these measures are causing a lot of people to consider their position with season ticket renewal I am sure, and it would be great if the club would backtrack on some of it's more trivial policies.

Somehow somewhere along the way, supporting the Albion became a bit od a chore. Covid doesn't fully account for that state of affairs sadly

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
At West Ham (A) a cup of tea was incredibly £3. At Haywards Heath station on the way to Southampton (A) a cup of tea from the cafe was £2.50.
The price of tea, given its just hot water etc, is over priced everywhere in cafes, cinemas, and shops but i think £2 for a cup of tea at the Albion is hardly a "rip off" (unless you think it should be free i guess).

It was £2.20 anyway in 2017 and Barber reduced it when the flask ban came in.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931
Well unsurprisingly you are missing the point.

£2 is a decent price for a cuppa these days no doubt. But I'll take my flask and have a free cuppa as I had for over 40 years over a £12 charge.

That money may make the difference for some people, maybe not you and me but it is an extra cost and therefore a degradation of previous years conditions.

You know and I know, that there is no genuinely good reason to ban flasks.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I think a lot of people have certain apps or firesticks which allow you to watch any game from the sofa in your front room.
So why lash out on a ticket and travel in the first place.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It may be "the club" but, to be fair, most PL grounds are the same or worse. Southampton, on Saturday, were taking tops off bottles that were being carried, charged £5 for weak-as-piss Kingfisher and had similar bag restrictions. Man U have had bag restrictions for a very long time. Much of what many of the old school fans complain about is the Premier League and at least some of it (bottle top) as a result of idiot behaviour.

Afraid this is the truth. It applies everywhere, look at the prices of theatre tickets, concert tickets, programmes at both etc etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the PL, if we’re being honest, it’s only us, Burnley and Southampton that have glaring gaps. Carrow Road, Villa, Anfield, United, Spurs, Chelsea etc. all packed to the rafters, and as much as I despise Leeds that packed ground was still almost full well into stoppage time yesterday. We have a combination of access/transport issues, plus fair weather fans, casual fans the likes of which Leeds do not have. Additionally the big six can always fill their ground with added tourist fans.

That is interesting. Why are Carrow Road and Elland Road rammed, why do their supporters generally last the course of games? Win, lose or draw.

Contrast to the Amex.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Seriously thinking of giving up season ticket next year. Not able to share, cost, ever changing KO times, Games on TV

I would love to get to this point! I came away from the Leeds game having endured four poorly run train journeys, queues for just about everything, a pretty poor performance on the pitch, sat next to two Leeds fans who the stewards considered smiling at to be enough rather than removing them and thinking there is absolutely no enjoyment in this whatsoever. I wouldn't miss it if I gave it up, I just can't seem to be able to do it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
£2 is a decent price for a cuppa these days no doubt.

Agreed.

As for whether banning flasks is justified or not then multiple stadiums (not just football) and venues now ban them - they argue - for security reasons, certainly not just Brighton, and have done for years.
In fact the ban at Brighton must be getting on for 4 seasons now.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sad to see so many consistently empty seats, even several vacant rows. However, I have some sympathy and agree there are a number of factors at play:

- Covid concerns, not just at The Amex but especially on public transport. A very real consideration for those who travel some distance. Train is our preferred mode but the combination of covid (during a 350 mile / 6 hour round trip) and general unreliability of trains now unfortunately makes car travel our first choice.

- Even taking the car is fraught with risk - M25, Insulation protests etc

- Changes to KO times are becoming a pain, particularly where this snookers pubic transport options.

- Therefore the Boxing Day KO time seems a complete piss-take

- Parking issues for some STHs with mobility issues in our group who lost their traditional spaces at the Uni. Now partly resolved but a real issue earlier this season

- The ticket sharing policy & additional fee

- Ticket exchange process

- escalating fuel costs

- catering not always value for money

These are issues that seem to rumble around our group, contributing to a growing view that (sadly) the football is becoming more of a faff and question whether they will bother with an ST in future. The sad thing is these are proper fans whose mojo is being eroded.

- I also question the flat atmosphere inside the Amex, something us fans need to address. The pre-match build up often seems a bit tame, not helped by a barely audible PA system

Finally, we do seem to have been unlucky with some shitty weather for home games. which must deter some families and less hardy types.

We'll still do the hard yards because for 90+ minutes among all of the above there is mostly some very decent football to be savoured and a team that needs our support.

I do suspect that if the Albion were banging in the goals to go with the progressive football then these 'issues' might recede in people's thoughts and actual attendances & atmospheres would be greater... far better to be singing the roof off the place than venting frustrations via a few meek boos.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
All the reasons shown in the poll.
There have been a few articles in the press about HOGO, hassle of going out and they can be applied to all sorts of social interactions, not just football.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Agreed.

As for whether banning flasks is justified or not then multiple stadiums (not just football) and venues now ban them - they argue - for security reasons, certainly not just Brighton, and have done for years.
In fact the ban at Brighton must be getting on for 4 seasons now.
Yes. But no one swallows that it is about security do they.

There is a reason the phrase 'comparisons are odious' has remained in our language for a long time and it plays out well here. Telling someone that something they've enjoyed for donkeys years will not be okay (without good reason) due to this rule being enforced elsewhere is specious to say the least.

There would be many more effective ways to hurt people in a football crowd if terrorists wanted to, than making a fake flask of tea.

No one advocates banning cars from near large crowds leaving the match. Yet that would be highly effective in causing mortality. Flasks are banned as it is easy to do so and clubs can make a little more $$$ at the same time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think a lot of people have certain apps or firesticks which allow you to watch any game from the sofa in your front room.
So why lash out on a ticket and travel in the first place.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

The answer should be "because it's fun".

I've always had the attitude of preferring to be there at the ground compared to watching on TV, even if it was free, but with reduced staff on the trains leading to cancellations and overcrowding, expensive tickets and rules for everything it's no surprise many can't be bothered. I hated lockdown football so I'm still liking being back but I can see why some don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here