Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why fewer bums on seats at PL games?

Why are there fewer people in grounds?

• Covid Concerns

Votes: 104 63.0%
  • Covid Restrictions

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Price

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • Out of the habit

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Agreed the cost and the faff put some people off but its certainly feasible and thousands have signed up and are doing it so presumably people are still having a nice day out at the Albion except when we draw. And is £20 to share your ticket and £15 to be a member really "silly levels of cost" (for entire season). or are you just saying it should be free (fair enough).

I have no intention of missing any game but things crop up that means I seem to always miss a couple, sometimes not knowing until day before. I feel strongly in these cases I should be able to pass my ticket on for no cost like I do when cant attend Theatre etc.
You say 1000s have signed up. Who knows if those figures are true but if they are very good. As I have said many times, it is ideal for those that want to share cost of a ST or because of family or work and cant commit to many games. Although I am not in that catorgary it is though a case of those that find it financially difficult paying more for there ticket which I think is sad.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Price - Difficult because in a sense it is throwing money away but I currently don't mind keeping my season ticket direct debit going until Barber kicks me out for not attending.

I think if any Albion fan had their ST cancelled for not attending this season it would be very harsh, especially if fans are worried about Covid, I will also add having one 3pm Saturday home game probably doesn’t suit everyone.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
On the footballing front, I can take possession based football all day long. I love it!

What I don't love so much is the Premier League 'experience'. I find it lacks excitement when you're playing in a league you have no realistic chance of winning. Years of mid table mediocrity or flirting with relegation, with the odd sniff of European football maybe, is a all a bit meh. Give me playing in The Championship all day long. Easily the best League to play in for me.

Also Var. There are several other reasons I chucked in our season tickets just before Covid hit, but Var was really high up on the list of reasons I stopped enjoying going to games.
The championship is only fun when you have a chance of promotion, I don’t think anyone here would want to go back to a Hypia season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have no intention of missing any game but things crop up that means I seem to always miss a couple, sometimes not knowing until day before. I feel strongly in these cases I should be able to pass my ticket on for no cost like I do when cant attend Theatre etc.
You say 1000s have signed up. Who knows if those figures are true but if they are very good. As I have said many times, it is ideal for those that want to share cost of a ST or because of family or work and cant commit to many games. Although I am not in that catorgary it is though a case of those that find it financially difficult paying more for there ticket which I think is sad.
I guess in theory a screen shot of the ticket QR code sent to whoever would technically….

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The championship is only fun when you have a chance of promotion, I don’t think anyone here would want to go back to a Hypia season.

Nope, but neither would I want to go back to a Hughton season in the Premier.

In fact, the last season under Hughton was when the rot set in for me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Quite enjoyed the first PL season and half of the next.
You do have a point though when I witnessed last weeks excitement over two draws ( I could understand for two last minute winners) I was generally thinking this game has gone to the dogs. Good finishes from Maupay but instead of running around like he’s won the cup get that ball back to centre spot and try and nick three points.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You do have a point though when I witnessed last weeks excitement over two draws ( I could understand for two last minute winners) I was generally thinking this game has gone to the dogs. Good finishes from Maupay but instead of running around like he’s won the cup get that ball back to centre spot and try and nick three points.

To be clear, if I still had our season tickets but was thinking of giving them up, Potterball wouldn't even figure on the list of reasons why. I love our football under Potter and the direction he's taking us in. I felt the same about Poyet.

In my case, there were lots of reasons for giving up. Son away at University, a daughter no longer interested, nervousness with sharing tickets, Southern Fail, Premier League razzmatazz bollox, kick offs all over the place, and then VAR as the straw that finally broke the camel's back.

To also be clear, if I still had our Season Tickets, I wouldn't be going anywhere near crowds at the moment due to Covidiots.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think your comments about last minute equalizers are way off. Especially an incredible overhead kick along with a 98th minute goal. Those moments make drawing seem like a victory.

Many times we've been on the other side and thrown points away, and the feeling was just like defeat. Football should be emotional and emotions don't care for the rational idea that it's 'only a point' they recognize rescuing something that appeared to be lost, in a dramatic fashion.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Taken to walking to/from the Amex (about 4 miles each way) to avoid packed public transport, which I think is where the main Covid risk lies, though the concourses are also uncomfortably crowded.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the footballing front, I can take possession based football all day long. I love it!

What I don't love so much is the Premier League 'experience'. I find it lacks excitement when you're playing in a league you have no realistic chance of winning. Years of mid table mediocrity or flirting with relegation, with the odd sniff of European football maybe, is a all a bit meh. Give me playing in The Championship all day long. Easily the best League to play in for me.

Also Var. There are several other reasons I chucked in our season tickets just before Covid hit, but Var was really high up on the list of reasons I stopped enjoying going to games.

Good post, but I’m less bothered by VAR this season, some of the complete nonsense has been scrubbed.

Taking stock by looking back, attending Albion home games/Amex meant so much more to me in 2011 (incredible new stadium) and say 2015 to 2017 (winning football, great vibe). Than now.

Use to be excited pre match. How many will we score, will we take all 3 points? And so often we did.

Now: standing in queues in the cold to see losing/drawn home games for the fifth season, 4 hours invested, just doesn’t excite me.

Perhaps if I was drinking 5 or 6 pints of beer, downing my second burger, that would give me a different view of matchdays and a 50’ waist :lolol:.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think your comments about last minute equalizers are way off. Especially an incredible overhead kick along with a 98th minute goal. Those moments make drawing seem like a victory.

Many times we've been on the other side and thrown points away, and the feeling was just like defeat. Football should be emotional and emotions don't care for the rational idea that it's 'only a point' they recognize rescuing something that appeared to be lost, in a dramatic fashion.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I did say two good finishes:shrug: No draw away is a bad point but it does seem the best we can expect these days is a draw. Imagine how sweet it would be if they were winners.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Re an earlier comment on here about Burton Albion not having "premier league coffee" ...

Burton sell Douwe Egberts in the cup coffee ... exact same as what they sell at Villa Park - apart from about 30% cheaper for exact same product ...

From memory one is £1.80 and the other £2.50 or so .. though obviously first one not PL as is too cheap ...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Re an earlier comment on here about Burton Albion not having "premier league coffee" ...

Burton sell Douwe Egberts in the cup coffee ... exact same as what they sell at Villa Park - apart from about 30% cheaper for exact same product ...

From memory one is £1.80 and the other £2.50 or so .. though obviously first one not PL as is too cheap ...

I was taking the p out of the EPL, with its crafty product differentiation, even the coffee’s better.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Burton Albion.

Latterly reinforced by:

B44B2C28-54AC-44ED-AEF5-CC80C5726832.png

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, three wins in 23 games was pretty painful. But had some bloody great wins - Man United, West Ham etc.

Need more of that please.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I did say two good finishes:shrug: No draw away is a bad point but it does seem the best we can expect these days is a draw. Imagine how sweet it would be if they were winners.

If we’d taken all our chances this season we’d be challenging the top three, I think you may be aiming higher than a tenth place finish this season?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If we’d taken all our chances this season we’d be challenging the top three, I think you may be aiming higher than a tenth place finish this season?
No one takes all their chances, I’m actually against the crowd on here and don’t think a striker will be the saviour we need others to chip in with goals. I’m a bit disappointed with Lallana he scored a few for Liverpool can’t seem to hit a barn door for us, the rest of his play is superb so may be a little critical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here