Why Don't You Support England?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
never really got this,somehow it's become cool not to support England

for me it's an unconditional thing like following the Albion

is it the fact that the players are overpaid prima donnas?

doesn't really stand up that argument,as most players in the football league are grossly overpaid

maybe it's because England always under achieve?

can't really use that either,it's like admitting you didn't support Brighton when they were sh*t

are you worried you might be considered some sort of nationalistic freak,such is the stigma of flying the flag of St George

why are the Scots,Welsh & Irish more patriotic than us English?

Brazil v England this weekend,will you watch it?

take out the european/world cups this is about as big as it gets for England,maybe with the exception of the Jocks

I really don't get it,why don't you support England?

Don't know really, just doesn't appear on my radar very often and not bothered when it does. Had no idea we were playing Brazil this weekend, and now I know, it doesn't interest me at all. Friendlies are dull at the best of times, just money spinners with nothing at stake. Because we don't use them to experiment in case we lose and get slated in the press, they don't tell us anything we don't already know.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This is not just an England problem I would argue the quality of international football has declined significantly.

Club football and it's mix of nationalities and top players is fast replacing internationals as the peak of the game and players seem to view internationals as exhibition matches

The world cups and euro tournaments of late have been a disappointment with the top sides and players failing to give a good account of themselves and the quality of display being largely poor

Like it or not club football had surpassed internationals and the frustration is that's not how it should be and we all pine for the days pulling in your country's shirt was the pinnacle of players careers

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This is not just an England problem I would argue the quality of international football has declined significantly.

Club football and it's mix of nationalities and top players is fast replacing internationals as the peak of the game and players seem to view internationals as exhibition matches

The world cups and euro tournaments of late have been a disappointment with the top sides and players failing to give a good account of themselves and the quality of display being largely poor

Like it or not club football had surpassed internationals and the frustration is that's not how it should be and we all pine for the days pulling in your country's shirt was the pinnacle of players careers

Club players play and train with each othe day in, day out, and can buy players to fill positions, with internationals you're stuck with what you've got. It's no surprise club teams play at a better level than international teams.

There are many reasons why my support of the England team has over the last few years been waning.

This bunch of utter clowns is just one of them, I simply refuse to go to watch another International all the time they are there.

England-band-008.jpg

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I agree with the OP. it's our country and our team. A different point, but I always want the other home nations to do well and support them (except when they play England obviously).

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Still get a buzz when I watch England on TV, although that quickly turns to disappointment, not only at the inevitable result but also the fact that the England Supporters Band get let into the grounds :tosser:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Mainly because of that bloody band - the FA have seriously got to get a grip and stop them as general feeling among fans is against them !! They get paid to go to England games and RUIN the atmosphere and then get portrayed in the media as loyal fans !! If you got paid to go to a football game then you would as well !!

Oh and the style of football is shocking - and its constant disappointment, you just know we will never win anything !!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh and the style of football is shocking - and its constant disappointment, you just know we will never win anything !!

According to Roy England played like Dortmund on Tuesday :snigger:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
never really got this,somehow it's become cool not to support England

for me it's an unconditional thing like following the Albion

is it the fact that the players are overpaid prima donnas?

doesn't really stand up that argument,as most players in the football league are grossly overpaid

maybe it's because England always under achieve?

can't really use that either,it's like admitting you didn't support Brighton when they were sh*t

are you worried you might be considered some sort of nationalistic freak,such is the stigma of flying the flag of St George

why are the Scots,Welsh & Irish more patriotic than us English?

Brazil v England this weekend,will you watch it?

take out the european/world cups this is about as big as it gets for England,maybe with the exception of the Jocks

I really don't get it,why don't you support England?

1) The players make it almost impossible for you to like them: Cole, Terry and Rooney are individuals I have no time for.
2) The football is prehistoric and lacking any wit, artistry, thought or technical ability.
3) The constant bleating and excuses from the players is tedious.
4) The is no coherent plan or process for the national team. All you get is this seemingly endless cycle of hope, failure, embarrassment and blame; then a new group of players come along and the cycle starts again. After previous failures the FA always stated they'd undertake a "root and branch" analysis of what went wrong; they don't even bother with this anymore. By the way, have any of these reports ever come to light?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
After previous failures the FA always stated they'd undertake a "root and branch" analysis of what went wrong; they don't even bother with this anymore. By the way, have any of these reports ever come to light?

The fa can't afford for their reports to become public as, I suspect, they would finish with the recommendation that the fa hierarchy would find too painful. I.e. that they reform and start that awful organization again from scratch.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Since 1970 World Cup I have been hooked on following England. I know they disappoint more than the Albion have over the years, rate themselves way too high and at the mo' are pretty poor - but, it is my team. What else is there to say?

I am not a patriotic person, this is just football. I do not see a national obligation to support them , if others do not, then that is their right and fine by me - there are no "shoulds" about it.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
They lost me in the World Cup when we played Algeria. They visibly COULD. NOT. BE. F*CKED. and then that pond life Rooney had the temerity to complain about the fans when they were booed off.
The end of that tournament should've been a watershed for England, the opportunity to get rid of the old guard who take their places for granted and to bring in a fresh hungry group. Wankers like Ferdinand shouldn't be bleating to the press when they're dropped, they should knuckle down and fight for a place.Retiring from international football? Bollocks, when fit a player should ALWAYS be available. We need a manager with the balls to knock the ego's sideways, make them realise it's the ultimate honour to be picked by your country for ANYTHING. It's not a right because you're a so called big name and anyone that thinks it is should be shown the door. Playing for England should be all about desire, not an opportunity to ratchet up your profile for your advertising endorsements.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Always support England but they are piss poor at the moment.

If I hear one more comment about "world class Wayne Rooney" as he walks aimlessly out to the wing to scowl and pick his nose..:angry:

But we do have the best average attendances out of nearly all our rivals

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
As I've grown up I've found myself caring about the Albion more and caring about England less. :shrug: no malice in it, it's just how it has gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports