Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why dont we have an Olympic Footie Team

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Or golf..

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Once upon a time all Olympic entrants were amateur. It still doesn't seem right that millionaire tennis players are in the Olympics, now.

Tennis, Football and Golf should not be in the Olympics. I have a feeling that golf will not be in the next one after the top 4 players in the world all pulled out citing vika fears.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Because we host the best League in the world, so it's all an irrelevance for the mighty England

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Once upon a time all Olympic entrants were amateur. It still doesn't seem right that millionaire tennis players are in the Olympics, now.

They may not be millionaires but there are not many (any? quote me one) GB likely medal winners who are not full-time sportspeople courtesy of National Lottery. In the 70s/80s the 'amateurs' of Eastern bloc were supposedly in the forces while being pumped with growth hormone. Yeah, right. Sure the Olympiads up to post war were largely amateur but things have rather moved on.

My favourite bit of Olympic trivia is that Pierre Coubertin himself won a gold medal in 1912 for a poem. How wonderful is that?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They may not be millionaires but there are not many (any? quote me one) GB likely medal winners who are not full-time sportspeople courtesy of National Lottery. In the 70s/80s the 'amateurs' of Eastern bloc were supposedly in the forces while being pumped with growth hormone. Yeah, right. Sure the Olympiads up to post war were largely amateur but things have rather moved on.

My favourite bit of Olympic trivia is that Pierre Coubertin himself won a gold medal in 1912 for a poem. How wonderful is that?

Funding from the Lottery started in the 90s so there were a few decades of amateur sportspeople after the war.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here