Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why don't British players have great nicknames

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hilariously- according to a recent programme- Charlie Oatway's nickname for Kuszczak is The Microwave, because apparently, his head's as big as...wait for it....a MICROWAVE.

Who WOULDN'T want to be part of the cutting edge comedy banter in a football changing room, eh? What will they think of next? Cutting up clothes? Deep heat in the underpants? Crazy, crazy times.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Not many decent football nicknames. "Chopper" Harris didn't take much imagination. One who didn't need a nickname was former dutch footballer Leo Beenhakker as been means leg. I liked the Poirot episode when it had to be explained to him (Poirot) why Hastings was called battler.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I suppose perhaps there is a difference between nicknames the players give themselves and those awarded to them by fans.

I don't suppose Vicente walks around the changing room shaking new team-mates' hands and saying "Hi, I'm the Dagger"; equally I doubt very much Dean Wilkins has ever thought of setting up a Twitter account in the name of [MENTION=15897]wendy[/MENTION]4

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Hilariously- according to a recent programme- Charlie Oatway's nickname for Kuszczak is The Microwave, because apparently, his head's as big as...wait for it....a MICROWAVE.

Who WOULDN'T want to be part of the cutting edge comedy banter in a football changing room, eh? What will they think of next? Cutting up clothes? Deep heat in the underpants? Crazy, crazy times.

To be fair Charlie Oatway's humour is notoriously bad.I think it comes under the category "so bad it's good until you realise it actually is that bad". The only one he ever came out with which made me laugh was when australian Paul Reid wore a black armband to mourn the loss of the Ashes in 2005. Oatway told hime if he wanted to wear something that truly represented his country he should go out for the second half wearing shackles.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair Charlie Oatway's humour is notoriously bad.I think it comes under the category "so bad it's good until you realise it actually is that bad". .

WHAT? Are you allowed to say that? It is a truth universally recognised that Oatway is the Funniest Man In Football, even funnier than the side-splitting Ian Holloway.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
El Punal and the Cyclone are quite cool but usually Spanish nicknames are as bad as any,

Witness the fresh faced Torres : The boy

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Cricket has hundreds of them...e.g All Hands ( Zondecki ) Whispering Death ( Holding ) White Lightning ( Donald ) Fat Cat ( Ritchie ) Horse ( Arnold ) Smokin ( Richards ) Beefy ( Botham ) FEC ( Atherton ) etc etc etc.
Tennis....' the leaning tower of Pasadena ' ( Stan Smith ) ' the wild bull of the Pampas ' ( Vilas ) Superbrat ( McEnroe ) Rocket ( Laver ) etc etc
Boxing....well virtually every fighter has one.
As for football.....well there doesn't seem to be much imagination around!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Cricket has hundreds of them...e.g All Hands ( Zondecki ) Whispering Death ( Holding ) White Lightning ( Donald ) Fat Cat ( Ritchie ) Horse ( Arnold ) Smokin ( Richards ) Beefy ( Botham ) FEC ( Atherton ) etc etc etc.
Tennis....' the leaning tower of Pasadena ' ( Stan Smith ) ' the wild bull of the Pampas ' ( Vilas ) Superbrat ( McEnroe ) Rocket ( Laver ) etc etc
Boxing....well virtually every fighter has one.
As for football.....well there doesn't seem to be much imagination around!

Have to say that "All Hands" for Zondecki is my favourite. i'd forgotten that one.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
"Razor" Ruddock is perhaps a little more in the same vein as "The Dagger", although judging by the size of him now "Mallet" might be a more accurate nickname

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Because footballers are generally quite stupid. They lack the wit to come up with much, so they just contract (or add a "y" to) their actual name (note: each team must also throw in an inevitable Chopper & a Sicknote as standard).

Hence our dressing room almost certainly resounds to Kush, Greersy, Ads/Chopper, Dunky, Bridgey, Paints, Bridds, Dave, Calde, Barnsey, Macca, Bucks, Kaz, Sicknote, Andy, Dobes, Jakey, Hammo, Croftsy and er, Leo (who 30 years ago would probably have been tagged General Belgrano or something).

According to DIXIE on the most recent podcast, the Albion players call Dave 'La Liga'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here