Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why doesn't FIFA just shove it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This. It all gets way too much. My son is in Cubs. He does the parade on Remembrance Sunday and I go with him to the service. The whole family get poppies and observe the silence on the 11th. That is all about respect.

But modern culture isn't happy with that. modern culture insists that it's observed at every sporting event in the country and shoved on shirts and that Sharon bleedin' Osbourne has to wear a poppy the size of Simon Cowell's head on the XFactor every week from late October. That we petition FIFA because we're "special" (clue, they absolutely hate us already). That we have to have poppies on our Facebook profiles and Twitter avis. And, that if we don't, we're unpatriotic, soldier hating b*****ds. Sod that. It's a mark of respect for the fallen, not a who can protest about caring the most competition.

100%. Remembrance Sunday is special, and should remain so.

I've often wondered whether these centrally encouraged further events are less about the fallen and more politically motivated. Armed Forces Day is an example. Are we showing respect for the sacrifices of those who take up military duty or are we being constructed to conform to an obedience of foreign policy ? I respect our armed forces, I will not be forced to respect our government's choice of deployment.

That is why I worry about the increase in ceremony around this time in November. Solemn respect and remembrance is becoming too political- and that takes away from its proper meaning and, in some ways, shows less respect for those heroes, and that is what they are, who gave their lives.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to bbc sport FIFA have also refused permission for armbands with poppies on having originally refused it on the shirts.

I've only just realised this. I can understand their objections to the shirt with all the rules pertaining to sponsorship but why are they objecting to the armbands, when they've been worn previously?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
No need for a poppy on the shirt as it is against the rules. Just plan a massive full scale political etc. show for the stadium and then times those plans by 10. Paint a huge one on the centre circle, paint the goals red or the whole area behind the goal-line etc.

Stick to the rules but also shove it up FIFA's ares as nobody much abroad would notice the poppy but they'll have 2 hours of noticing that stuff

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No need for a poppy on the shirt as it is against the rules. Just plan a massive full scale political etc. show for the stadium and then times those plans by 10. Paint a huge one on the centre circle, paint the goals red or the whole area behind the goal-line etc.

Stick to the rules but also shove it up FIFA's ares as nobody much abroad would notice the poppy but they'll have 2 hours of noticing that stuff

What sort of sad loser from abroad would want to watch Scotland or England play?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Whoever thought there should be remembrance day ceremonies at last weekends matches doesn't realise it how it diminishes the whole point. If you want to pay your respects buy a poppy on the street and go to your local cenotaph or ceremony on Remembrance Sunday
This. Our self righteous obsession with wearing the poppy does nothing to help remember the fallen. No doubt some poor politician will get slaughtered for getting caught on camera without a poppy at any time in November. Probable a leftie, or a Muslim.

Sent from my UMI_SUPER using Tapatalk

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Whether you consider that wearing a poppy is political or not I suppose depends on if you see the primary purpose of the poppy 'appeal' as 1) to remember the 1.5 million or so British conscripted soldiers that died more than 70 years ago in the first and second world wars saving our country from foreign aggression or 2) whether it is to raise money for professional soldiers who fought in politically and economically motivated conflicts in places like Iraq and Afghanistan and who should probably be financially supported by the government in any case. If its the latter then I think FIFA has a point!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This. Our self righteous obsession with wearing the poppy does nothing to help remember the fallen. No doubt some poor politician will get slaughtered for getting caught on camera without a poppy at any time in November. Probable a leftie, or a Muslim.

Sent from my UMI_SUPER using Tapatalk

Why single out a Muslim? Silly comment.

Don't answer that as it will derail the thread.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whether you consider that wearing a poppy is political or not I suppose depends on if you see the primary purpose of the poppy 'appeal' as 1) to remember the 1.5 million or so British conscripted soldiers that died more than 70 years ago in the first and second world wars saving our country from foreign aggression or 2) whether it is to raise money for professional soldiers who fought in politically and economically motivated conflicts in places like Iraq and Afghanistan and who should probably be financially supported by the government in any case. If its the latter then I think FIFA has a point!

It isn't just for those injured in wars. A serving person could have a car crash or another accident, & still be supported. A lot of help is one off payments, for example, if I lost my mobility & needed a stairlift, I could apply because I served 50 years ago.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
It isn't just for those injured in wars. A serving person could have a car crash or another accident, & still be supported. A lot of help is one off payments, for example, if I lost my mobility & needed a stairlift, I could apply because I served 50 years ago.

Well that makes it even more Political! My wife had a career as a nurse but if she has a car crash or needs a stairlift there is no fund for her to tap in to, why should soldiers benefit from one over and above anyone else in our society?

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Wearing a poppy is a mark of respect, nothing political or commercial. Those how run FIFA should remember that Men and Women died so that they can live their lives in freedom. I hope the FA hand out flags with a picture of a poppy on to all those attending the match and turn away any FIFA official from the stadium.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Well that makes it even more Political! My wife had a career as a nurse but if she has a car crash or needs a stairlift there is no fund for her to tap in to, why should soldiers benefit from one over and above anyone else in our society?

Nurses do not die or get seriously wounded doing their job.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Did your wife volunteer to risk her life on a regular basis ? No , she didn't , THATS why soldiers should benefit over and above anyone else you'd do well to remember that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here