Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does everyone hate the Argus?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Sums it up nicely for me. It's about a lot more than yesterday's pathetic front page. They've become grubbier and more spiteful at an alarming rate in recent years :albion2:

Thanks Mr Studios (although it gives me absolutely no pleasure in posting my opinion of our grubby daily rag).

ps Pleasure to meet you & Mrs Studios at The Constant on Wed. Hopefully see you both in T' North when the Geordies come to town. :)

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I think this Argus-bashing, talks of boycotting it because they reported the facts of a local news story is pathetic, frankly. I didn't hear people calling for a boycott of the nationals who named David Norris and Gary Dobson as the men accused of murdering Stephen Lawrence

Comparing this to that, well done. Anyway I'm sure their friends and supporters did boycott those papers, why would you expect people unrelated to them in anyway to support them?

The point is most people here are Brighton supporters, that's the reason why anyone cares about this, principles are discussed and brought up but at the end of the day these men are part of the club we support otherwise it'd just be another occasion we'd roll our eyes and probably worry about the state of football players in general.

Last edited:

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
I don't buy it anyway because it's a crap newspaper but like pretty much everyone else has said, the use of the picture of the Amex and the club badge it interspace the names of the players, was what made it wrong, not the naming of the players - which, again, the way they headlined it was slightly crass.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Thanks Mr Studios (although it gives me absolutely no pleasure in posting my opinion of our grubby daily rag).

ps Pleasure to meet you & Mrs Studios at The Constant on Wed. Hopefully see you both in T' North when the Geordies come to town. :)
You too, Ms Toes :cheers: see ya saturday :albion2:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Complain to the editor.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
But surely if they didn't publish the names - they would be accused of treating famous people completely differently the other way! Not sure what people expect - Murdoch owns most of the local press anyway!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
But surely if they didn't publish the names - they would be accused of treating famous people completely differently the other way! Not sure what people expect - Murdoch owns most of the local press anyway!

People are complaining not about the fact they published the names but the way they presented it on their front page.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
A while back a family member was plastered over the Argus. The report painted him out to be so bad it was difficult reconciling it with the person you know and love.

After the story was printed a woman tracked us down and said that she was horrified in what she had just read in the paper. She was a witness to the event, had given a statement to the police and could not believe what she was reading. She felt she had to find and contact us so that we didn't believe what had been written because "it just didn't happen like that".

We contacted the editor who just said that's what has been reported by the powers that be so we've printed it. Needless to say the police did not take any action because nothing untoward happened.

D

Deleted member 18477

because its full of shit and they clearly want to give the albion a bad name! anything for money these days. wankers!

bobbycodpiece

Jul 25, 2004
Brighton
None of you were bothered when they were campaining for "Falmer". It's a badly written paper these days so don't buy it anymore. Unless the housing market picks up it will probably run out of advertising revenue anyway soon. Hence headlines to get people to buy it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hate is quite a strong word....and I haven't bought the paper in years...stopped as there didn't seem much in there that was worth reading

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
All the people saying "they were just printing the names because it's their job," READ THE f***ing THREAD.
No-one is getting irate over the fact they named the players, it was the fact that they put their names in huge bold blue on the front page, with a huge picture of the Amex and an Albion badge between each players name. Very tasteless.
Also, surely they shot themselves in the foot with their front page? If I was writing the article, I certainly wouldn't be printing the names in huge writing on the front page as surely by doing this you lose your own scoop? Then people can just look at the front page and know who it is, without having to actually buy the paper.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No need to plaster the stadium picture and club crest all over the front page, what has BHAFC got to do with what did or didnt happen last July?

Why should the club crest which is associated with so many positive things like AITC be associated with this?

This has to be the niaivest post. The whole reason this is news is purely their association with the Albion. The only reason there is this thread is because they are associated with the Albion.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
This has to be the niaivest post. The whole reason this is news is purely their association with the Albion. The only reason there is this thread is because they are associated with the Albion.

:facepalm: So are you happy with the way this was reported on their front page?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's no less and no more than I would have expected. Probably more controversially, I am far more unhappy that these footballers seemingly allowed themselves to get into a situation, that they have left themselves open to accusations like this and as a consequence dragging the clubs name into it.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's no less and no more than I would have expected. Probably more controversially, I am far more unhappy that these footballers seemingly allowed themselves to get into a situation, that they have left themselves open to accusations like this and as a consequence dragging the clubs name into it.

Nail on head.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Is the answer: because it has become an increasingly unscrupulous, poorly researched piece of shit - that seemingly aspires to become some bloated regional equivalent of the 'Red Tops' through appealing to the lowest common denominator?

This, I stopped buying it a couple of years ago. Only the Daily Sport is worse than the fartgas imo its just dreadful.

fozzie's paper boy

Aug 20, 2011
Hove

Er...hold on, there's a lot of presumption going on here about what did or didn't happen - who knows what anyone laid themselves open to at this stage?

On the basis of what you've just said, presumably in the window yesterday between the Argus publishing the names of those arrested and Tommy Elphick being cleared you were unhappy with how he'd 'allowed himself to get dragged into this'...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here