Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why do the detractors throw 'doing a Southampton' around willy-nilly?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Recently I've heard numerous talking heads show their concerns about t'Albion's business model eventually going the same way as Southampton's.

I know you'll find this hard to believe but looking at their last 10 years of transfers, that turns out to be a load of lazy halfarsed bollox.

Like pretty much every other EPL club they've had one big payday, VVD.
But beyond that all they've been try to do is turn £20m signings into £40m sales, over the course of 2 years.

Something they've been particularly shite at.

It's funny how a narrative sticks.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
There’s also some drawing comparisons to Leicester… “you’re only a bad window away from a relegation battle”.

It’s lazy journalism churned out with very little research, but gives them something to talk about.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But has any ‘new’ club really established themselves as a consistent European / top 10 team in the last decade or so? Of course there’s reasons and we are different but history tells us it’s incredibly difficult

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
When Poch was in charge they had a very similar model with a good and exciting manager. It is a lesson for us imho. Without billions we are vulnerable. BUT Bloom is different. We are one bad summer away from being a Southampton but it won't happen..

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Recently I've heard numerous talking heads show their concerns about t'Albion's business model eventually going the same way as Southampton's.

I know you'll find this hard to believe but looking at their last 10 years of transfers, that turns out to be a load of lazy halfarsed bollox.

Like pretty much every other EPL club they've had one big payday, VVD.
But beyond that all they've been try to do is turn £20m signings into £40m sales, over the course of 2 years.

Something they've been particularly shite at.

It's funny how a narrative sticks.
If you look at my history on here, you’ll see I’ve been banging on about this for years, every time this comes up. The comparison to the scummers is just total lazy bollocks.

We’re a brilliantly run club and have been for years with a fan in charge who has no intention of going anywhere. They’ve been rudderless for 10 years and have problems from top to bottom.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Because in recent history the financial power of a handful of clubs has created a de facto closed shop. Teams with less money rise and then get ripped apart. It is unimaginable to anyone that there is any other possible outcome.

I believe Bloom might have other ideas, but then if I didn't I'd be severely depressed by the looming transfer window already. Seems we will be lucky to have enough players to start a game come September if all the weighing up and planned swooping is to be believed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you look at my history on here, you’ll see I’ve been banging on about this for years, every time this comes up. The comparison to the scummers is just total lazy bollocks.

We’re a brilliantly run club and have been for years with a fan in charge who has no intention of going anywhere. They’ve been rudderless for 10 years and have problems from top to bottom.
Even at face value their transfer dealings has been poor.

Aside from VVD even their big money sales 'only' show £20m profit as none are home grown and are just doubling up.

Mane to Liverpool for 'only' £40m 2 years after buying him for £20m is somewhat typical.

It would make sense if they had an academy kid or two, who goes on to fetch £50m, but there's nothing even close to that.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Even at face value their transfer dealings has been poor.

Aside from VVD even their big money sales 'only' show £20m profit as none are home grown and are just doubling up.

Mane to Liverpool for 'only' £40m 2 years after buying him for £20m is somewhat typical.

It would make sense if they had an academy kid or two, who goes on to fetch £50m, but there's nothing even close to that.
The irony is they did have a £50 million academy kid during this time - Benjamin White!

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Whilst we are doing things incredibly well if we lost Tony heaven forbid, like Southampton and Leicester lost their owner, then we would be in very scary territory.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Whilst we are doing things incredibly well if we lost Tony heaven forbid, like Southampton and Leicester lost their owner, then we would be in very scary territory.
In would step his brother/son with the business still in place and we carry on.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
But has any ‘new’ club really established themselves as a consistent European / top 10 team in the last decade or so? Of course there’s reasons and we are different but history tells us it’s incredibly difficult
A few. Atalanta and RB Leipzig are two examples.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
In would step his brother/son with the business still in place and we carry on.
But do they, or will they, have anywhere near the same business acumen and leadership skills? Far from certain. Let’s hope we never have to find out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TBH I'm a little uneasy about how this thread about Southampton's middling to poor transfer activity showing no sign of resembling our own, has rapidly morphed into Mr Bloom's mortality.

Any chance that conversation can be had elsewhere?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
TBH I'm a little uneasy about how this thread about Southampton's middling to poor transfer activity showing no sign of resembling our own, has rapidly morphed into Mr Bloom's mortality.

Any chance that conversation can be had elsewhere?
I'm not sure there's a great deal to expand on from the premise that Southampton are shit and so are most football "journalists".
It's like talking about how the sky is blue.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure there's a great deal to expand on from the premise that Southampton are shit and so are most football "journalists".
It's like talking about how the sky is blue.
Firm but fair.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
. We are one bad summer away from being a Southampton
No, that's exactly the sort of lazy rhetoric this thread debunks.

Of course, your definition of "bad summer" and mine might differ. If you meant De Zerbi leaving, Bloom losing all his money and Barber being caught out in a tabloid sting while all of our players were sold for a fiver I'd agree.

But if you mean Caicedo and MacAllister leaving that's not a bad summer. Replacements either already here or in the pipeline. Might not be as good, of course, but still should leave our squad stronger than, say, Palace's, and with the best coach in the division to inspire them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here