Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do some people care how we are perceived amongst other fans/clubs?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Because the perception of the club also affects things like sponsorship, and recruitment, of both players and staff. If you are perceived poorly, then you will have to pay more to recruit the same people, if they will join at all.

We seem to have worked EXTREMELY hard on our image the last few years, so it is clearly important to the club. But it's taken a bit of a battering the last 6 weeks or so.
I very much doubt this particular incident will effect our ability to sign players or a manager. Do you really think any of this would have happened without an egotistical, loudmouth Uruguayan as manager?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Genuinely interested. I couldn't give a toss if every other club in the league hated us, as long as we are successful.

Because of where we have come from. Can you imagine if everybody hated us in 1995? Where would we have got with fans united etc etc? It's not about clinging to the past, it's about the fact that we have been to the abyss and back, and have built genuine affections for supporters at other clubs and helped them out in their time of need.

I doesn't matter that some people don't give a shit, because they will never be the ones to help. It matters to those who do.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Because of where we have come from. Can you imagine if everybody hated us in 1995? Where would we have got with fans united etc etc? It's not about clinging to the past, it's about the fact that we have been to the abyss and back, and have built genuine affections for supporters at other clubs and helped them out in their time of need.

I doesn't matter that some people don't give a shit, because they will never be the ones to help. It matters to those who do.

I don't think this incident has anything to do with that. We formed good relationships with a lot of different clubs because of the good nature of our supporters, not because our club is perceived to be making the wrong decision. People are way too precious.

It's part of football. Why we sing our songs, why we wear the blue and white, why we banter with supporters of other clubs. We care about being the best, trying to be the best. But when all is said and done, yesterday's news is today's fish and chip paper. Onwards and upwards.

D

Deleted member 22389

Genuinely interested. I couldn't give a toss if every other club in the league hated us, as long as we are successful.

The way it looks is wrong because it makes the club look like the bad guys in all this. It is convienient for the media to forget or miss the original statement that was released at 7:14pm long before the match had even started. Making it look like the manager was sacked on live TV, good for the headlines.

Give it a a few days for the dust settle, let the people behind their keyboards slag our club off, call us names without having the real facts. Eventually they will move on and moan about something else.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's part of football. Why we sing our songs, why we wear the blue and white, why we banter with supporters of other clubs. We care about being the best, trying to be the best. But when all is said and done, yesterday's news is today's fish and chip paper. Onwards and upwards.

Spot on.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I don't think this incident has anything to do with that. We formed good relationships with a lot of different clubs because of the good nature of our supporters, not because our club is perceived to be making the wrong decision. People are way too precious.

What and you don't think the way the club is perceived has got anything to do with it now those supporter relationships are built?

And why does everything has to be about right or wrong with you? Reputations are more often than not built on perception, hence why I think everybody has lost something out of this situation.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I don't feel the slightest bit embarrassed or ashamed of the club, and couldn't give a monkeys what anyone else is saying about the club. My guess is, in any case, that most people in the know, in the football world (which probably excludes most fans, ours and others) will be taking a more balanced view (see the comments by the Posh chairman for example), and the long-term damage will be minimal, if any.

Having said that, it'd be good for all sorts of reasons to move this to a conclusion quickly, and I really believe that's what the club is trying to do. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that a key reason for it having taken so long so far is largely to do with the personality of Gus on the one hand, and the desire of the club to play it by the book on the other hand.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
BHAFC has always been a club we could be proud of - but the club clearly has lost its values, and these days we are more likely to feel ashamed or embarrassed.

You need to engage your brain before posting such nonsense. Seriously, you do. You are letting your undying loyalty to Poyet affect your ability to think clearly.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
What and you don't think the way the club is perceived has got anything to do with it now those supporter relationships are built?

And why does everything has to be about right or wrong with you? Reputations are more often than not built on perception, hence why I think everybody has lost something out of this situation.

I disagree that any perceptions about our fanbase will be made because our club has sacked our manager in an unconventional way.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't feel the slightest bit embarrassed or ashamed of the club, and couldn't give a monkeys what anyone else is saying about the club. My guess is, in any case, that most people in the know, in the football world (which probably excludes most fans, ours and others) will be taking a more balanced view (see the comments by the Posh chairman for example), and the long-term damage will be minimal, if any.

Having said that, it'd be good for all sorts of reasons to move this to a conclusion quickly, and I really believe that's what the club is trying to do. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that a key reason for it having taken so long so far is largely to do with the personality of Gus on the one hand, and the desire of the club to play it by the book on the other hand.

Bingo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here