[Albion] Why do so many of our fans think we are still a 'small club'?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Never understood this need to be perceived as a "big club". It's an impossible thing to quantify.

Big in ground size? Average attendance? Global fanbase? Trophies won? Wage bill? Years in top flight? Number of replica shirts sold? TV viewing figures? Star names on the books?

Ultimately, if it was all about supporting the biggest club, we'd all be Real Madrid or Man U fans. To me Brighton are the biggest club in the world because that's the one I happen to support. I dare say there are people who feel the same way about Cheltenham, Barnet and Port Vale.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Never understood this need to be perceived as a "big club". It's an impossible thing to quantify.

Big in ground size? Average attendance? Global fanbase? Trophies won? Wage bill? Years in top flight? Number of replica shirts sold? TV viewing figures? Star names on the books?

Ultimately, if it was all about supporting the biggest club, we'd all be Real Madrid or Man U fans. To me Brighton are the biggest club in the world because that's the one I happen to support. I dare say there are people who feel the same way about Cheltenham, Barnet and Port Vale.
Dunno about all that, but your avatar is certainly world-class :clap: :bowdown:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It tends to be fans of clubs stuck in the lower leagues, such as Leeds, Wednesday, Sunderland etc, who label clubs like us, Brentford, Fulham, Bournemouth etc as being small - presumably for having the gall of not being an absolute shambles on and off the pitch.

When someone labels us as being a small club, and comes from a fanbase such as those above, I tend to enjoy it because it shows that they've got nothing really of merit to say about their own clubs.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
To become a big club you need your CEO to announce that in 10-15 years you will be challenging for the EPL title and then about half way through that period to announce that you are on the way to the next level.

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
The big clubs in England are Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Villa and Leeds, closely followed by Man City, Everton, Chelsea, Sunderland and Wednesday. And then on a sliding scale from there.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
We are a small team.

IMO a team who sells to make profit on players from the bigger clubs is small. If using either small or big as a reference. As no one really knows what a medium club is - it's either grouped as the rich clubs (and theoretically also the historically big clubs living in a fantasy land still like Sheff Weds, Leeds and Forest - and in Newcastle and Tottenhams case, both) or everyone else is grouped into #teamslikeBrighton

Also, couldn't care less if we are a "small club" or not. We're class on and off the pitch. Rather be a class *club* than a big team

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
To become a big club you need your CEO to announce that in 10-15 years you will be challenging for the EPL title and then about half way through that period to announce that you are on the way to the next level.
But before that you've got to promise an enormous new stand (modeled on your rivals stadium) and then never actually deliver on it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My perception of how “big” we are changed on February 17th 2018

That was the day we played Coventry, then in League 2, in the FA Cup. I’ve always loved lower league clubs fans having a great day out at a top division club, and it suddenly dawned on me, that we were the “big” club Coventry were having a day out at. It was a weird feeling that day.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020

It’s just something that dominates football rhetoric/discussion for those with nothing more interesting or insightful to say. Any pundit that views everything through that lens immediately invalidates anything they have to say (Talksport employs a few of these..)

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Wouldn't bet on us ever selling shirts through a third party as it means the already small amount of profit is split even further.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It seems that most people here think that any club outside The Premier League is a 'small club', and that relegation immediately relegates a club to 'small club' status.

No. Wasn't too long ago that all our fans were local and mustering 10,000 people to a big game would be impressive.

Now we have fans all over Sussex and beyond, from Bognor to Hastings, from Tokyo to Quito. We easily now have thousands, probably tens of thousands, of fans all around the globe. We now dominate the county of Sussex - not Man U or Liverpool, anymore.

We ain't going to lose them, even if we are relegated.

It's why the likes of Newcastle, Wolves and West Ham weren't doomed to become a 'small club' following relegation... and exactly why we won't either.

It's extremely hard for a 'small club' to acquire generations of new fans... but once new fans are required, it would take decades of lower league football to lose them.
I think you do have a point here. During the very dark days, crowds at Gillingham and withdean were poor, compared to today. But during the Withdean years, I recall the Albion saying that they had a database of 20,000 fans. The majority of those fans might not have gone regularly to Withdean, but clearly had not lost their passion for the Albion, as we witnessed as soon as the Amex opened.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
In 2010 I don't think many Sussex cricket supporters looked back on the previous decade and thought we're now 'Big' club .... despite winning 3 county championships, 2 one day leagues, 1 one day cup and a 20/20 trophy.

And I don't think any gave two hoots.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Have we been invited to join the closed shop super league? We can’t be a big cub unless we have had an invite.

Much prefer us to be a club punching above our weight winning matches against so called big clubs.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Stoke City fans’ verdict:

IMG_4335.jpeg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
All the while we sing taunting songs at away games we’ll not be a big club.

Your support is f***ing shit etc.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports