Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people live near rivers?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Or on flood plains? Personally I wouldn't live anywhere except on a hill. Rivers flood when it rains a lot. Then your house gets filled with water and you get very pissed off.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Some people are not very fussy or intelligent.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
a. Because that's all they could afford
b. Because they've lived there for over 30 years and this is the first time they've been flooded
c. Because they're less intelligent than you

Hmm, a, b or c?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Hey - I live near a river and I'm not stupid, so enough of the insults already! Actually, it's a river that only flows when the water table is high enough. It goes through our garden. Hasn't flowed for two years. The kids like it for playing in and it's never flooded the house. However, I appreciate there are downsides and that, in the event of a tidal wave, I'll be ruing my poor decision and wishing I'd headed for the hills. Who lives on a hill anyway - it's windy, rainy and cold. It's snug and sheltered in a valley...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I live within 50 yards of the sea.
No flooding danger but I suppose coastal erosion might get the house one day.Hopefully not in our lifetimes!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's hard to go canoeing on a hill.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I like rivers, they're the future if you ask me. Lovely floods, mark my words, they're going to be the big thing this century. Bit like wars were in the last one.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I live within 50 yards of the sea.
No flooding danger but I suppose coastal erosion might get the house one day.Hopefully not in our lifetimes!

Put rocks at the end of your garden. That will stop 'em!

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I think it's to do with attention-seeking ???

Where else could you appear on national TV news in a little rowing boat going past cars up to their gutters in floodwater?

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
They like the view overlooking a river ??, to water the garden when there is a hose pipe ban, they have a pet duck. I'm sure they have many reasons.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Humans have built settlements near rivers for the entire history of civilisation (and before that), something to do with them tending to die off without having access to water.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Humans have built settlements near rivers for the entire history of civilisation (and before that), something to do with them tending to die off without having access to water.

But that was before river levels and insurance costs started to rise

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here